PDA

View Full Version : 30 Carbine sizing question

ShooterAZ
02-08-2014, 01:06 PM
I have been using a Lee sizing die in my RL550 for 30 Carb, no problems. I recently picked up a Dillon die set in a trade, and have a question regarding proper die adjustment. The Dillon sizer has a very flat base, no recess at all. The other dies in the set are Redding. My question is, when sizing should I make contact with the shell holder, or hold it back a little bit? Should I be sizing the web area of the case? If adjusted to Dillon's recommendation (1/2 turn off the shell holder) the web section is not getting sized at all. Thanks...Shooter

Larry Gibson
02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Adjust the die in only enough to size the case so it "plops" into the chamber with a muzzle down hold. Should still be enough of the neck area sized to hold the bullet. You won't be over working your cases that way and they will last practically for ever. If you are lucky enough, or rich enough, to have more than one M1 Carbine then size the cases to the smallest chamber (found with "plop" test by gradually sizing the case until it "plops" in all chambers). That's how I do it anyways. Otherwise bump the shell lightly on the bottom of the die for a complete FL sizing. BTW; I prefer to use the Lee Carbide sizer in my 550B.

Larry Gibson

ShooterAZ
02-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks Larry. I don't think I care for the Dillon sizing die, I'm going back to the Lee. It has no radius and the edge is very sharp. It's sizing slightly out of round at the web too. No such problems with the Lee die. I'll try the Redding seat & taper crimp dies though. I ordered the Forster 1/8 HP tool and it should be here today, looking forward to using it for my M1 Carbine boolits.

deltaenterprizes
02-08-2014, 04:06 PM
The square mouth die sizes closer to the rim.

USSR
02-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I quit sizing all the way down the web area along time ago with my .30 Carbine brass. If that part of the brass is getting blown out, your loads are WAY TOO HOT!

Don