PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone had a Problem Getting Shell Holder into New Rock Chucker Ram?

milrifle
02-10-2014, 08:46 AM
I bought my son a reloading kit for Christmas 2012. He has just finally gotten everything set up and ready to use. Now he finds that the shell holder has to be practically hammered into the ram. I looked at it yesterday. I didn't force it, but was not able to get it to go with my bare hands. I told him to take the pin out of the linkage and remove the ram so you can better see what is going on. We tried two different shell holders so I think the problem is in the ram, not a bad shell holder. Given that he has had it for over a year and I don't even remember who I got it from, much less still have the receipt, coupled with the bad customer service I have heard about from RCBS, I'm not sure this is going to turn out so well. Has anyone run into this before?

alamogunr
02-10-2014, 08:49 AM
I don't recall any reports of "bad customer service from RCBS". I've never had to test their customer service but others report nothing but good results.

Curlymaple42
02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
I have used their customer service and it was great. Call them up and explain what is going on and see what happens.

Dryball
02-10-2014, 08:53 AM
I have occasionally had problems getting shell holders in the ram but I look at it the other way around. It's easier to "beagle" the shell holder than it is the ram. Most likely the diameter in between the two larger ones is a tad too big. Light work with a file or sandpaper took care of the problem in short order. If you know someone else with the rockchucker measure their ram opening and compare.

milrifle
02-10-2014, 09:07 AM
I was referring to this thread about RCBS Customer Service.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?228537-New-RCBS-Customer-Service&highlight=rcbs+customer+service

Sweetpea
02-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Call rcbs.

You'll have a new ram shortly.

USAFrox
02-10-2014, 09:28 AM
RCBS customer service is top notch. When I had to use it, they did the work promptly, and returned the item fixed up, with proof brass to show it works, and all of it was done for free. Give it a try and let them impress you.

alamogunr
02-10-2014, 09:46 AM
I was referring to this thread about RCBS Customer Service.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?228537-New-RCBS-Customer-Service&highlight=rcbs+customer+service

I went to that thread. I didn't count the responses but my guess is that they are at least 50/50, good cust. svc. vs so-so.

Wayne Smith
02-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Call them, give them a chance. Since this is their flagship press I think they will make it right. Report back what they say.

milrifle
02-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Guys. Will do.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Problems like this didn't used to happen when the Rock Chuckers were made in USA.

altheating
02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
I had a problem with mine. It turned out to be the spring clip that holds the shell holder into the ram. Called RCBS last year and they sent me a package of new spring clips. I had to turn the shell holders as I pushed them in. I bet if you call them and relay the problem they will take good care of you. Let us know.

Bayou52
02-10-2014, 08:48 PM
RCBS has an outstanding reputation for customer service. I've never had an unpleasant experience with them.

milrifle
02-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Altheating,

That may be what is wrong with his. The shell holder will start into the slot and if you twist it somewhat (Actually says do that in the instructions), it looks like it wants to go, but it just won't do it. Not with your fingers. He was able to get one in an out but he was prying on it, but I wasn't there that day, so I didn't see it.

I've got a Reloader Special that I've had for nearly 30 years. I'm quite happy with it. I was disappointed that he is having trouble with his Rock Chucker.

btroj
02-10-2014, 10:16 PM
I can't get some shell holders into the ram on my Redding T7. I just replace them with Redding holders and they fit perfectly.

Seems universal shell holders aren't as universal as one would think

Ozark Howler
02-10-2014, 11:01 PM
I had the same problem with a RCBS Summit, I tried a number of different brand holders, Lee's seemed to work better than RCBS or Lyman's. I hand cleaned the ram slot with a small file and got most of the holders to work OK. Somewhat disappointed in RCBS's recent quality issues, but I guess that's what you get when the bottom line overrides quality

milrifle
02-11-2014, 05:11 PM
My son e-mailed them yesterday during lunch. No response as of yet.

milrifle
02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
No response on the e-mail, so he called them today. He said he got a real English speaking person who is sending him a new ram. Sounds like the rumors were an exaggeration.

btroj
02-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Rumors were exaggeration?

What? I don't buy that. If it is on the net it must be true!

Bjornb
02-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Had this problem with my RCBS Partner press. Turned out that if I lifted the ram about a quarter inch the shell holder slid right in.

alamogunr
02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Had this problem with my RCBS Partner press. Turned out that if I lifted the ram about a quarter inch the shell holder slid right in.

My Rockchucker works that way. I guess I thought that it was normal.

milrifle
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Not on this one. I was trying two handed with the ram half way up. It weren't a goin'.

frkelly74
02-13-2014, 09:30 AM
I have found that some shell holders do slide in easier than others. Some are actually loose in the ram. The original RCBS holder for 30-06 sized cases that I got when I first started reloading back in 68 with my RCBS JR was always among the tightest fitting. Lees holders tend to be a little loose.

