PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 25-15 45 Colt

Love Life
02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
After swearing off S&W new manufacture stuff for the last several years, I am interested in buying a new manufacture revolver.

I have my eye on the S&W model 25-15 in 45 Colt. It has a 6 1/2 inch barrel, nice bluing, walnut grips, etc. I've always wanted a S&W revolver in 45 Colt, and I'm a fan of their 6 1/2 inch barreled revolvers. There is just something special about drawing the 6 1/2 inch hogleg from a full flap holster on a frozen morning....

To my questions:

Does anybody here own one of the new S&W model 25-15 revolvers?
If so what are your thoughts on fit, finish, dimensions, etc?
Will the RCS 270-SAA boolit fit the revolver cylinder crimped in the crimp groove?
Can they safely handle a steady diet of a 255 gr boolit at 1,000 FPS?
Anybody on here a S&W dealer?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Outpost75
02-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Can't speak for the 25-15, mine was a 25-5 from.the 1980s. Oversized cylinder throats, groups twice the size of my Ruger, cylinder backspin in heavy loads, had same problem with my. 44 M29. Sold them both. Replaced them with New Model Rugers which have been shot alot and are highly satisfactory.

I wouldn't buy a new Smith.

44MAG#1
02-08-2014, 04:52 PM
"Will the RCS 270-SAA boolit fit the revolver cylinder crimped in the crimp groove?"

I shoot that bullet in my S&W Mountain Gun

"Can they safely handle a steady diet of a 255 gr boolit at 1,000 FPS?"

With ease. Why would they not be able not to handle that load?
Just think about. Speer using a 260 gr jacketed hits over 900 with a 51/2 inch at pressures within the SAAMI specs of 14000 PSI.

dubber123
02-08-2014, 04:56 PM
As close as I can come is a 625 Classic, and a 625 Mountain Gun. Both have .452" throats. The Classic hasn't been fired much, but is very accurate, it's first groups were 1" or less at 25 yds., I have to work up some loads and move it to 50 yds., as I think thats a more realistic distance to judge accuracy. The Mountain Gun has digested quite a few 300-320 gr. cast at 1,050 to 1,100 fps. and is still tight and accurate. They are NOT Ruger strong, but a 255 at 1,000 shouldn't bother one in the least. I shot a bunch of Keith style 310 gr. swc's that had a long nose, and they fit when crimped in the crimp groove. I am sure the RCBS boolit would fit fine too.

Love Life
02-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Thank you for the information everybody. I'm a little leery as I'll have to put in order in with the gunshop or buy from Gunbroker.

One thing I noticed on the BNIB gunbroker guns is they all have a turn line already. Not cool.

I have a couple older S&W N-Frames and I love them dearly, and I hope a new one will be up to snuff.

osteodoc08
02-08-2014, 07:40 PM
I've got a 45 Colt mountain gun and it is a real treat.

Read this article here

http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=12

That should put some of your reservations to bed.

Mine also shoots the RCBS 45-270-SAA quite nicely and has enough room in the cylinder.

Now go buy it already!

Love Life
02-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Thank you!! Very informative article, and it looks like 10 gr of Unique under a RCBS 45-270-SAA is not only safe, but won't kill the gun.

The wife just rolled her eyes at me.

osteodoc08
02-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Thank you!! Very informative article, and it looks like 10 gr of Unique under a RCBS 45-270-SAA is not only safe, but won't kill the gun.

No problem. There is also articles concerning "mid +P" loadings of 20-22k PSI for the N frames.

dubber123
02-08-2014, 08:26 PM

I know seating depth will be a factor compared the the RCBS boolit, but 10.5 Grains of Unique and a 265 gr. LBT averages 1,074 from my 4" Mountain Gun. I shot a bunch of those, easy shooting, and very accurate.

Love Life
02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
I'll be calling the gun store on Monday to see what they can do for ordering in a new one. The difference between used and new prices really makes buying new with a warranty a no brainer.

