PDA

View Full Version : Practicality of reducing BPCR barrel length

loadedbutbroke
02-09-2014, 06:49 AM
From UK

Hi, I have a 34" John Bodine Rolling Block by Pedersoli in 45/90 (see my other post under Which 45-70). I am finding it a bit heavy at the front end which makes it less maneuverable. While it is fine at long range I am concerned that it might be less good at 200 - 600 yards for shooting Silhouettes.

I would be grateful for peoples views on the effects of reducing the barrel length by 2" and having a new dovetail machined in for the front sight.

I have seen two conflicting views on this matter some say it will reduce accuracy and some it will make no difference in a BPCR. (This all assumes I could find a gunsmith prepared to do the work)

Adrian

Don McDowell
02-09-2014, 08:44 AM
I seriously doubt you'll notice 2 inches in barrel length. 4 or more inches would be noticeable.
The other thing to consider is Pedersoli supposedly has a choked barrel, so cutting into that choked end of the barrel, could affect the accuracy potential.

bob208
02-09-2014, 11:23 AM
there are 3 answers. no it will not it could make it better and it could make it worst.

bigted
02-09-2014, 01:39 PM
as far as ballistics go ... from what i read in Lyman's blackpowder loading book ... the shorter barrels do give slightly less velocity ... but the sacrifice is negligible in my opinion. certainly not worth the extra length and thus the heavy front end of a rifle. especially for standing shooting such as hunting. to say nothing about the length getting in the way for trudging thru the tooly briars. a deer or elk or paper target will not know the difference between getting smacked with a 500ish boolit at 1200 FPS or the same boolit at 1000 to 1100 FPS.

as for stability ... you will go far to find a more stable feeling ...[heavy tho it be]... rifle. they dont swing nor carry worth spit ... they will flat wear ya out when trying to stand up for shooting off hand. BUT ... the stability is unparalleled.

as to the sight radius ... the longer the barrel extends the length of your sight radius therefor making small mistakes into large patterns a thing of the past. look at what the fellers do with their long unwieldy barrel length and thus the longer sight radius. if you can see that front sight ... over all that real estate ... you can get uncanny groups at outlandish range. if you can not see the front sight then all is lost and just as well have a shorter barrel that you can see the sights with.

now for the world according to Ted ... LOL ... [smilie=1:

i like the shorter barrel length and seem to get a better sight picture with the closer sight radius. i also like the shorter barrels for the occasion of packing it into the brush. i have a pedrosoli long range sharps that hardly see's daylight because of the 34 inch barrel. my Hartford see's a bit more daylight with its 30 inch barrel. my rolling block is fun to shoot and carry with its 26 inch barrel BUT ... maybe my favorite rifle to carry and shoot is my winchester Hiwall ...[japchester]... with its 28 inch standard winchester tapered octagon barrel ... probably a # 2 contour ... maybe a #3 but it is the shis nits for just about all my shooting fun.

my "hunting" rifle tho is a Marlin lever stainless with its 18 inch barrel. or the Ruger #1 with its 22 inch barrel. these really do the job of a working rifle in Alaska. they carry enough punch to do the job every time ... and ... they are short enough to carry on a sling comfortably as well as lite enough to not be a burden.

all in all a feller needs to be selective with his NEEDS. discover what it is that you will do mostly and tailor your rifle for this and allow it to roll over into the other areas you will use it for. it be a tall order but with study and contemplation as well as with perseverance ... you too will end up with a closet full of rifles that just needed to be there for the "IN CASE" option of IF you decide ... there will be a rifle to play with.

HAPPY SHOOTING TO YA :drinks:

country gent
02-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Barrel contour comes into this senerio also a half round or round contour would allow the outside to be turned to a slightly diffrent taper removing wieght but keeping the length. On a half round the taper would need to blend out at the junction of octagon to round. This would remove wieght without disturbing the "choked" barrel. Another on the plus side is it will maintain the sight radious. Draw back is barrel will need to be re blued and sight dovetail recut. Taking it down to 32" is still a very doable rifle in all aspects of the changes. Since a choked barrel is a tapered bore of only a few thousandths of an inch over the length 2" wouldnt be much change in dia. (.003 choke over 30" is .0001 per inch roughly). I also agree with Big Ted I dont see 2" of barrel changing ballistics alot.