PbHurler
02-14-2014, 07:47 AM
If these were RCBS shellholders, I've got nothing.

I've had the same issue on one Redding shellholder in my Rockchucker, turned out it was the shellholder out of spec.

milrifle
02-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Yes, they were RCBS shell holders. We tried two different shell holders and neither would go with your bare hands. There is a remote possibility that both shell holders were out of spec, but my money is on the ram.

PbHurler
02-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Yes, they were RCBS shell holders. We tried two different shell holders and neither would go with your bare hands. There is a remote possibility that both shell holders were out of spec, but my money is on the ram.

I'd be inclined to agree. Hope it gets worked out for you.

1hole
02-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Reloading companies agreed to standard maunfactoring specifications for interchangeable dies and shell holders in the 50s. RCBS has a reputation for not getting the ram slots quite right. I fixed my own RC II's ram so it accepts holders freely but it wasn't a 3 minute task.

Big green will usually (not always) replace anything but it's not accurate to say they do it for "free". The buyer pays dearly for those "free" parts up front, whether he ever needs them or not. The value of getting free parts differs mostly by how much stuff we can screw up. I've been handloading for nearly 50 years and have tools from every current maker 'cept Dillon; I've only needed a half dozen small parts, total; some wore out, some I screwed up myself. What little I got from RCBS was free but so was most of what I got from the others and what I paid for cost me less than $10. I've saved at least fifteen times that much, over all, by buying a lot of less costly brand tools that work fully as well as green.

Vulcan Bob
02-14-2014, 08:58 PM
I use a relatively new Rock Chucker and all of my well used from RCBS, Lyman and Lee shell holders gave no troubles at all. I added a few new to me calibers to load for and of course brand new shell holders (RCBS and Lee) and ran into the same thing you did. I found that if I thumbed them straight in it was a no go but if I did it with a bit of rotation they would pop right in. After a bit of use they go in much easier.

Freischütz
02-15-2014, 09:19 PM
My Rock Chucker is about 40 years old. Some Herters shellholders have been too thick to fit the ram's slot, but they are the only brand I ever had trouble with.

Wayne Smith
02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
So ... Have you called and what did they say?

mummer1973
02-16-2014, 08:26 PM
i just called rcbs for a part that was missing from a 5-0-2 scale. i called them and they sent a replacement part right out.
as a matter of fact they sent two pieces and one i didnt even need.

EDG
02-16-2014, 09:20 PM
I cannot make that claim since I bought a lot of my stuff used and/or bought it long before Lee ever manufactured presses or dies. If you have been reloading 50 years you could not buy Lee presses or dies in the beginning either. The so called savings on low priced stuff often is no such thing since for the most part it does not really do the same function just as well.
Example - The Lee powder scale and powder measures, the early Lee presses and the various Lee shotgun loading jokes. Lee seater dies are 3rd rate. Lee die lock rings with the rubber O rings are a bottom of the barrel attempt to differentiate their products in the market place- basically an answer to a perceived problem that is actually creates worse problems than what they are expected to correct.

Reloading companies agreed to standard maunfactoring specifications for interchangeable dies and shell holders in the 50s. RCBS has a reputation for not getting the ram slots quite right. I fixed my own RC II's ram so it accepts holders freely but it wasn't a 3 minute task.

Big green will usually (not always) replace anything but it's not accurate to say they do it for "free". The buyer pays dearly for those "free" parts up front, whether he ever needs them or not. The value of getting free parts differs mostly by how much stuff we can screw up. I've been handloading for nearly 50 years and have tools from every current maker 'cept Dillon; I've only needed a half dozen small parts, total; some wore out, some I screwed up myself. What little I got from RCBS was free but so was most of what I got from the others and what I paid for cost me less than $10. I've saved at least fifteen times that much, over all, by buying a lot of less costly brand tools that work fully as well as green.

r1kk1
02-16-2014, 09:33 PM
I paid 5.00 for quite a few RCBS dies found at yard sales etc to as high as 20.00.

They are still under warranty.

Take care

r1kk1

milrifle
02-17-2014, 01:35 PM
So ... Have you called and what did they say?

Yes. See post 18. I haven't talked with him in a few days. I don't know if it has come in yet or not.

ROGER4314
02-18-2014, 02:39 AM
In all of the years that I've bought reloading gear, I had ONE RCBS shell holder that absolutely would not go into my Rock Chucker ram. I put a wire tie around it and stopped trying to use it. After checking dimensions and looking for damage, I finally gave up on it. That being said, be sure the shell holder isn't the problem. It looks like you've been careful to check that.

RCBS customer service is great! Give them a chance to fix the problem.

Flash

milrifle
02-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Report:

My son received his new ram yesterday. He has not installed it, but he did try his shell holders in it. He said they slid in and snapped into place, just like they should.

Walter Laich
02-21-2014, 02:37 PM
good news for sure
glad it worked out and now to the fun of reloading
Let the Games Begin