I just pray I don't get a lemon. The PC really put a hurt on my wants for buying new manufacture S&W.

What profile is your LBT Dubber123? WFN, SWC, etc?

OsteoDoc08- I can't find the issue, but I recall a great handloader article that covered the 45 Colt from Low end loads for the SAA to WHOAH MAMAM!!! loads for the Rugers. I reckon I'll have to get digging in my magazine box.

Haha!! My wife said there was no reason to save those magazines!

dubber123
02-08-2014, 09:31 PM
The LBT's were a WFN design. I shot a bunch of the LEE 300 RF's, which weighed 320 grains from my mold. They shot well, but only when shoved to almost 1,100 fps. using H-110, which is really working over a S&W pretty good. The Keith style I shot was 310 grains, and that too didn't shoot well until I got well over 1,000 fps. I got both of the heavies to shoot around 2" at 50 yds., but I have given up on them in the Smiths and I have been fooling with more mid weight boolits to take it a bit easier on them.

Love Life
02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
If I can get a RCBS 45-270-SAA in the 900-1000 FPS zone with accuracy, then I would call it a day and mass produce that load. That should have enough stank for any animals I may have issues with here.

TXGunNut
02-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Good luck! I'll never forget the first 25-5 I fondled or the first Mountain Gun I drooled over. I think my RBH is a better gun for my needs but I've wanted a 25 in 45 Colt since I first saw one. For some reason I've never scratched that particular itch...yet. As many S&W and 45 Colt revolvers as I have hanging around here you'd think one would be a 25 in 45 Colt.
Good thing I'm single, I'd be getting more than an eye roll for what's on my mind right now. ;-)

High Desert Hunter
02-20-2014, 12:05 AM
My 25-13 loves my 45-270SAA bullet and 13grs of HS-6 or 9grs of Unique. I called and talked to John Linebaugh before I purchased mine, which is a Mt Gun, and he assured me that it is more than suitable for 28K PSI loads, like the Ruger Blackhawk, it is the same frame and cylinder as the Model 29 in 44 Magnum, so the 80% rule applies. Mr. Linebaugh carries one daily, and when in Grizz country it is stoked with 310gr bullets and H110.

gon2shoot
02-20-2014, 06:39 AM
I just had to have a new 45 Mountain gun a few years ago. The bbl/ cylinder gap was 4 thou on one side, 11 thou on the other. Called S&W and was told that it was within tolerance.
Needless to say the only S&W I still own is a 646. ( but it is a shootin son-of-a-gun :-D)

762 shooter
02-20-2014, 08:49 AM
Here is the Brian Pearce article.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

osteodoc08
02-20-2014, 09:41 AM
My 25-13 loves my 45-270SAA bullet and 13grs of HS-6 or 9grs of Unique. I called and talked to John Linebaugh before I purchased mine, which is a Mt Gun, and he assured me that it is more than suitable for 28K PSI loads, like the Ruger Blackhawk, it is the same frame and cylinder as the Model 29 in 44 Magnum, so the 80% rule applies. Mr. Linebaugh carries one daily, and when in Grizz country it is stoked with 310gr bullets and H110.

Ive got about 400 loaded with the 45-270 SAA and 13.5gr of HS-6. Just for reference, it was averaging 1360fps out of my Marlin 45colt CB model. I didnt have my Mountain Gun that day at the range to run them over the chrony.

Love Life
02-20-2014, 11:52 PM
Thank you for the article and thank you for all the information everybody!!! Looks like it's time to move one of the spare Glocks out the door to add a little more funding to the pot!

osteodoc08
02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Chanting:

Do it, Do it, Do it

I lost out on a 25-15 about 2 years ago. Wish I would of snagged it up.

9.3X62AL
02-21-2014, 12:57 PM

This is *interesting* information via Mr. Linebaugh.

