PDA

View Full Version : Post surgery blues

tomme boy
02-08-2014, 05:40 PM
I had surgery to my right hand last week for trigger release. My index and ring finger both had it done. It was finally bad enough that they locked in a fist and would not open. The pain was also very bad.

Now I am sitting here unable to do anything with the right hand. I can not even hold anything as there is no strength in the hand. I keep dropping things when I pick up anything without thinking which hand to use. What's really bad is I have two new molds here waiting for me. A Mihec 453374 4 cavity HP and a new 6 cavity Lee 358-105 SWC for 9mm. I have been running them through heat cycles on a hot plate but that is it. I also have 4 buckets of jacketed bullets that I have to melt down yet. Most are the TMJ type and have to be cut to open the lead. I can type one handed so that really helps. Just takes forever.

And the winter blues are really bad this year. I don't know how some of you guys that live in Alaska do it.

45 2.1
02-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Here's to a complete recovery. Keep at it and things get better. Best Wishes.

leadman
02-08-2014, 05:47 PM
I've had 8 hand surgeries, including 3 trigger releases so know what you are going thru. However do not do anything other than what the doc said was ok. I know a couple of guys that started doing too much a few days after surgery and it dragged the recovery out to several months.
As far a dropping things place your pinky under the glass or whatever. This is how I had to do it to prevent dropping stuff and making messes.

ph4570
02-08-2014, 05:48 PM
I wish you a speedy recovery.

shredder
02-08-2014, 06:08 PM
My sympathies are with you. We just do not realize how important these things are until they are gone. With any luck at all you will be better soon. Staring at those new moulds is not gonna help!

Charlie Two Tracks
02-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Hang in there tomme boy. This is a nasty winter for us and it can get pretty boring. Listen to what the doctors say and hopefully by Spring, you will be back at it.

osteodoc08
02-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

lka
02-08-2014, 06:22 PM
I had surgery to my right hand last week for trigger release. My index and ring finger both had it done. It was finally bad enough that they locked in a fist and would not open. The pain was also very bad.

Now I am sitting here unable to do anything with the right hand. I can not even hold anything as there is no strength in the hand. I keep dropping things when I pick up anything without thinking which hand to use. What's really bad is I have two new molds here waiting for me. A Mihec 453374 4 cavity HP and a new 6 cavity Lee 358-105 SWC for 9mm. I have been running them through heat cycles on a hot plate but that is it. I also have 4 buckets of jacketed bullets that I have to melt down yet. Most are the TMJ type and have to be cut to open the lead. I can type one handed so that really helps. Just takes forever.

And the winter blues are really bad this year. I don't know how some of you guys that live in Alaska do it.

Hope ya feel better, I had right hand issues last year that stopped my shooting and loading for a few months, now I'm geting the strength back, loading and going to the range a few days a week before work,, so all I can say is, it will get better ;)

William Yanda
02-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Hey TommeBoy-that pesky groundhog saw his shadow, or didn't as the case may be.
Best wishes on your recovery.

02-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Man, do I know what you are going through. I was feeling low and restless, after my recent trigger finger surgery, but my wife kept me bucked up. The stiches were removed this past Monday, and that made a big difference. The swelling is gone, but a quarter-size knot remains, the area is a bit tender, and the finger won't bend enough to make a fist. The good news is that there is daily improvement.

Hang it there, it will get better.

geargnasher
02-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Just keep doing what the doc/therapists say, and realize you'll be better than before. Lots of things that happen to us are a permanent downgrade, which comes with their own flavor of, really, grief. I don't know how folks can cope with loss of digits or limbs, like BruceB losing half his leg and now being forever unable to walk on his own two feet. Heck, I crushed a fingertip badly a few years ago and am still in the anger/denial stage that my nail will never be "right" again. This winter has been a real winter for us in Texas, everyone is grumpy and sick of it by now, the humidity and cold and a record allergy season has made it pretty miserable. Come on SPRING!

Get better, Tommy. Don't start throwing those heavy brass moulds around one-handed just yet, you may hurt your other hand or overstress tendons doing repeated, awkward tasks. Ask me how I know:roll:

Gear

tomme boy
02-08-2014, 08:27 PM
And I have a new handgun I have not even fired yet. The stitches are out next week. The index finger has a knot about the size of a pea right on the fatty part right where the finger meets the palm. That knot really hurts. Now that I am using my left hand for everything, the same finger on my left hand are triggering again. I had shots in that hand about a year ago and it has not done it sense. More than likely I will have to have that hand done also.

Every job I have had has been working with my hands. Millwrighting, industrial construction electrician, rep for Dupont automotive finishes to body shops in the instruction of product application. This and diabetes are the main causes. The diabetic neuropathy in my legs and feet are taking a toll on me also. I also have it in my spine. The neurosurgeon I go to has done a few test and injections on me for the pain I have in my back that will not go away says it is very rare but it happens. He wants to insert a neurotransmitter in my lower back to stop all the pain I am having. Maybe this summer for that one. Sucks getting OLD!

OeldeWolf
02-08-2014, 08:47 PM
What I do for cabin fever and winter blues is pretty basic but effective. I have mild SAD (courtesy of my mother), and I have found things that really help.

I have several full spectrum light bulbs in the places in the house I spend the most time in. there are the "daylight" bulbs you can get at the big box stores. I take a vitamin D supplement. I also take a gingko biloba at night. It is a mild euphoric (it just makes you feel better).

Along with those, if there is sunlight, go out, close your eyes, and turn it sunward for a few minutes a day. Seems to help, for some reason. And by all means, keep active!

slim1836
02-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Hope you have a speedy recovery, please do not attempt anything that goes against the doctors advice, it usually results in a longer recovery time.

Slow and easy,

Slim

btroj
02-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Hang in there, it will get better.

You could drop the moulds off in IA City with my daughter, she can bring them to me when she comes home from school. I am more than willing to break them in for you!

Do what the MD and PT tell you to do, it will hasten the recover process. Don't push it too hard or you could make it far worse.

tomme boy
02-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Should I drop off the 9mm pistol too??

Bzcraig
02-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Tomme Boy, like others have said follow Dr orders, heal well and completely, then pour boolits with that new mold and shoot them with the new gun! Praying for a complete recovery!

btroj
02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Should I drop off the 9mm pistol too??

Yes! She loves shooting 9s! If you happen to have a 1911 she likes those too!

D Crockett
02-09-2014, 10:16 AM
do what the Doc says don't rush things that will just make it longer in recovery time. D Crockett

trys357
02-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Everything takes time to mend ... my brother-in-law had the same surgery.
Took @ 6 weeks for the total recovery.
Hang in there.

Crawdaddy
02-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Having gone through 5 surgeries on my right hand to repair arteries , reattach tendons and eventually amputate my little finger I can say first hand I know what you are going through.

Work hard at your physical therapy and things will get better.

Hang in there!