PDA

View Full Version : I need a new press. Dillon 550B or Lee Turret

TMenezes
02-08-2014, 12:57 AM
So all my reloading has been on a Lee single stage but I am thinking its time to get something that loads a bit faster. I have read up on all the reviews I could find and am now divided. I like the cheap price and ease of caliber changes on the Lee Turret, but I also like the build quality of the Dillon 550B. Every time I think I've decided to spend a ton of money on the Dillon and all the parts it needs to load all my different calibers. I get to thinking how inexpensive the Lee is and how easy it is to change turrets. Then when I start preparing my order for a Lee, I get to thinking about the rock solid Dillon!

Please help!

Alvarez Kelly
02-08-2014, 01:05 AM
You will never be sorry you bought the Dillon. Spend the money and cry once.

Jeff R
02-08-2014, 01:11 AM
I have had a Dillon 550B since they first came out. At the time, I also bought the little spare part baggie. I have never had to open that yet. A couple weeks ago, a buddy new to reloading, asked me to help him set up his new Lee progressive press. We got it working fine, but I was secretly concerned about the number of critical parts that were made out of plastic. +1 on what Alvarez said.
Jeff

ph4570
02-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Consider the LNL AP.

VHoward
02-08-2014, 01:34 AM
The Lee Classic Turret is Good, but the Dillon 550B will serve you better in the long run. Better quality to last a lifetime and your grandchildrens lifetime.

MBTcustom
02-08-2014, 01:56 AM
I've used both. A turret will never keep up with a progressive (even a hand operated one like the 550).
I finally sold my Hollywood turret to raise the money to buy a Dillon 550 form Alvarez Kelly. It's taken a while to gather all the conversions I need, but I'm able to do 5 different calibers now.
The fact is that Dillon is a much better design, and makes better use of your time and effort than a turret. If I couldn't afford a 550, then I would just stick with my trusty old RockChucker.
I tell you what though, when it comes time to load 45ACP it's worth the setup time to get 400 rounds an hour instead of 100 on the Chucker.

If I were just shooting rifle, I wouldn't bother (ok maybe I would for an AR or an M1A) but for pistol? Lets just say that I can't believe I went this long without a progressive.

Love Life
02-08-2014, 02:11 AM
Dillon. Worth every penny.

gunoil
02-08-2014, 02:13 AM
dillon

Garyshome
02-08-2014, 02:51 AM
Dillon! You can't go wrong. thousands of loads and no issues.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-08-2014, 03:20 AM
I'm going to go against the crowd a little bit and suggest you consider how many rounds you shoot per month and then make a decision based on that plus price.

Here's a thought or two to help you make the decision:

1. The average man operating a 550 turns out about 350 rounds per hour, all things considered. Some do a little better, but not a lot of folks hit that 550 rating, though it can be done. It's a progressive, but not fully automated in my mind, as there's no automatic advance. The greatest number of double charged cases I've seen over the years has been with a manual advance press, particularly if the safety mechanisms are bypassed. The 550 isn't the greatest at caliber changes and they're somewhat pricey.

2. The Lee Classic Turret (I would never suggest their standard turret.), fully outfitted with all it's automated gadgets (And that's the only way I suggest anybody buy it.) and a powder through measure, is capable of between 200-300 cartridges per hour. 200 is reasonably easy to accomplish if you're mechanically inclined and take the time to properly tune the Classic Turret out of the box. (And I would highly suggest tuning it, as it isn't hard, doesn't time much more time than setting it up and makes it run much smoother/faster.) It's also very fast at caliber changes and they're inexpensive.

3. The third thing to consider is, if you're going to go progressive and have a need for more speed or just need more time to shoot versus load, why are you going manual advance? If you need the speed, go whole hog, save your money and get a progressive that has auto advance, like the Hornady LnL, the Dillon 650 or the RCBS Pro 2000 auto advance. Not significantly more expensive than the 550 when you amortize it over your life time and long term, you'll have a setup that truly will crank out some rounds.

Note: I've owned every single press I just talked about, except the 650 and operated them all, including the 650 for significant amounts of ammunition.

Final thought: To my mind, you need to have a BIG need for lots of ammunition or a big need for much more non-reloading time and/or convenience to buy a full blown progressive. They eat lots of primers, powder and bullets, so not only do you have to pay for the press, but the materials to make the ammunition, so figure raw materials into your equation as well. Does you no good to have a 500-1000 dollar progressive and be unable to buy bullets, powder or primers.