The 45 Colt is such a useful, capable caliber. I have yet to own a S&W so chambered, but came real close to a Colt New Service recently. The seller's idea of what "90% example" actually meant vs. my own and the tariffs that apply at those levels prevented a transaction. Not all Californians are Malibu Mushbrains. Uberti and Ruger single actions have held sway here, and given fine performance. I had to finish building the Ruger, which in the 1990s was sold in kit form, but the end results were positive.

onceabull
02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Love Life: If it were not for your 6 1/2 Barrel jones, I would try to find the guy who didn't sell his 4" 625-x Mountain gun 45 at the Filer G.S. two w'kends ago @ $719... Hurt to leave it with him,& if he shows up @ the w'kends show, I may weaken as I just sold my NIB 445 Supermag this afternnon for a value price( as per usual) Onceabull

Love Life
02-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I'd take a 4" mountain gun!! If you can track him down (and you don't buy it) I have cash money in hand.

9.3X62AL
02-21-2014, 09:25 PM
LL, get your dollars ready. You are studying at the feet of The Master now. My safe is graced by acquisitions from this source point, I am very happy to report.

Good to hear about that 445's relocation, Bull.

Love Life
02-21-2014, 09:28 PM
9.3X62AL, oh I can believe it. I still kick myself for not buying one of those short barreled S&W 44 special revolvers he had for sale at the 2012 NCBS.

onceabull
02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
If I could have got my hands on another 6-8 of those snubbie S&W 44s at realistic prices I believe the whole lot would be somewhere within 80 miles or so of Twin Falls, Id. I marked up the two you saw just a tad, and they didn't last till noon,the first day of the Feb.'13 show..Every show there since then I have at least one guy asking if I have any more like the "one that XYZ bought"..Those high dollar farm guys do stick together.. (and know value pricing when pearls are cast before them..) Cheat one of them just once,and it's game over...... Onceabull

onceabull
02-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Well ,I'm sure most know by now that there is always likely to be at least one 445 living here..The one that's leaving needed to be sold while still NIB,as even I can't withstand temptation to eternity..SO that 6" one some shot at NCBS '13 will likely be there again... Onceabull

Love Life
02-22-2014, 01:41 AM
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12038625/

Holy turn line batman. Looks like somebody chucked the cylinder in a lathe and single point cut the turn line in.

See. This is why I don't buy new production stuff anymore.

9.3X62AL
02-22-2014, 01:49 AM
That grip set is pretty off-putting, too. They make Pachmayrs seem elegant in comparison.

Smith & Wesson has lost their way, and possibly their mind as well.

Love Life
02-22-2014, 03:51 AM
Kind of sad. After the bad burn from the PC I was willing to give them a try. Every NIB 25-15 I have seen pictures of has a serious turn line. My model 28 has thousands upon thousands of rds through it, and it's turn line isn't even that pronounced. Seriously.

Sheesh, you'd think they'd at least hit it with a bluing pen. Wait, I take it back because that is what they will start doing.

TXGunNut
02-22-2014, 11:09 AM
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12038625/

Holy turn line batman. Looks like somebody chucked the cylinder in a lathe and single point cut the turn line in.

See. This is why I don't buy new production stuff anymore.

Hard to grade as "factory new", shame they couldn't spend a minute or two to get the bolt right.

tek4260
02-22-2014, 11:37 AM
You'll be dang lucky if you buy a new one with a properly indexed barrel.

Just got my JM back from Smith for a barrel straighten and a new cylinder. Only 2 chambers passed the range rod test before. Never seen a revolver before that one that had some chambers in alignment. It is usually all or none.

6bg6ga
02-22-2014, 02:19 PM
I have narrowly missed several at gun shows lately. I have one slated for my purchase list.......go for it.

Good Cheer
03-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Check for bore reduction due to frame squeeze. Not saying you will have it but my brother did on his years ago. He sent it back (back then) and got a good one.

osteodoc08
03-04-2014, 03:28 PM
So where do we stand on 45Colt goodness? Get/order one yet?

