PDA

View Full Version : has anybody used the Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-160-RF 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Colt

doctorggg
02-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I am contemplating purchasing this mold to save lead. Has anybody used it successfully in a 1911 or Colt SAA/Clones?
It looks short and I don't know enough about boolit length versus twist rate for stabilization.
Thank you for you input.

rodwha
02-09-2014, 06:04 PM
It ought to stabilize just fine. The Ruger Old Army uses a .45 Colt barrel (1:16" twist) to stabilize 144 grn .457" round balls.

doctorggg
02-09-2014, 07:47 PM
rodwha
thank you for the kind answer. I will order the mold now.
Be Blessed,
Greg

Dale53
02-09-2014, 07:56 PM
doctorggg;
There are other considerations. If you are planning on using this in a 1911, you may have some issues with function. That should be able to be solved through the manipulation of load (power) and springs. If you have fixed sights you may have problem getting a sight zero with "uber light" bullets.

On the other hand, I regularly shoot the Mihec version of the H&G #68 in my 1911 (regulate the operation with the judicious application of springs and power). I now have a red dot sight on the 1911 so sight regulation would not be a problem. In the revolvers you will almost certainly have P.O.A. issues. Even with adjustable sights that may present a problem.

All of that said, if the idea appealed to me, I would go ahead (keeping in mind that I might have to deal with those issues).

Keep us posted, we might want to know the outcome.

Dale53

TXGunNut
02-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Neat thing about the 2-cav Lee moulds is that it only costs $20 to try them. I bought their TL 200 gr SWC mould to try in my .45 before I ordered the six cav. Pretty decent mould for the money but I didn't like the alignment pins. They now have the same alignment pins found on their six-cav moulds.

Ubet
02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
I've always been fond of a 200 grain truncated semi-wadcutter for use in 1911 pistols, both full size and compact. The 200 grain bullets always worked very well for me in a variety of .45 auto, and I have also used the same bullet in loading for a S&W 25-5.

I recently ordered a Lee tl452-200swc-90463 to start casting some of my own bullets for reloading, but I haven't cast any with it yet.

doctorggg
02-11-2014, 07:58 PM
I hadn't considered the POA. Being a former J bullet shooter for 40 years I have had to learn a lot in the last 3.5 years of casting. That's the beauty of this sight. People helping other people. I do have adjustable sights on most of my 1911's and different spring weights. About 1/2 my revolvers have adjustable sights. Thank you for making me aware of that before I cast any boolits. I will just stick to 200-230 grain boolits. I'm having a blast with the shake and bake powder coating and the 45 acp.

gwpercle
02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
I've always been fond of a 200 grain truncated semi-wadcutter for use in 1911 pistols, both full size and compact. The 200 grain bullets always worked very well for me in a variety of .45 auto, and I have also used the same bullet in loading for a S&W 25-5.

I recently ordered a Lee tl452-200swc-90463 to start casting some of my own bullets for reloading, but I haven't cast any with it yet.
I have bought three, so far, of the "new" 2-cavity molds...like them a lot. Three things:
1)When you get it open the sprue plate very carefully and smooth the underside with wetordry #400 grit. Go over all edges and surfaces and remove all roughness, burrs or places that rub.
2) Cleaning...I placed my mold in a small container, blocks in, handles sticking out, then filled the container until the blocks were covered with acetone, molded tin foil around the top and handles as to cut down on evaporation, I let them soak in it for six hours....that removed all the oil that seems to be in the pores of the aluminum ( it causes wrinkles in your boolits) and is a bugger to get out. Otherwise you will scrub them 3 or 4 times before all the oil is removed.
3) use Permatex Anti-Seize Compound to lube the mold with. Use very little and try not to contaminate the cavity...you get the wrinkles again.

Gary

yman
02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I have 9 lee molds, including the 200gr swc, for the $$ they are hard to beat. I like the mold, dont care for the bullet. I must be doing something wrong because i cant get it to seat far enough in the case to keep it above the rim. Does not chamber well in my 1911 or my Ruger with 45acp cylinder. But its a good looking bullet and I molded about 1000. I also must be doing something wrong when I use my mold. I just get the mold out of the box, spray it down with gun scrubber, black the heck out of it with a candle then wipe off the the flat surfaces carefully with a clean soft cloth leaving only the bullet cavity itself blackened. Then after about 100 bullets I reblack it and wipe off the flats, and then again as needed. Usally after about 500 you wont have to black it any more untill the next time get it out to use it.
I you havent bought a Lee mold in a few month they have changed the design. Better alignment pins. If your not sure about a certain bullet desgin Lee molds are sure a good way to try one out. Heck you mite just like them and order some more.