Hope this helps,

Alvarez Kelly
02-08-2014, 04:12 AM
I have owned and reloaded on Dillon Square Deals, RL300s, RL450s, RL550s, XL650s, and Super 1050s. I have two RL550Bs on my bench right now. That's the press I personally prefer out of them all. There is nothing wrong with a manually advanced progressive press, as long as the operator is aware of what is going on.

Lots of folks fall into the faster is better trap. That's fine if you need 1000s of the exact same loads. I shoot a variety of loads, so easy changes are nice. The 550s are the most flexible press Dillon makes.

As much as i like the Dillon 550, I still recommend you reload on one before you buy if possible. What works great for me may not be right for you.

kweidner
02-08-2014, 04:13 AM
Any dillon will get the job done. Toolheads and conversions are least expensive with the 550. I get 400 per hour taking my time.

Bad Water Bill
02-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Does ANYONE back their product better than Dillon.

Ask Lloyd Smally how well Dillon took care of him when his reloading place burned TO THE GROUND.

Name me another brand that will do the same thing.

labradigger1
02-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Dillon!
I have 2 550's and a t-mag on my bench right now. T-mag turrett rarely gets used anymore. Realize you dont "need" everything at once and build your accs over time. I have never been sorry about dillon.
Lab

chsparkman
02-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Consider the LNL AP.

+1! I've never regretted this choice.

btroj
02-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Dillon. They just work. Period.

357shooter
02-08-2014, 09:00 AM
The Dillon 550 is right in the sweet spot my both myself and many hand loaders. I can take my time and load at a 400 per hour, or moving at a slight faster still comfortable rate at 500 per hour. I too load a variety of calibers and find the changes easy and quick to make.

I prefer the manual advance and think it's much safer than auto indexing presses. It gives you total control, and should you feel something funny occur it's easier to bebug and figure out what happened. Overall I think it's much safer.

Also, the ram/handle can be operated more quickly than with a auto-indexing press. The handle only raise and lowers the ram, there's not mechancial gizmo's being driven, something to note if you should get one.

I cannot recommend the 550b enough. It's all I use these days, for handguns and rifles. I like the Lee Turret and think it a good press, actually a great deal for the money. But it cannot be compared to the 550b except for overall cost. This is a case of: you get what you pay for.

Artful
02-08-2014, 09:04 AM
So all my reloading has been on a Lee single stage but I am thinking its time to get something that loads a bit faster.
Tell us about what's happening that you want to reload "a bit faster".

I have read up on all the reviews I could find and am now divided. I like the cheap price and ease of caliber changes on the Lee Turret, but I also like the build quality of the Dillon 550B. Every time I think I've decided to spend a ton of money on the Dillon and all the parts it needs to load all my different calibers. I get to thinking how inexpensive the Lee is and how easy it is to change turrets. Then when I start preparing my order for a Lee, I get to thinking about the rock solid Dillon!

Please help!
I would be happy to help but want to give you the correct answer so need more information.

I makes a big difference what you are trying to do. How many calibers do you reload for?
Are you just wanting to spend more time behind a trigger and less behind the press handle? Have you started competing in 3 gun? or have your kids come of age to start shooting? What are the circumstances that are driving you to want to upgrade?

knobster
02-08-2014, 09:15 AM
My dad has a Dillon 550B and it is one sweet piece of machinery. We crank out 100s of pistol rounds all afternoon when I come up for a visit. Never had an issue with it (other than operator error) so I say go for the Dillon. Worth every penny.

Sailorman1
02-08-2014, 09:24 AM
I think you have to ask yourself how much are you actually going to shoot and how many different calibers?

I went the Lee classic cast turret route and couldn't be happier for my needs. I reload for 6 different pistol calibers and being able to switch between calibers is a breeze on the turret. And the extra turret heads are cheap to buy I have one with just a universal decapping die in it.

I find I just have no need for 400 rounds an hour that just doesn't fit into my reloading or shooting. I do have certain loads I do like and I crank out a 100 here and there to have around. But I find most of my time at the press is tweaking loads or trying new bullets or different powders. So these sessions are more like 50 of these and 50 of those to try at the range. If the kids go with me I always have some medium loads for the Daughters and some lighter loads if the grand kids come as well. So once again its 50 of these and 50 of those when I am at the press.

