PDA

View Full Version : RCBS/Lyman top punches?

abcollector
12-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Could someone please explain to me how the RCBS/Lyman top punches are numbered? What does the first number mean and then the second number? Can you just look at either number and know what it is without having to look it up on a chart? Does it go off the nose of the bullet?

It just seems confusing to me the way they are numbered.

Thanks

Kraschenbirn
12-14-2007, 12:24 AM
I don't believe there's any "system" to the numbering of either RCBS or Lyman top punches. Best way I've found to match punches to bullet shapes is to use their respective application charts. Otherwise, it's a matter of trial and error....and, maybe, a bit of rework on an "almost right" punch...to get a good fit.

Bill

MT Gianni
12-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Some match the cherry # they were cut with. LY 429421 takes a 421 punch. Any others that fit the same nose profile take the same punch also. So several molds cut later take a punch from an earlier mold which may even have been disconnected. Are you confused yet? I don't know RCBS's system but the easiest thing to do is to look on the chart provided in LY's Cast Bullet Handbook or on Castpics web page to se which fits. I can't look at a top punch at a gun show and know which molds it fits unless it is common or I am carring a list of what I need. Gianni

94Doug
01-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Are some of the like numbers from RCBS and Lyman the same shape? I am thinking of the #374. But then again I have 2 Lyman 374's that are different too. Yes, it is confusing, now that I think about it.

Doug

James Wisner
01-28-2008, 01:33 AM
I put this question to Fred Huntington Jr. a couple of years ago to see if he knew about the RCBS number system for the top punchs.

His response was good luck in figuring it out, as they had simply used the existing Lachmiller number system when RCBS bought them out and have added to it over the years.

No rhyme or reason for the RCBS/ Lachmiller system, there is some cross over with Lyman numbers now though.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

hawkeye1
03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19897

Here is a thread that will at least give you a reference for which top punches go with which bullets. It has a reference chart for RCBS and one for Lyman. It is really helpful.

good shooting