PDA

View Full Version : Krag reloading question

Battis
02-09-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm on my way to buy Krag 30-40 dies, but in the meantime, I have a question.
I have 20 fired 30-40 cases, 4 from my rifle, 16 from an unknown rifle. They were Winchester 180 gr bullets, .308 diameter.
The 4 empty cases fired from my rifle still chamber. The other 16 do not.
A Hornaday 155 gr FMJ .308 bullet fits into the fired case. The case mouth of the 30-40 and the 7.5x55 are almost identical in diameter. Using a Lee 7.5x55 die, I put a crimp into a (dummy) round, and it chambered perfectly in the Krag.
The question - with the right powder, can that round with the crimp be fired safely?

I think I answered my own question: even though the bullet fits, and the crimp holds it in place, the neck sizing will be off.

Outpost75
02-09-2014, 11:48 AM
You need to full length resize any brass which was not fired in your rifle. Anything else is setting you up for a problem.

Gtek
02-09-2014, 12:08 PM
"almost identical " Reloading term that should be very carefully used. Is that like close as in horseshoes, hand grenades and atom bombs? I would think the other weapon had a little more headspace. Full length when dies arrive and be happy. Gtek

Larry Gibson
02-09-2014, 12:49 PM
A Hornaday 155 gr FMJ .308 bullet fits into the fired case. The case mouth of the 30-40 and the 7.5x55 are almost identical in diameter. Using a Lee 7.5x55 die, I put a crimp into a (dummy) round, and it chambered perfectly in the Krag.
The question - with the right powder, can that round with the crimp be fired safely?

Yes, with a proper powder and charge for that bullet in the 30-40, those can be fired safely as all you are doing is crimping the bullet in place.

Larry Gibson

Battis
02-09-2014, 01:12 PM
This would only apply to cases fired in my rifle, which limits what I can use. The case mouths of the 30-40 and the sized 7.5x55 are within 1/1000. The crimp on the 30-40 holds the bullet in place. I just figured it would save wear on the brass by not sizing it at all. Just one of those newbie questions that'll be stored in some corner of my brain.

Char-Gar
02-09-2014, 02:55 PM
The purpose of sizing the neck of the case is not just to keep the bullet from falling down into the powder. But a proper set of 30-40 Krag dies as use them as per the directions!!!!!!! Don't waste any more time thinking of new ways to do things. You are 100 years to late to the game to be a trail blazer. Stay on the trail where others have gone before you and you won't fall of the cliff, or blow your fool head off.

Battis
02-09-2014, 03:17 PM
As I said, the dies are on the way, and as I also said, the neck sizing would be off. Not trying to blaze trails or overthink - just wondering. But I'll bet there are reloaders who will say it's not a problem. Personally, I wouldn't shoot a cartridge loaded that way...just curious.

Char-Gar
02-09-2014, 04:12 PM
As I said, the dies are on the way, and as I also said, the neck sizing would be off. Not trying to blaze trails or overthink - just wondering. But I'll bet there are reloaders who will say it's not a problem. Personally, I wouldn't shoot a cartridge loaded that way...just curious.

I would not call that "overthinking". I would probably call it "underthinking". Have you ever been curious what would happen if you stuck your foot in a set bear trap?

Battis
02-09-2014, 06:34 PM
OK, you win. It was a dumb question. Same case mouth diameter, same bullet that fits in both cases, the crimp held it in place...what the hell was I thinking?
Tell me...why is it not safe to shoot that round?
Don't answer "cause it ain't.' Give me a reason.

swheeler
02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Battis; if you use a published load for that bullet, or at least that weight bullet you will be fine as far as safety I would think. You may not have the best internal ballistics with no neck tension but I don't see safety being a factor. my .02

Char-Gar
02-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I never said it was unsafe as long as the bullet held in place with the crimp got loose and got deeper in the case. Proper neck tension is also needed for proper powder combustion and therefore accuracy.

But the main reason you are an obvious inexperienced reloaded and I don't want to encourage you nor enable you to engage in creative reloading at your stage of experience. Free wheeling reloading can be dangerous for the fellow that does not know what he is doing. Best nip it in the bud until you have the basics laid by. I really am looking out for you, whether you realize it or not.

Battis
02-09-2014, 11:05 PM
And I appreciate that. But I'm smart enough not to "blow my fool head off," or step into a bear trap, or fall off a cliff...well, I have fallen off cliffs so we'll leave that one alone. I wasn't being creative, just curious. Two cases with identical mouths, give or take 1/1000, same bullet that each caliber uses, the bullet fit the same in each (I had to use a bullet puller to get the bullet out of the 30-40 case), the dummy round chambered perfectly...so I asked if it was safe to shoot. Some say yes, some say no. But I wondered about the neck tension and internal ballistics. Is using a die for one caliber to crimp a bullet of another similar caliber (same .308 bullet) that unusual? I use a .44 mag expander die on my .41 Swiss cases.
Again, just curious. At least I asked before I fired a round.

madsenshooter
02-10-2014, 04:23 PM
What you're doing isn't all that unusual. For my Krags I use the 7.5x55 Lee Collet Die with a washer under it to size a portion of the neck to the diameter I want it. You could even use your 7.5x55 sizing die to size just part of the neck of your cases, load, crimp if you want, go shoot the cases that fit your rifle. Enjoy.

Battis
02-10-2014, 08:32 PM
The washer makes sense. I couldn't get the collet die to work due to the longer 30-40 case.
I wonder if there was any cross designing between Krag and Schmidt Rubin, or it is a coincidence that the cases are that similar...

madsenshooter
02-10-2014, 09:15 PM
The US was taking a look at all foreign developments Battis, the Krag bayonet is virtually a copy of the Swiss bayonet, for example. So close a copy that it's hard to tell them apart. Other coincidental things, the Krag has the same headsize as the .303 British with nearly the same capacity, and it's also close in capacity to the 7.62x54 Russian. The US had decided on the cartridge even before trials to select the rifle began.

The washer I use is .088 thick with a 1/2" hole in the middle. Goes over the case, between shellholder and bottom of the collet. Only sizes about 2/3 of the neck, which is plenty. Nothing wrong with your thinking, sometimes you can save yourself some money by improvising, or buying parts for dies from Lee's website, for instance a .303 expander that will go in your 30-40 die for larger cast bullets. Keeps neck tension down so it doesn't size down the cast bullet, and there's no need for a Lyman M die.

DeanWinchester
02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Paper patchers often use the same method. As far safety goes, I'd say your fine assuming you run a proper powder charge.

frnkeore
02-11-2014, 03:48 PM
I have neck sized my 30/40 using standard 308 dies. I back the 308 die out untill it sizes 1/2 of the 30/40 neck. With these larger bodied dies, you just need to make sure that the case in all the way in the shell holder to center it in the die before sizing.

The reason for neck sizing is to allow the body of the case and some part of the neck to center the as fired case and rifling. A full length sized case will let the cartridge case "droop" in the chamber and won't be as well aligned.

Frank

Battis
02-13-2014, 08:36 PM
I picked up a Lee 30-40 3 die set last night. I'll use the .308 150 gr, FMJ bullets for now, and a reduced load of H4895.
While at the store, a beautiful K31 caught my eye. Just can't do it.