I shoot both indoor/outdoor so shoot all year long about 2 to 3 times per Month. When I go I usually take 2 to 3 different guns/calibers and a 100 rounds each. If the kids come along another 50 or 100 per pistol. On the turret it takes me about 35/40 minutes including set up to load a 100 rounds and that is pretty much taking my time to make quality ammo.

Everyone reloads and shoots for different reasons and has different needs. Only you would know what option would fit your needs the best.

Hope this helped.

enfieldphile
02-08-2014, 09:34 AM
I too will go against the grain on this one.

Alot depends on how much ammo you realistically plan on producing. Look back at your previous year and determine how much ammo you produced. If you feel you will consume the same in the future, and just want to consume it faster, the Lee Cast Iron Turret may be the machine for you.

If you feel your ammo need will drastically increase, perhaps you would be better suited w/ the more expensive Dillon.

My friend has the Dillon. It's a fine tool. I have loaded ammo on it with him. The setup time to change Calibers is a factor. If a shooter only shoots one caliber, and needs the hi production rate the Dillon is an attractive tool.

I have the Lee Classic cast iron turret. It too is a good tool. Like any tool, the operator is the main factor. The learning curve was fast. Caliber change is a snap. Turn the turret backward, lift and remove. Install the next turret, unthread and move the powder measure. Take off 2 nuts and change the charge disk. Put the large or small primer feed unit in the hanger. Change the shell holder.

I do not like the 4th die (carbide crimp) in the Lee set. I use a Redding Profile Crimp die for revolver or a Lee taper crimp for .45acp.

I have a Redding 3 Washer set to raise the dies when switching from .38 to .357 brass.

r1kk1
02-08-2014, 09:49 AM
My friend has the Dillon. It's a fine tool. I have loaded ammo on it with him. The setup time to change Calibers is a factor. If a shooter only shoots one caliber, and needs the hi production rate the Dillon is an attractive tool.

I agree with most of your post. I pull two pins and remove powder return rod on the 550 to go from 45acp, 30-06, 358 Winchester etc. by swapping heads. If I need to swap shellplates, two Allen headed screws, primer system is pretty easy too.

Really painless.

Take care

r1kk1

Sgtonory
02-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I have both 550 and turret. I really wish i had a 5th station. I see a Hornady LNL in my future. I agree with the pay once cry once moto. But you can never have enough presses. The lee turret still get's used a lot and i am happy i got it. But i think it is almost mandatory to have a 5th station when reloading cast boolits. Being able to use a Lyman M die is great.

deepskyridge
02-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I also have both a Dillon 550 and a Redding T7 turret press. If you want to reload pistol ammo I would go with the Dillon, if you wear it out they will rebuild it for you for free.

I use my T7 for rifle rounds.

Good Luck

Gary

DCM
02-08-2014, 01:17 PM
+1 for the Dillon, my Lyman single stage orange crusher is good but my Dillon is great!

Really surprised there are no comments from the aussie blue basher... yet.

Love Life
02-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Dave brings up a good point. Feeding the machine. I had a 1050 for the sole purpose of swaging a ridiculous amount of primer pockets. I never used the machine nor had any intention to. I couldn't feed it!!! It would seriously load a years worth of 308 in 3 hours!

I don't like the 650 as I don't like auto advance.

The RL550B is my favorite of the line up. Easy caliber swaps, and I load everything from pistol to 8X57 on the RL550B. I can load a couple hundred an hour if I want, or I can load 100. The time saved is incredible and worth every penny. When my 550 is spitting out 38 specials, 45 acp, 10mm, 9mm, 8X57, 308, etc it is truly a great thing. Instead of taking forever to load 100 rds, swapping out dies between steps, etc, I just check the powder charge and start pulling the handle.

Due to the manual advance, you can also do load development on the RL550 as well. If I could ONLY HAVE ONE press for the rest of my life it would be the RL550B.

hicard
02-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I have 2 Dillon 550 B's and highly recommend them. My only complaint is that I never have any empty brass when I want to try a different load but, that is my fault, not Dillon.

