PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice with regards to what mold to get

02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I’m going to try to do some casting to get the bullets I want for Cowboy Action Shooting. I want a 200 grain bullet RNFP, flat base, and out of an alloy that is 1 part tin and 20 parts lead. It seems the only way I’m going to get that (where I live) is to cast them myself. I have lots of pure lead and tin, so the alloy is under control. I just don’t know much about molds.

I was thinking of getting a 4 cavity mold but am told that a 2 cavity mold is best – especially for beginners.

There are a LOT of companies out there offering molds, and I have absolutely no experience with this. Would anyone care to recommend what company makes really good molds?

Also, should I be looking for a steel mold or an aluminum mold?

So, what “make”, how many cavities, and out of what material?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

'74 sharps
02-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Either a 2 or 4 cavity mold will work well for a new bullet caster. The RCBS (cast iron),SAECO (cast iron),Lyman (steel) are all very durable and easy to get good casts with. I started with all three brands and have never had any durability issues and have never had to do any fine tuning on the molds to work correctly.

MT Chambers
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Any particular caliber?

Dan Cash
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
2 or 4 cavity will work for you and not hard to learn to use. Iron, brass or good aluminum, all work well and I have all three but have come to prefer high quality aluminum such as produced by Accurate Molds or LBT company. Accurate offers about 10 different moulds that fit your description, on of which is this: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-200V-D.png

02-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Sorry. That was kind of dumb of me wasn't it - not to mention what caliber.

This is a 200 grain bullet for .45 Colt :grin:

I should also have mentioned that I wanted a flat base bullet design. I'm told that with the low pressures used in CAS shooting that a flat base bullet will perform better, seal better, and help prevent leading.

Not being an expert on bullet design, I'm "assuming" (WAG) that a person would also want a lube groove and a crimp groove ..... right?

'74 sharps
02-09-2014, 05:24 PM
The original bullet type for the 45Colt, for example, is the Lyman 454190. No crimp groove, as you just crimp on the ogive. With that mold, I shoot almost pure lead with a little tin, and low pressures will make the bullet obturate to seal the bore and prevent gas cutting which can lead to leading.

Larry Gibson
02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
The Lee 452-200-FN is the b illegal I use in my SAAS and '73 rifle. Comes in 2 & 6 cavity moulds. Suggest a 2 cavity to start and to learn casting. If increased production is needed get the 6 cavity.

Larry Gibson

Wayne Smith
02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Larry, if it b illegal how do you get away using it??

Larry Gibson
02-10-2014, 01:11 AM
That is a very good question....I hate the upload on this smart phone; the stupid swooping arrow that puts words in my mouth. ........was supposed to be "bullet".

Larry Gibson

hickfu
02-11-2014, 07:52 AM
I started out casting my own a couple years ago with 5 cavity molds from 350gr up to 540gr and never once had a problem. With a 200gr I would go with a 5 to 6 cavity if your going to use a bottom pour pot, go with 2 to 4 if you are going to ladle pour.

Just my .02
Doc