PDA

View Full Version : Kia Ora from NZ ..and am I doing it right?

meece
02-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Kia Ora all (thats a kiwi way of saying hello, gidday, hows it hanging .. etc etc

Little bit about myself first. 48 years old, use guns solely for hunting and pest control (we do pest control on local farms for rabbits, possums, Hares, Goats, Pigs and Deer) and only punch paper with air rifles, First post, joined a week ago and have spent the last week reading 1596 unread posts, pretty much read everything i could on the forum as we are forced to serously look at casting as a vaiable means of obtaining ammo, I live in a provincal town and the only ammo supplier closed down a month ago so I have to drive over 100km to purchase ammo now or order it online which is a right royal pain in the you know what here in NZ (police have to sight firearms liecence and "approve" the sale etc etc) ... so during one of our serches for reloading projectiles for the .270 I came across a lee 7.62x39 boolit mold for only $35, thought now theres a go, if we can buy the powder, primers and componants on line, (which do not require police approved paperwork, only live ammo does ....go figure pfft polititions huh) then we can feed the .270's and 7.62x39's with as much ammo as we need to hunt our ever increasing plauge of goats.

Ok first step
drop a Doz beer around to the local tyre shop in exchange for a bucket of WW and a promise for more to come once I explained what I needed them for.

second step
Vist the OP shops for sauce pans, laddle, and bits and bobs, no fancy melting pot yet as this was very much a proof of concept project. melt down lead into ingots after removing Dos and floaty bits,

third step
Hide "borrowed" ingot muffin tin from wifey

4th step

cast these yesterday 100 nice shiny 160gr boolits, 70% WW/30% normal Lead water quenched, first attempt but using info found on this great site.

5th step order some brass, but in the meantime pull the heads on Norinco FMJ and dump the powder as a matter of interest the Millsurp FMJ powder varied by as much as 2gr over 20 rounds and the projectiles varied by 2.5gr! no wonder 4 inch groups where about as good as we could get in the JW103 and SKS.

and heres where we are at the moment
100 shiny new 160gr lee tumblelubed boolits waiting on Gas check (ordered the die and GC should be here this week) 20 pulled Norinco steel case's waiting said boolits, 20 varous brass once fired scrounged from places, resized, primed and awaiting boolits as well.

we have the equivalent of the Reloader No 7 powder available here in NZ (pretty much stuck with ADI powder range only) and some pretty confusing load data. Im going to start at 18 RL7/ADI powder and work my way from there, need the round to cycle the bolt in the SKS but not exceed 1700 fps, have a crony so will keep a close eye on things but if any of you guru's have a good load or im doing somthing wrong please tell me!.
What we are trying get is a nice 50yrd accurate Goat round, as the SKS is my bush gun for culling mobs of goats, rarely do I exceed 100 yrd shots with this gun, anything further and I just pull out the .270.
Why not just use FMJ's you may ask .... well the accuracy for one and ive had a few too many just zip straight though the goat and keep on trucking and thats not good for the animal, even a pest deserves a humane end.

anyway sorry for the long post and the spelling mistakes but spellcheck seems to be broken. any tips, comments or ideas welcome :grin:

cheers from NZ
Meece

cdet69
02-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Welcome aboard. The folks here will definitely put you on the straight and narrow path to success. Good luck and happy shooting.

Sig
02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
I'm fairly new to this but I read a lot. I would think if you were to add some tin (2%) to your alloy, you'd get your boolits to fill out better. The bases look a tad rounded to me.

Instead of trying to read all the new posts here you should have a look at the stickies. There is a wealth of great info there to be had.

Best of luck to you!

Edited to say those look look great for a first time casting!

JeffinNZ
02-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Another Kiwi. Slowly but surely the "South" will rise again. :drinks:

Blammer
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
sounds good to me!

don't forget to 'flair' the case mouth a bit to ensure the bullet is not shaved when seating. Then 'crimp' enough to iron out the flair you put in it. Should be good to go.

I believe there are a few other NZ'nders here as well.

meece
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Another Kiwi. Slowly but surely the "South" will rise again. :drinks:

Lol Greetings from Hawera Jeff.

Driver man
02-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Welcome aboard. 2400 powder works well in a SKS .

olafhardt
02-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I really appreciate your thread. I love to read where some one has made good in a bad situation. It helps me maintain my faith in humanity. I believe that no matter what silly rules are put on us we can and will find a way through them.

meece
02-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Welcome aboard. 2400 powder works well in a SKS .

hey Driver thanks for that, any idea on load date for the 2400, would have to order it from reloaders.co.nz as our only shop that stocks powder within a 100k radius only had ADI 2208/09

madsenshooter
02-09-2014, 07:05 PM
ADI's AR2205 is just a wee bit slower than 2400, according to their equivalent chart. If ADI is what you have access to the most, I know you'll be wanting to cross reference some of our US powder loads to what's obtainable. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp Bear in mind they're likely not exact equivalents and start lower. Much nicer bullets than what I got in my first attempt.

