PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt

richhodg66
02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
I ran across one in a local shop today. Stainless and 5 1/2" barrel, pretty much the configuration I'd choose if I bought one. Looked to be in great shape. They're asking a little over $900 which seems a little high to me.

What are these going for nowadays? I must admit, I am a sucker for .45 Colt, it's my favorite handgun caliber.

RED333
02-08-2014, 07:53 PM
I would not pay that much for one, but that is me.
I have seen them for as low as 500.

bhn22
02-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Redhawks are in short supply right now and many people are trying to scalp them. The 5-1/2 in barrel is why it's so pricey, 7-1/2 inchers run around $600.00 right now around here. Short barrels are scarce.This situation should change in about a year after Ruger resumes production.

sixshot
02-08-2014, 09:29 PM
That price is high, and if you don't buy it someone else will because a Redhawk in 45 Colt is a real hot item, you'll have to decide but don't wait too long!

Dick

Rick R
02-08-2014, 10:40 PM
I paid a bit over $600 two years ago for a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt. But I really really really wanted one. Changed out the front sight with one from Dave Clements and it's all I want in a carry pistol. I'd love to find a 5.5" for hunting but at $900 I'd have to pass.

TXGunNut
02-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Does seem too high but there's no telling when you'll see one again. I've walked away from better deals but I've been known to overpay for something exceptional. Got any trading material? Maybe they'll give you too much for something you're ready to get rid of.

Love Life
02-08-2014, 10:54 PM
How much do you want it? I try to look for deals...occasionally, but if I want it bad enough then I'll pay to play. Have you checked the gun auction sites?

jmort
02-08-2014, 11:00 PM
I would get it if I had the $$$. Who knows when you will see another one with production suspended.

MTtimberline
02-08-2014, 11:03 PM
The Redhawks are not being produced currently. Only the Super Redhawks are listed in the lineup at this time. I suspect the price is a play on that. I'm guessing that the Redhawk will resume production when the facility in NC is up and running.

CastingFool
02-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Too steep a price for me.

Love Life
02-08-2014, 11:27 PM
If it is your dream gun, you doubt you'll ever see one again, and you plan on having it for a long time, then I would slap the cash on the table and call it done.

Jupiter7
02-08-2014, 11:31 PM
That's vintage, no lock S&W money. But on gunbroker, $800 +/- seems like going prices for the redhawk. I've really wanted either a 4" Ruger redhawk or older N frame Smith but never been ok with the cost of admission. The blackhawk will have to do til Ruger produces them again.

richhodg66
02-09-2014, 12:17 AM
I have a couple of Blackhawks in .45 Colt and love them, but I've always wanted a double action .45 Colt. Not sure I want one that bad. I like big bore revolvers, I cannot lie. A while back, there was a Freedom Arms single action in .45 Colt in another shop for less money. It may still be there, but I wasn't convinced it would do anything my Blackhawks wouldn't.

I'll keep an eye on this one, I really don't need it, but it would be an awsome gun.

22 rifle
02-09-2014, 03:02 AM
i have a friend that is a gun dealer,have known him for 30 years.he just got a ruger redhawk 5.5 inch 44 from his distributor.they told him it was probably the last one that he would get because ruger wasn't going to make them anymore.the distributor says that they are going to the super redhawk only now.if i wanted one i'd get it while you can.i looked forever a couple years ago for a 45 colt redhawk and finally got one.had to go to every gun dealer in town to get it.

junkpile
02-09-2014, 08:56 AM
I just ran across a 44 RH at my local Walmart. I keep hearing that they aren't available, but if Stuffmart can get them, it makes me question that notion. They can't even get 22rf ammo.

osteodoc08
02-09-2014, 09:09 AM
I just ran across a 44 RH at my local Walmart. I keep hearing that they aren't available, but if Stuffmart can get them, it makes me question that notion. They can't even get 22rf ammo.

Walmart is selling redhawks? Wow!

richhodg66
02-09-2014, 09:15 AM
When I lived in Alaska, things that would show up in retail stores would suprise you. There was a chain of stores that identified themselves as a drug store, kind of like a Walgreens, where you could buy a .300 Win mag rifle and ammo. Doesn't suprise me Walmart there has one.

