PDA

View Full Version : the got it right the first time

olafhardt
02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
I have been intrigued by the concept of guns that were spot on right when they were brought out. By spot on I mean they were brought out in a new caliber, a new action, etc. The examples I have in mind are the Smith & Wesson Military and Police revolver in 38 special, 1911 ACP in 45 ACP, Model 94 Winchester in 30WCF, Colt 1973 Single Action Army in 45 Long Colt. I would like to eastablish a few rules:
1) The gun must still be in production in the iconic chambering. Thus the Savage 99 in 250/3000 doesnot qualify.
2) lf some other caliber or gun was brought out because of bureaucratic clamoring or chicanery that is not a disqualifer. Like Winchester bringing out the 94 out in 32/40 before the 30/30 or Ruger getting out a Blackhawk 44 mag before S&W got out the 29 by getting the plans out of the garbage.
3) Large numbers of the gun relative to its use must have been produced. It would take less S&W 500's than model 29's and less 29's than 10's.
We may need to change the rules. It would be good to get some discussion of the the subjects. For example I find it

olafhardt
02-09-2014, 06:08 PM
I find it intriquing how many new cartridges have been introduced that are supposed to improve or replace the 30/30 and are gone today.

I'll Make Mine
02-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Aside from "still in production" I'd have to think the Mosin Nagant rifle would be in this category -- produced in various countries for 80+ years without substantive changes (barrel length, sights, and stock changed), in the tens of millions (seventeen million just for WWII, I've seen total production since 1891 cited as about 37 million), still in military service after 120+ years, and a Russian WWII production rifle in good condition, with just the slightest adjustments (trigger tuning and barrel floating) is capable of sniper accuracy. The Russian military is still producing and using the original 7.62x54R round in its WWI form (steel jacket, steel core boat tail spire point, which replaced the cupro-nickel jacketed lead core round nose in 1914 or so).

The AK-47 is probably another fine candidate for this honor -- 70+ years, still in production without major changes and using the original 7.62x39 round, and the most produced firearm type in history. Reliable even under harsh conditions, accurate enough for an assault rifle, simple and cheap to build and maintain -- and versatile enough that the basic operating mechanism is adaptable to many other rounds, ranging from the 5.5x39 to 12 ga. shotshells.

dondiego
02-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Daisy Red Ryder - my first

Duckiller
02-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Check your history. 1911's didn't start out right. JMB and USA went through several trials before they got it right. Almost got beat out by a fine Savage pistol. Other tan that what are you asking?

bhn22
02-10-2014, 09:21 PM
And the 1911 wasn't the first of the series. It was at least third, IIRC.