If you can get a Mountain Gun for $719, better jump on it. I love mine.

enfieldphile
03-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I know that's right!

I got mine NIB for about $600.00 OTD some years back when that 5000 piece run was made. The LGS had 2. I shuda bought both! ;)

Last year on GB, a slightly used one (looked perfect, had box all papers etc.) went out @ $1,650.00

Even just a gun w/o box etc. trade between $750.00 to $850.00 + these days.

If you can get a Mountain Gun for $719, better jump on it. I love mine.

Char-Gar
03-04-2014, 06:17 PM
The Smith and Wesson 25 has a checkered history. When it came on line, it came with very large cylinder throats that mimicked the old Colt monster throats. Accuracy was nothing to write home about.

In 1989 the 25-7 was introduced and it had uniform .453 throats, a 5" barrel and an unfluted cylinder. Hearing that Smith and Wesson got it right on this handgun I bought one that had languished in an Odessa Texas pawn shop. It proved to be a good purchase. Accuracy was first rate.

I don't know, but I suppose that Smith and Wesson took a lesson from the 25-7 and tightened the throats on all subsequent versions of the 25. Others will have to verify that.

Cylinder backspin was a problem with the Model 29 and heavy loads. Also about 1989 Smith and Wesson monkeyed with the lockwork and brought out their enhanced version of the 29 and cylinder backspin ceased to be an issue. I don't know if they incorporated that enhanced lockwork into the 25 line or not.

I never shot anything stouter than 8.5/Unique/260 Keith SWC in my 25-7 and never had any cylinder backspin issues.

In a handgun with properly dimensioned charge holes and throats, the 45 Colt is a very accurate round. I have never seen any purpose in trying to hot rod one of these. That is why the 44 Magnum is made.

BTW I have a latter 29 Model of 1989 with the enhanced lockwork and sure enough, no backspin.

A final word of disclosure and confession, I am a huge Smith and Wesson fan. That said, I am not blind to the problems some of them have and have sold quite a few down river because they were clunkers for one reason or another. But when you get a good one, you have a very good handgun. I have found it worth culling out the bad ones to find the jewels.

Everybody who makes handguns over a period of time will turn out some less than wonderful products. That includes Smith and Wesson, Colt and Ruger. When we do find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it is worth the quest and occasional disappointments along the way.

Enjoy your new toy and let us know how it works for you.

9.3X62AL
03-04-2014, 07:27 PM
I wonder.....if the correction to the S&W heavy recoil-cylinder backspin problem--too light bolt spring--is causing the furrowed cylinder seen on the examples mentioned?

One note of caution for those getting started with the 45 Colt loading bit.....do a Tale Of The Tape on all pieces within the die set. My initial tooling (RCBS tungsten-carbide set) did too good a job of resizing fired brass--down to .469". SAAMI spec is .480" or a taste under that. I bought an RCBS steel die, and its work is mo bettah, .476"-.477" depending on brass make. Brass life is improved considerably via this change. Also, the expander spud dimension is .448". This might be OK for .451" j-words, but ain't gonna fly for soft-alloy plain-base boolits that mic .454". Buckshot to the rescue, he turned me a .452" spud for the Lyman M-die so the boolits survive seating without over-squeezing.

felix
03-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Bolt unlocking happens on all older N frames. When I lived in Hartford, I was a consistent visitor, say every 6 months for 4 years, at Smith with a suitcase full of guns each time. Some were returned more than once, and some were only shot 100 rounds before a return. I am here to tell you now, that the lockworks in these pissolas is what makes these guns accurate or not. Get the works out of sync just a little, you can see the accuracy drift. The bolt system on revolvers, no matter what brand, is the culprit to be looked at first. ... felix

Love Life
03-05-2014, 01:12 AM
Heck, I just wish I had a suitcase full of guns!!