I checked Gunbroker last night and a sinilar one was bid up quite a bit higher than this one, but it had an extra set of nice custom grips with it. Maybe this asking price isn't so high after all.

Ickisrulz
02-09-2014, 10:58 AM
When I lived in Alaska, things that would show up in retail stores would suprise you. There was a chain of stores that identified themselves as a drug store, kind of like a Walgreens, where you could buy a .300 Win mag rifle and ammo. Doesn't suprise me Walmart there has one.

I checked Gunbroker last night and a sinilar one was bid up quite a bit higher than this one, but it had an extra set of nice custom grips with it. Maybe this asking price isn't so high after all.

I used to buy all my guns and reloading stuff at a drug store in the late 80's. "Longs Drugs" in Colorado Springs. Good selection and prices.

richhodg66
02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Alaska was the first place I ever went where the base exchanges sold guns and ammo and even some reloading stuff. Now most of them seem to have guns and ammo at least.

If it weren't for the weather and other costs of living there, I might move back up there. Unfortunately, I wasn't nearly as into hunting and fishing then as now and I had a job that sucked and because of the drawdown and them closing the 6th Infantry Division down, my whole outlook on being there wasn't good and I missed out on the whole experience. I did do a lot of reloading and shooting and got to some awfully interesting gun shows and shops.

I'm very happy with north central Kansas and have no plans to ever travel far again, but I do entertain thoughts of driving the Alcan Highway again from time to time, maybe do it on a motorcycle someday.

osteodoc08
02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
I used to buy all my guns and reloading stuff at a drug store in the late 80's. "Longs Drugs" in Colorado Springs. Good selection and prices.

My flattop 41 was bought online from Seborn Drugs up somewhere in New England.
I would buy ammo at my local True Value as a kid, but were talking Walmart and handguns. I've never seen or heard of one selling handguns. That would be pretty awesome though.

seaboltm
02-09-2014, 03:54 PM
A good RH in 454 can be had in the $800 range, certainly less than $900. A straight 45 LC should bring less than that. I paid $600 for my RH in 44

DougGuy
02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
richdog, it goes like this... Is this a gun that you might end up kicking yourself for letting get away? As in several years before you see another one in the exact configuration you want, and what if they are more expensive then? If you like it good enough to keep thinking about it, go ahead and get it. You will forget about the hundred or two hundred extra bucks that you paid for it soon enough as it will become a prized possession in your safe.. Most times money is easier to come by than happiness..

osteodoc08
02-09-2014, 05:05 PM
richdog, it goes like this... Is this a gun that you might end up kicking yourself for letting get away? As in several years before you see another one in the exact configuration you want, and what if they are more expensive then? If you like it good enough to keep thinking about it, go ahead and get it. You will forget about the hundred or two hundred extra bucks that you paid for it soon enough as it will become a prized possession in your safe.. Most times money is easier to come by than happiness..

Amen brother.

So long as bills are paid and you can afford it, snatch it up. I still regret not getting a prelock smith model 25.......coulda put it on layaway, but decided to wait. It was gone next trip by.

pmer
02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Don't look but here is some Redhawk P***! .45 Colt 7.5 " They do have fast twist rates for the longer boolits.

josper
02-10-2014, 08:50 PM
I would make an offer. The dealer can only say no, don't hurt to try.

bhn22
02-10-2014, 09:13 PM
A good RH in 454 can be had in the $800 range, certainly less than $900. A straight 45 LC should bring less than that. I paid $600 for my RH in 44

Ruger never made a std Redhawk in .454, only Super Redhawks. As I said before, the shorter barrelled guns are bringing a premium price right now.

richhodg66
02-10-2014, 09:41 PM
I wentback and looked at it closer today. It has some Hogue grips on it, not the originals. It's also $999.00, so I pretty much decided I didn't want it bad enough. Nice gun though. I'll check back occasionally, he may deal if it stays a while.

bhn22
02-11-2014, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't pay it either. If I had the cash, I'd top out at about $750, and if that wouldn't do it, I'd walk too.

Groo
02-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Groo here
I would not be supprised to find ruger not making the redhawk any more.
With all the problems they had with the lockwork they should produce a super without the extention
or grow up the gp100.
I have a 4in 45colt ss redhawk that took 3 gunsmiths [ one was C&S] to make fire all the time.
There is a problem with the casting - Ruger often just exchanges problem ones.