Blanco
02-08-2014, 02:23 PM
I will buck the tide on this one a bit.
I would not disagree that Dillon makes probably the finest reloading tools the average person would ever need. If money is not the object spend away. On the other hand I, being the tight **** I am just had to test out the Lee LoadMaster press. If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind a bit of tinkering the Load Master can put quite shootable ammunition out pretty rapidly. Going the Lee route will also save more than just a few bucks compared to the Dillons.
The Loadmasters are stupidly simple devices. I counted a total of just 5 moving parts on the whole machine!
When I have had an issue Lee has fantastic customer service and most always just sends out the parts I need for free... even out of warranty.
Lee is a real Made In The USA product that supports and employs Americans

Love Life
02-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Working correctly out of the box without tweaks is worth the Dillon premium. I like Lee stuff, but I really hate being the finishing department for their end products.

country gent
02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
I have not used the 550 but have 2 650s on my bench that were upgrades to the older lee auto turret. I dont know if it has changed but check on this My lee turret cmaame with a warning not to use certain primers in the primer system on it. My Dillons have performed flawlessly for 15 years now Loading rifle and pistol rounds in quanityies to keep the whole family shooting. At one time there were three of us shooting NRA High Power matches alot of 223, 243, and 308 thru out the years. Decide on the quanity you need and the time you want to spend and let that decide the issue. Yes you go thru components faster but also the ammo piles up faster. I made risers and a drop chute up for mine so a 50 cal ammo can is the ammo catcher. I perfer the dillons over lees as it seemed like I was always fiddling with te lees some where.
Another thing if its possible is to run a friends press if you can and see which you perfer. Most will understand what your asking and be happy to help.

Smoke4320
02-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Buy Dillon and Cry once (you kids will love it when they inherit it). between a 650 and a rockchucker (bought in 1977) I can do anything I want...

Butler Ford
02-08-2014, 04:11 PM
If you have to ask, get the Lee

BF

bobthenailer
02-08-2014, 06:34 PM
The dillons retain there value a lee does not ! ITS only money! spend the extra $ and buy the dillon 550 you will not be sorry in the long run, if you cant afford everything at once buy the 550 with what you need to load your most shot calibers and in time buy the others.

jmort
02-08-2014, 06:39 PM
"The dillons (sic) retain there (sic) value a lee (sic) does not !"

Most all reloading equipment retains its value, including Lee Precision. I think the Lee Precision progressives will take the biggest hit, but are never worthless.

timtonya
02-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Gotta vote 550 too. Have one love it. I had a Lee loadmaster boat anchor and don't miss it.

jmorris
02-08-2014, 07:26 PM
So all my reloading has been on a Lee single stage but I am thinking its time to get something that loads a bit faster.

What is a "bit". I have all of the Dillons and they all have their place but the LCT is likely the best reloading value that money can buy.

You can load a bunch of ammo in little time on Dillons (my personal record is 100 rounds in 2.5 min) but nothing swaps faster than a turret.

Greg B.
02-08-2014, 07:41 PM
I was where you are at in the 1980s and bought a 550b to go with my RCBS Rockchucker. The Dillon has never had anything break on it. You have to adjust and clean it once in awhile but that is about it. Having said that I recently purchased a 650 and will get the case feeder and maybe a bullet feeder if somebody makes one that will reliably handle lubed cast bullets. The 550 will be set up for other calibers. I don't need it but wanted to try an automatic advance and some of the other bells and whistles. The Hornady LNL is probably just as good but I am familiar with Dillon. Good luck.

VHoward
02-08-2014, 08:17 PM
I was where you are at in the 1980s and bought a 550b to go with my RCBS Rockchucker. The Dillon has never had anything break on it. You have to adjust and clean it once in awhile but that is about it. Having said that I recently purchased a 650 and will get the case feeder and maybe a bullet feeder if somebody makes one that will reliably handle lubed cast bullets. The 550 will be set up for other calibers. I don't need it but wanted to try an automatic advance and some of the other bells and whistles. The Hornady LNL is probably just as good but I am familiar with Dillon. Good luck.
http://www.gsiinternational.com/Bullet-Feeders_8_4233.html
These people claim their bullet feeders will handle cast bullets. I haven't tried yet, but I am planning to. They have some sort of powder you dust your bullets with that is supposed to eliminate the stickyness.
Also, do get the collator for your case feeder. It is worth it.

bhn22
02-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Dillon. This is your classic Porsche vs. Yugo debate.

