PDA

View Full Version : Reversible Hollow Point Pins

rodwha
02-09-2014, 02:28 PM
I thought that Hollow Point Mold offered a modification that allowed the pins to be reversed so that it could be converted back to a FN design, but emailing with him again shows that he does not offer this.

Does anyone know of a company that does?

rodwha
02-09-2014, 02:35 PM
This is the bullet I'd certainly want to hollow point, and I've considered that, being fairly short, I'd want a somewhat shallow cavity. Maybe 1/3 it's length? And being shallow I'd want steep angles.

This is a cap n ball bullet that would be cast with pure lead. That being the case I'd think I'd also want fairly thick walls to the cavity opening since it will have a ram seating it into the chamber.

Thoughts?

bhn22
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
It doesn't sound like a good candidate for hollowpointing. Buy two molds and have one modified. You didn't mention which mold it is, but you could also have a second pin made, depending on the mold, that just leaves a little flat on the nose of the bullet, and no cavity. It does cost extra though.

rodwha
02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
The mold is a custom mold from Accurate.

Good idea about another pin to make it a FN again. It does cost extra, but I'd get what I want.

TCFAN
02-09-2014, 05:15 PM
I have had several molds HP'd at hollow Point Mold.I always order a couple of different HP pins for each mold. Most are adjustable for length. I really like the Cup Point pin that he makes.....Terry

rodwha
02-09-2014, 05:42 PM
I forgot to ask why you thought it wasn't a good candidate for hollow pointing. Because the ram will mar the nose?

bhn22
02-09-2014, 06:29 PM
I forgot to ask why you thought it wasn't a good candidate for hollow pointing. Because the ram will mar the nose?

Yes, or possibly squash the cavity shut entirely. Just an opinion, it may work fine, but one purpose of the rammer is to squash the bullet to make it fit the cylinder tightly.

ShooterAZ
02-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Some of NOE's HP molds come with an extra set of pins to do both FN and HP.

GLL
02-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Hollow Point Molds provided me with a second "flat" pin for only $5.00 so I cannot see the problem???
You could make your own out of drill rod for even less per pin.

Jerry

Dale53
02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
This is a "Cap and Ball" bullet meant to be loaded with a pistol ram that shoves the bullet into the cylinder on top of the powder. Unless there is a strong "ledge" around the hollow point I would think that the ram might distort the bullet enough to cause accuracy problems or negate the advantages of a hollow point.

I live within 45 minutes of Friendship, IN and pretty much "grew up there". I've seen and known National Muzzle Loading Champions (including pistol) and have some knowledge of how they work.

Many competitors use a separate loading tool that loads the cylinder off the revolver. I suppose it is not without possibility that a custom ram could be built that mirrors the hollow point cavity so would not distort it when being seated.

Frankly, being that this bullet will be of soft lead, if it has a good flat meplat, it will expand without a hollow point. Me, I would just get a nice flat meplat and let it go at that.

But that is just me...

FWIW
Dale53

white eagle
02-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Mp Molds the pins can be reversed and used as flat points

Wayne Smith
02-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Mia sends along a nose punch for sizers that have a protrusion into the HP for all of his HP molds, I think NOE does the same. Shouldn't be hard to have a ram made the same way if it is that important.

bhn22
02-09-2014, 09:25 PM
He already has a mold, and wants to have it hollowpointed.

rodwha
02-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Mold is ordered.

I originally figured a wide flat meplat would expand rather easily, but I continually read posts stating they'd had patched RB's not deforming at all despite an even higher velocity. So I figured having a reversible hollow point would ensure quick expansion.

Having loaded many FN/SWC bullets of soft lead in my ROA I've noticed that it merely rounds the edge of the nose. Since a HP has a cavity that can fill instead I had figured giving it a thick mouth and a steep shallow angle ought to keep it from deforming too badly (in theory) or filling it in.

I prefer the 195C to have this same wide FN (.375" meplat) for hunting if I cannot have a reversible HP pin.

As there will be two 195C cavities I'm also contemplating having a dual HP pin for the 170 and one of the 195C cavities.

Having the piece made to convert it back to a FN will cost well over $5 he told me. As I was originally talking about 3 cavities, it would cost $75 to convert them all back.

But before I do anything I'll cast a bunch up and play with them.