PDA

View Full Version : Italian HighWall?

curator
02-09-2014, 06:20 PM
I am considering buying an Italian replica "high wall" rifle in .40-65 from a fellow club member. Is there any advantage of an Uberti over a Pedersoli or vice-verse? I had heard they were all made by one factory and marketed by both. Any truth to this?

wch
02-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Apparently Beretta owns Uberti and Pedersoli is a different company altogether; this doesn't mean that they wouldn't subcontract from the same supplier, however.

NSB
02-09-2014, 06:36 PM
It's my understanding that Uberti makes the receivers Pedersoli uses on the High Walls they sell under their name. Pedersoli reworks the receivers somewhat and uses their barrels on the receiver. Pedersoli barrels are head and shoulders above Uberti rifle barrels. In fact, Pedersoli makes some of the best barrels you can find. Tapered bore and mirror smooth rifling where the Uberti's have been described as "rifled with a tap". I can't swear to that but that seems to be the consensus on the BPCR web site. Pedersoli makes their High Wall in both 45-70 and 38-55.

HGS
02-13-2014, 11:45 PM
I shoot both brands, one in 40-65 and the other rebarreled in 50-110 and have noticed no difference in the actions.

HGS

Kraschenbirn
02-14-2014, 12:12 PM
My Uberti Highwall (.38-55) was my first BPCR and, intially, I was somewhat disappointed with its accuracy but what I thought (at the time) might be a 'barrel problem' gradually disappeared as I learned...by 'trial & error' plus some really good advice from the forum...how to cast and load for it. Now, six years later, it's my 'go-to' rifle for mid-range. Not to brag but, off the bench @ 200M, it'll hold its own against most of our AR-shooters with their 'tactical' scopes and Harris bipods.

I'm aware that some have encountered 'bad' barrels with Uberti guns but, speaking only from my 'hands on' experience, my Uberti Highwall gives up nothing to my Pedersoli RB for fit, finish, or accuracy...and both shoot considerably better than my 'original' RB - an Argentine #1 rebarreled to .45-70 sometime in it's foggy past.

Bill

jlmurphy
02-15-2014, 02:43 PM
My Uberti High Wall in 40 65 had a 1 in 20 twist barrel, which would limit you to lighter bullets. I have since rebarreled to 1 in 16 and use 420 gr Money bullets. No complaints about the action.

curator
02-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Many thanks to all who responded. Your advise is much appreciated. I ended up with the Browning BPCR in .40-65

NSB
02-16-2014, 10:37 AM
curator, you ended up with an excellent choice. The Browning BPCR is an outstanding rifle. There is a gentleman who posts on here and several other sites who is somewhat an authority on these guns. He is also willing to respond to posts and emails from those looking for help or advice. He's written a couple of books about these guns and really knows what he's talking about. Visit his website and look around. www.texas-mac.com

Chakta
02-18-2014, 09:54 PM
I also have rifles by both Italian gun makers....Workmanship is very good, accuracy is very good. Metal to wood fit is excellent in most cases. Wood stocks are for the most part average, even though you may see a picture of a fine walnut stock on their guns, don't think your new gun will be that way. I know as I paid for such a walnut stock and never received it period.