PDA

View Full Version : .357 Enfield

cheggie
02-09-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm disappointed in the price and selection of .357 carbines out there, and I've been kicking around the idea of an Enfield in .357 magnum. I think it would make the best candidate for an "easy build" based on the flat bolt face. I'm thinking threaded barrel blank, savage style locknut, build it to function as a single shot first, then integrate a Desert Eagle style magazine to the Enfield magwell. Any thoughts?

Also, anyone in SC got an Enfield with a ruined barrel for a donor :)

Regards,

Chris

enfield
02-09-2014, 10:21 PM
I made one from an old #1 Lee Enfield. I bored the barrel out to 1/2 inch and got a piece of barrel liner from Track Of The Wolf. cut a simple chamber in the lathe and just use it single shot. works fine .

Artful
02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Sounds doable - take lots of pictures and keep us posted - someone in norse country (norway, sweden, finland) had made a 44 Mag like that with built in suppressor, but he didn't document the build - Drat.

I bought a kit from SIA in Nevada to convert a Bubba #4 to 45 ACP - works well.

nekshot
02-10-2014, 08:12 PM
The easiest way to a 357 bolt is the carcano, I think. The 357 casing fits the bolt face and extracter like a charm. I still am soaking my action in solvent and when it warms up I will take a crack at turning it into a 357 max.

roverboy
02-10-2014, 08:33 PM
The easiest way to a 357 bolt is the carcano, I think. The 357 casing fits the bolt face and extracter like a charm. I still am soaking my action in solvent and when it warms up I will take a crack at turning it into a 357 max.Thanks for posting this. I've wanted to do a .357 Magnum rifle for a while. This sounds like a good idea. Now, why didn't I buy the 2 horribly bubbaed Carcanos I saw at a gunshow a few years ago.........

drhall762
02-11-2014, 08:26 AM
If you can get some detailed photos/drawings of the De Lisle Carbine you will grt some great ideas as to developing your carbine. I have seen several done on various boards, mostly .45ACP and larger .44/.45 rimmed cartridges. I too have an old Carcano action in the "stuff" box. Thanks for the idea Nekshot.