View Full Version : 6mm 106gn bullets from 22lr rf cases

Bullshop
02-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Going through some stuff I had forgotten about today and thought some swager might find these interesting and useful.
These are 6x45 cartridges loaded with 106gn bullets swaged from 22 lr cases.
I wanted heavier bullets than you could make from a single 22 lr case so I used two cases for each bullet.
Sure you can do it with a 22 mag case but I didn't have any nor did I have a way to trim them.
This worked out well and gives good accuracy.

firefly1957
02-08-2014, 06:32 PM
I have thought of doing the same myself but been sidetracked with other projects. Thank you for letting me know they shot well.

Lizard333
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Ok. Ill bite. How did you use 2 22LR case??

MUSTANG
02-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Bullshop:

If I am not mistaken, you configuring the final bullet similar to a partition bullet. How does the junction between the two 22LR jackets hold up? What weight core in the first jacket and what weight core in the 2nd?

Bullshop
02-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Its been a while since I have made some of these so don't remember the exact weight of the first core but can figure it out with a little math.
The procedure was to first swage a 22 cal bullet of 52 to 55 gn. Then prepare a 6mm jacket and seat a light core as normal. The weight of the core will depend on what finished weight you want. 22 RF jackets run about 10gn I think.
Anyway I think I was running 52gn 22 cal swage bullets so add another 10gn for the second jacket for a finished bullet of 106gn so the 6mm core must have been 44gn.
So you have a 6mm jacket with deep seated core then insert the 22 cal bullet in the 6mm jacket and seat it until it just begins to deform. Then finish as normal in the 6mm point form die.
The bullets that I have recovered look like two expanded bullets that have been fired separately.
When I first tried this I wondered if the outer jacket would peel back in flight because it is pretty much straight ending just about at the origin of the ogive. After shooting quite a bunch of them maybe a couple hundred it never seemed to be a problem.
It is double the work as your swaging two bullets to get one but it is a way to get a heavier bullet if your limited to 22 LRRF jackets only and if you have both 22 and 243 cal dies.

MUSTANG
02-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Never saw one, but many years ago in USMC boot camp we were trained on various US bullets for use in the .30, 7.62x51, and 5.56x45. Among these were "Duplex" and "Tri-Plex" bullets for the .30 & 7.62x51 (NOT THE SAME AS A DUPLEX POWDER LOAD as used in various discussions on this forum).

As I recall, there were black and white graphic drawings in the USMC Marine Handbook (Training Manual every Young Marine was required to have) of the duplex and tri-plex bullets as they would appear in a cut away drawing. Each projectile was about 80 Grains. Below is a picture I found on the Internet of a sectioned M198 Duplex Bullet :

These are not the same as Bullshops Bullets (which in my mind are closer to a partition). Although the military Duplex was supposed to meet 2 MOA at 100 Yards, I believe they were abandoned because of poor accuracy and terminal performance.

HGS
02-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Bullshop

I have 1,000 new unfired winchester super x .22 mag cases for trade if your interested, they are about 1 inch in length.

HGS

MOcaster
02-13-2014, 11:30 PM
I have a quick question. Where on earth do you get new, unprimed rimfire brass?

Bullshop
02-13-2014, 11:39 PM
I bought 1000 new unprimed cases a couple years ago for use as jackets. Went to de-rim the first one and POW!!
Went to de-rim the second one and POW!!!
Didn't try a third one.

Mustang
Yes you are right in that the base of the first bullet in the ogive is something like a partition between the two cores.

Prospector Howard
02-14-2014, 09:24 AM
I second that. Where do you get unfired rimfire brass? He didn't say they weren't unprimed, he said they were unfired.

HGS
02-14-2014, 10:00 AM
bullshop
Soak your primed .22 brass in what ever you choose to kill the priming residue before deriming, worked for me. Light oil, vinegar, ect.

My unfired .22 mag brass is new old stock, will post some in the S&S section for others later. I apologize for hijacking this thread as I did not intend to.

HGS