CanoeRoller
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
A long barrel's greatest contribution is sight radius. The change in velocity is minor for any extra inch or two, but the change in sight radius (with open sights) is quite noticeable and very quickly. The main disadvantage of a long barrel is that it move the balance of the rifle away from the shooter, which can make off hand shooting more difficult. You will not be drilling the bullseye if you are fighting to keep the rifle from tumbling out of your hands.

You really need to ask what you want to do with the rifle, is it exclusively a hunting rifle, a target rifle or both? How strong are you? You have to be honest with yourself, can you handle a longer heavier rifle or will you be more comfortable with a lighter, shorter one? These are personal questions and decisions.

montana_charlie
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Assuming the work is done by someone competent, you should suffer no problems.
Barrels at factories are typically 'made' all the same length, then cut to the length required for a particular model.

CM

missionary5155
02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Greetings
The long barrel is for cross sticks. Shorter for hunting and standing till you strengthen your arm to hold that tube long enough.
I have a 34 inch Bauska barrel in caliber .45on a Navy Arms Roller. That long stubb out there with a fine post in the globe makes one nice shooter on cross sticks. But another 26 inch Roller in caliber .45 goes many more hours in hand through the bottoms and woods edges hunting varmits that need eliminated.
While watching the "snooze" is a good time to be holding that long "AAA" up getting that arm muscle used to the weight. Couple weeks of 30 minutes practice and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Mike in Peru

loadedbutbroke
02-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Hello all

Very good points made as always all round. I had not appreciated this choked barrel issue which does worry me.

The club rules state (for long range usually 900/1000) that a wrist rest must be used not crossed sticks which can be used at the shorter range competitions (shooting at paper silhouettes 2-600yds). Now what I am finding is that getting comfortable at long range with a wrist rest is not easy and the heavy barrel seems to me to try and tip the whole thing forwards. I was thinking that by removing the first two inches that the balance might be better overall and that I might be able to achieve a more comfortable position.

I am incidentally considering getting a cheeknstock raised butt pad 1&1/4"

I have no idea what wight 2" represents but given he leverage effect of the length of the barrel when the hand is at the back of the stock might this not be quite considerable?

You guys know far better than me

Adrian

EDG
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Use it a few years and then think about it.

.22-10-45
02-12-2014, 03:23 AM
Looking back to the original match rifles of the later 19th century...600yds was considered mid-range. Rifles made by Ballard, Remington & Sharps designated mid-range usually had 30" barrels..with 28" being common.

montana_charlie
02-12-2014, 02:32 PM
[FONT=Book Antiqua]Hello all

Very good points made as always all round. I had not appreciated this choked barrel issue which does worry me.
A choke is a restriction at or near the muzzle.

The Pedersoli barrel is not 'choked'. It is (said to be) cut with a straight 'taper' from the chamber to the muzzle.
The bore diameter is constant throughout the entire length.
It is the groove diameter that is a tiny bit smaller (somewhere close to three thousandths on a 'long' barrel) at the muzzle.

Cutting off lengths of barrel does not change the taper. It just reduces the amount of total difference between the chamber and the muzzle.

CM

bigted
02-12-2014, 03:05 PM
CM makes a good point with the long taper. so maybe consider this for a thought;

if you were to cut it back to even 28 inch's ... then the only thing to be considered [being a true "chocked" or tapered barrel] is that to make the boolit as constricted at the muzzle ... you may need a very small bit of a bigger diameter. however ... I would doubt that even the 6 or even 8 inch less in barrel length will effect the "real" accuracy of your rifle.

the way of course ... to realize the truth ... is to cut it back and experiment with a scope mounted both before and after ... to determine the "real" effect in a truthful and determined accuracy test using the best ammo in both lengths of barrel ... therefore to put to rest the question ... will the shorter barrel length effect the overall accuracy of the rifle.

I for one remain doubtful that the barrel length has anything to do with overall accuracy provided the sighting procedure remains the same with both barrel lengths ... as in a fixed scope mounted on the rear of the barrel in the same manner with each barrel length. a scope will negate the sight length effect of the longer sight radius ... therefor making the experiment "all" about the barrel length.

if and when you do the deed ... please do keep us all advised as to the trail you follow.

loadedbutbroke
03-30-2014, 05:50 AM
if and when you do the deed ... please do keep us all advised as to the trail you follow.

OK, I decided not to get the barrel shortened, the gunsmiths I talked to did not see it as a practical option. So I have traded the Rolling block for a 32" Sharps with a lighter barrel. I shot it in a competition yesterday and, as I hoped, found the rifle much better balanced and more comfortable to use. (see the other post)

Adrian