Deep Six
02-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I've wanted one in 45 Colt for a while now too. I have a blued 7.5 in 44. I've been tossing around the idea of sending it off to Bowen to have it shortened to 4.25", re-bored to 45, and then polished and re-blued. Wouldn't be cheap but it'd be one fine gun when he's done with it and the only 4" blued 45 Redhawk I know of!

seaboltm
02-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Ruger never made a std Redhawk in .454, only Super Redhawks. As I said before, the shorter barrelled guns are bringing a premium price right now.

You are of course correct. Just my opinion, but paying extra for a short barreled big bore is like paying extra for a Mustang GT with a V6. . . But I must be in the minority because short barrel big bores seem popular.

Deep Six
02-11-2014, 07:52 PM
My philosophy is a little different; regardless of bore size, I'm only interested in long barrels on single actions. Trying to shoot a double action in double action with a 6"+ barrel bouncing around is rather pointless. The benefits of a longer barrel are a longer sight radius and more powder burn space, both of which really only matter for long shots where you're going to shoot it single action anyway. So, long barrels really only have a place on single actions. Double actions need a shorter barrel that balances well for quick double action shooting. 5" is about max for me on a double action.

richhodg66
02-12-2014, 01:26 AM
You are of course correct. Just my opinion, but paying extra for a short barreled big bore is like paying extra for a Mustang GT with a V6. . . But I must be in the minority because short barrel big bores seem popular.

I'd like to see some data that shows what the difference two more inches would make ballistically over a 5.5 inch, I'm betting it ain't enough to worry about. Truth be told, I doubt I'd ever load up what a .45 Colt can be in a gun like that. Loads that are safe in older Colts will do most anything I need to do with a handgun and even some of those get unpleasant to shoot much.

The sight radius argument holds water. I usually shoot a longer barrel better for that reason, but I have Blackhawks with 7.5 inch barrels and a revolver like this Red Hawk would be more of a utility carry gun.

Lefty Red
02-14-2014, 12:48 AM

Long's Drug was awesome! I purchased my Taurus 85 there when I got back from Storm.

Lefty

NVScouter
02-14-2014, 11:34 AM
I bought the 45LC 4" Redhawk when it first came out. I love it, heavy sure but I can put 5 of 6 rounds in a pie plate at 25y rapid fire. My load is the LEE 340g cast at 1200fps for bear. Its why I bought this pistol when I went to Alaska and I carry it in Grizzly country here.

Lots of small polishing around edges was needed since they were a bit sharp with hot loads. I think paid about $525 for mine. It looks basicly new and I've had 3-4 people offer me $$ for it in the last year. I didnt know the Redhawks werent being produced now, makes sense why its a hot ticket.

NVScouter
02-14-2014, 11:39 AM
My 7.5" Blackhawk shoots about 90fps faster then my 4" Redhawk with the LEE 340g sized to .454 over Lil'Gun. The 5.5 should only have a difference of about 30-50fps. Go for a bigger barrel if you want site radius over carry and speed.

I'd like to see some data that shows what the difference two more inches would make ballistically over a 5.5 inch, I'm betting it ain't enough to worry about. Truth be told, I doubt I'd ever load up what a .45 Colt can be in a gun like that. Loads that are safe in older Colts will do most anything I need to do with a handgun and even some of those get unpleasant to shoot much.

The sight radius argument holds water. I usually shoot a longer barrel better for that reason, but I have Blackhawks with 7.5 inch barrels and a revolver like this Red Hawk would be more of a utility carry gun.

snowwolfe
02-14-2014, 12:01 PM
I would get it if I had the $$$. Who knows when you will see another one with production suspended.

Agreed. Instead of waiting for at least a year or year and a half you could be shooting the gun right now and enjoying it. Everyone wants to be the one who claims they paid less than everyone else but to often a cheap skate ends up always looking but never buying. Life is short:)

Don't pay much attention to what others have paid as most of them bought when the revolver was in production.

siamese4570
02-14-2014, 12:30 PM
I started a thread about the discontinuation of the redhawk. Please read. Ruger has temporarily discontinued them but should begin production sometime in 2014. Don't pay scalper prices yet!
siamese4570