No dice on the 25-15 yet as I really don't believe the turn line monsters being sold as "NIB" are worth the money. I'm not spending that kind of money on a new gun with a worse turn line than my 1970's model 28. No Sir, No way, No how.

felix
03-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Hartford to Springfield was 20 miles, and with New England traffic, that was a lot of time and effort. Might as well make the time worth while, so taking a suitcase full of guns was most imperative to come out ahead. Most everyone in the Harfford area that I knew belonged to a competitive gun team of some sort. Pat and I shot for the Bears BullsEye club, and that consisted of probably 20 members. After a night's match the revolters came out for show and tell mostly, but really to exchange what's to be done to make them better. Most went to Smith for tuning because Smith knew the folks well on the area teams because of the Model 41 popularity. The auto guns were best fixed by Colt folks and those smithies assigned to the local ranges. So, a suitcase full of guns was community property with 100 percent probability. ... felix

RKJ
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Love life, do the classic guns have that 2 piece barrel or the original type? I have been wanting a 25 for awhile, not looking seriously yet but am curious about the barrel.

Love Life
03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
I can't answer that question. The only S&W revolvers I have bought in the last several years have been from the 70's or older.

RKJ
03-12-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm just curious. From the looks of them on their site, they look to be the original type barrels, but from the side (which they always seem to show the right side for some reason) the 2 piece look like the original. I suppose they shoot fine and the looks from the front aren't that bad but they just don't look right to me. When I'm ready to get one I'll worry about it then. :) Thanks. I look forward to hearing about yours.

W.E.G.
12-17-2023, 01:51 PM
Apologies for my low post-count and for bumping such an old thread.
I'm the ADMIN over at https://www.falfiles.com/ so I'm pretty daft, but not completely clueless

But I think my questions are in-context for this thread, so maybe helpful for reference.

I also posted over at
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/713575-45-acp-moon-clips-ok-current-version-model-25-15-a.html#post141886796

Anyhow, here goes:

Are 45 ACP moon clips OK for current version of Model 25-15?

I'm looking at the current version of the Model 25.

I believe it would be the 25-15 version now.

Two questions:
1. Can I shoot 45 ACP with moon clips in it?
2. Is it a conventional barrel like the old days, or does it have a tube-and-shroud arrangement?

I think I know the answer to the second question. At least from photos I've seen, it looks like a conventional barrel from the old days. Unless Smith and Wesson has gotten REAL GOOD at concealing the tube/shroud. Pics of the muzzle of the 25-15 I've seen on various websites look like the 25-15 steel is pretty narrow (as it should be) near the muzzle, and no lines that would indicate a two-piece tube/shroud arrangement such as seen in the Model 69.

This one I'm interested in:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-25-s-w-classics-6-1-2-blue

Smith and Wesson website simply says its chambered in "45 COLT."

I believe they should have said 45 LONG Colt.
But I'm not trying to nit-pick that detail.

I believe this is the "dash" FIFTEEN model.
But the Smith and Wesson website doesn't mention the "dash" part of it either.

If I get one of these, I'd like to be able to shoot my good supply of 45 ACP ammo in it. Nothing against the 45 LONG COLT flavor. I just don't have a supply of 45 LONG COLT ammo. It would be my preference to just shoot the same 45 ACP target ammo I use in my 1911 guns in this very attractive wheelgun. I don't mind buying the moon-clip paraphernalia to accomplish the task.

So can anybody say for sure whether the 25-15 model will allow use of moon-clips such that I can shoot 45 ACP in it?

Thanks for your consideration and comments.

rintinglen
12-17-2023, 03:00 PM
The 25-15 is for the 45 Colt, AKA, 45 long Colt.

billmc2
12-18-2023, 01:27 AM
I'm not an expert on these things but I believe the 25-odd numbers are 45 Colt and the 25-even numbers are the 45 ACP.

The SAAMI designation is 45 Colt
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/SAAMI-Generally-Accepted-Cartridge-and-Chambers-10-8-2021.pdf