DLCTEX
02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
I think you can get good fill out with your current alloy by heating the mould a little hotter. Use a hot plate to warm it, or just cast fast and furious, no stopping to look at boolits, etc. If you get some frosting then you are running hot enough. Frosting does no harm unless it is excessive. That looks as if you are using a Lee mould in 2 cav. It should be no problem getting it hot. What lube are you using? I don't recall seeing that stated.

meece
02-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the comments, We heated the mold on a BBQ plate to start with then did the Dip test in the lead etc, funnily enough I went back and checked the boolits for "sharpness" after I saw your guys comments ... lol typical that one in the photo was the worst for roundness, meece thinks I might have actually taken a photo of some of the rejects :roll:, the rest of the boolits have quite sharp bases, since we are still in the experimental stage any that look even a little rounded can be thrown back into the lead pot.
Will add a small amount of tin in the next batch, (or maybe a chunk out of one of the wife pewter candlestick holders ... she wont miss one of them right guys??

leeggen
02-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Welcome Meece Those of us that have this casting infliction love company. Looks like you are off to a good start. Join the rest of us that have been nawled on for kidnapping the wifes pans and utincles. Well if that is the worst they do to us we will all be in good shape. What 270 are you shooting? Really like both of mine.
CD

meece
02-09-2014, 10:07 PM
What 270 are you shooting? Really like both of mine.
CD
I have a lovely "old" Savage Arms .270 dating from the mid 1960's, bought it in pitiful condition with tape wrapped around the stock ..etc stripped it down and redid the stock, reblued the barrel and bought it back to where it can do a touching cloverleaf at 100yrds with 110gr reloads.
by far my favorite rifle

KYCaster
02-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Welcome Meece.

I get pretty good results with Re7 and the Lee C312-155-2R in my CZ527. 22 gr. gives me 1810 fps and with 23 gr. I get 1890 fps. Both loads shoot under 1/2" at 50 yds.

These loads are approaching the pressure limit for the cartridge and with your heavier bullet I think I'd start quite a bit lower and work up.

Good luck.
Jerry

wistlepig1
02-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Welcome,
Nice first bullits for the first go, you should have seen my first one, they had more wrinkles than my wi@@ .[smilie=1:
It's a Big no no to use the wifies stuff in casting, you may be sleeping outside with the goats.:???:
Nice 270, I have put many Elk in the freezer with the one I use.

Driver man
02-10-2014, 03:29 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13453-Practical-Dope-on-the-7-62X39
Read this sticky. Has all the info you will need. My JW103 doesnt group well with anything Ive tried and have tracked it down to the rear action screw. Intend to redesign this at some stage when i get time.

AlaskanGuy
02-10-2014, 04:33 PM
I would make one recommendation for you sir..... [smilie=1:

Twice now, you have mentioned "borrowing" your wife's things like her muffin pan and her pewter candle stick holders.... My friend, you are truely living on the edge, as my wife would take the nice SKS and use it as a club to beat me with.... If your wife finds out, and then beats you to death with your SKS, it will make the world news, our wives would find out, and probably beat all us boolit dudes just in principal, and give us boolit dudes a bad name... We of course, at least those of us at survive the beating, would be pretty pissed and sore, and be looking to settle the score with all kiwi folks everywhere.... Lol. ... Creating the next world war...

Take it from somebody that has learned the hard way, get your own stuff for casting and leave the wife's cooking stuff alone... This is especially true with boolit lube, which you will be learning about...lol.. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of bandages...

Welcome to our group.... :kidding:

AlaskanGuy

starmac
02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Just curious, do you eat them pesky goats? Is BBQ popular in NZ?

wistlepig1
02-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Friend, listen to AlakanGuy, I know a Kiwi Lady (30 years, from Christchurch) and you don't want to get on her bad side and using her stuff for casting will get you there-----fast.:roll:[smilie=1:

45-70 Chevroner
02-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the party! Your time for addiction will be about three casting sessions. I wish we had more pests like what you have in the down under, of course that is a term most often used for Australia, but your not far from there in latitude. You first try was better than mine also. Good luck.

OBIII
02-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the Forum. May you spend many enjoyable hours perusing and learning here. For a first attempt, nice looking boolits. You may want to look into a FP type mold, or an HP one. Either one should work well on a goat or pig.

OB

P.S. If you use the Wife's stuff and are caught, you are on your own. We will deny any knowledge of your existence. [smilie=1:

meece
02-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Just curious, do you eat them pesky goats? Is BBQ popular in NZ?

most of them get turned into this, Homemade Goat and Herb Susages, We roast the rear Legs as well on a long low heat with some garlic and rosemary, can cut the meat with a peice of paper it's that tender ... yum, makes a good curry as well.

edit, yes We live for BBQ's in NZ lol