PDA

View Full Version : Those pesky in-betweeners

Elkins45
02-10-2014, 12:03 AM
I cast and loaded a huge batch of 38 boolets today and lubed a few hundred. I was planning to change lubes in my sizer when I ran out the batch that was in it, so when the piston bottomed out I put in a stick of my latest mix (Fryxell's Moly-Graph formula in this case) and resumed sizing.

I never cease to be amazed by how much lube is still hiding inside the sizer even when the reservoir is empty. I would estimate I lubed 200 more boolets before I began seeing the new lube appear in the grooves. Now, in the case of pistol boolets these "in-betweeners" that have a mix of two different lubes aren't a concern, but for rifle boolets there might be enough of a difference that long range accuracy could go all goofy.

With my luck I can imagine shooting perfect groups with the mixed up lube that would never be repeatable. Do any of you rifle shooters segregate the in-betweeners or do all of you completely clean out your sizers when changing lube?

fryboy
02-11-2014, 12:37 AM
figure in a empty sizer over half of the first stick fills the bottom and the die ( give or take .4 to .7-ish of a ounce ) i always figure for a complete fill up to have at least two sticks handy and maybe a knife to cut the second down to fit

depends upon the lube properties , if similar eh not so problematic , if totally switching lube or doing lube test i clean it out
awhile back i saw a foto someone posted that had different colored lube in each groove [shrugz]
the real prolblem with this is as the percentages of each change on the sized boolit which would of been the magic combo ? :kidding:

runfiverun
02-11-2014, 02:30 AM
I push the old lube out the hole provided on the stars.
if I'm doing a lube test I lube by hand and just size the hand lubed boolits, you get pretty good at it after enough practice.

gwpercle
02-11-2014, 02:18 PM
I had to read this to find out what the heck an in-betweener was. Now I know!

geargnasher
02-11-2014, 02:20 PM
It means something different in the Appalachians, Austin, and San Francisco.

Gear

Elkins45
02-11-2014, 03:41 PM
It means something different in the Appalachians, Austin, and San Francisco.

Gear

Yeah, but in the Appalachians (where I grew up) the adjective preceding the term was never "pesky".

btroj
02-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Use the tweeners for plinking.

bhn22
02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
When I switched from Carnuba Red to LBT Soft Blue, I had multicolored swirl art for weeks. It was kind of cool. I still get a spot of red once in a while.