David2011
02-08-2014, 09:01 PM
What bnh22 said. I've had my Dillon 550 since 1991 and the 650 since 2006. I bought the 650 because I did need thousands of rounds for pistol matches and practice. Far, far too much is made of the 550 requiring the flick of your thumb to advance it. I don't feel like it affects the speed much. It's EASY to load 400/hour with the 550. That's a round every 9 seconds. I can load 300 rounds of .40 S&W in 20 minutes on the 650. The real time saver is the case feeder; not the autoindexing. The slowest part of loading with the 550 is putting the case in the press. There are 5 presses in my reloading room. The ones used the most are the RCII, 550 and 650. The 650 only loads .40 and .223 at this time. My hunting rounds are all still loaded on the RCII. The Dillon powder measure is amazingly accurate with stick powders like Varget and H4895. I find it far more consistent than the RCBS UniFlow with stick powders.

David

mummer1973
02-08-2014, 10:37 PM
I agree with all the pro Dillon comments above. i got into reloading and started out with a Dillon 550b yes you will spend the money but they have a no BS
WARRANTY!!!!! And i have called them for parts and they have sent them no questions asked. I reload 4 different calibers. One thing i am going to say if no one said it.
is you have to really pay attention on a progressive machine. you can easily make a mistake. EXAMPLE: one time i forgot to change the primer tube from large to small and the primers were flipping. Lets say that was a lesson learned. but other than that these machines are great.

WILDEBILL308
02-09-2014, 12:12 AM
I have a Dillon 550 B with the removable tool head. I think I have the first one shipped. I don’t think you can go wrong with this press. Yes it is a manual indexing press and some don’t like that. I happen to like that feature after loading on several brands that had auto index. Well back to the question of using a progressive for rifle. For cases that I want to measure the powder charge I basically use the press like a single stage and measure each charge on my Pact scale using my Pact powder dispenser when doing load development. I also do this when loading several of the big bores like the .375 .458 LOT. Give me a 20 round head start and I can load .458 lot faster than you can shoot it up.
I will put my 308 and 223 match ammo loaded on the Dillon against any ones. I have found the Dillon powder measure to be extremely consistent with ball powders.
I have 4 SDB preses for pistol 38 spl, 9mm, 45ACP and 44 mag. I like the pistol dies for the 550 as they have a snap action that keeps primers from sticking to the decaping pin
Something you might think about I just bought a SDB press from Alvarez Kelly. I would say the condition was as new. I would ask him about a 550B. Keep in mind if you have a problem Dillon will still stand behind it 100%
Bill

LUBEDUDE
02-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Dillon. This is your classic Porsche vs. Yugo debate.

Agree, anything else added is unnecessary.

omgb
02-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I have 2 Hornady LNL, one with the case feeder. I also have a Dillon 550, a rockchucker and a T7 from Redding. I had a Lee classic turret but dumped it because it required constant fiddling. The LNLs are great, especially when loading cast bullets because you get the 5th station. However, you have to learn how to use them and you have to develop a constant rhythm. The auto advance is fast but.... if screw up and fail to seat a primer you will be pulling that press apart and blowing out the powder flakes. The Dillon is a good machine. Fairly laid back learning curve because you control the advance or retreat if needed. Can't retreat with a LNL. Both machines are top drawer engineering and both companies have an excellent warranty program so any dickering there is really moot. For BPCR I use the T7. It's just far more useful with tall straight cases and multiple loading steps for BP. Tall cases are the nemesis for all auto advance machines . They love to cant or tip over while traveling the circuit. For 38SP, 32-20 and .357 I use the LNL. Likewise for .223 I use the LNL. The case feeder is a mixed blessing. Properly adjusted and clean it saves time. Let it get out of sorts and or dirty and it's one frustrating ***. It loves pistol cases and hates 30-06 sized cases. So, you decide how much you need to reload and what caliber. Then you'll know what machine to buy.

TMenezes
02-09-2014, 07:11 PM
I have a Dillon 550 B with the removable tool head. I think I have the first one shipped. I don’t think you can go wrong with this press. Yes it is a manual indexing press and some don’t like that. I happen to like that feature after loading on several brands that had auto index. Well back to the question of using a progressive for rifle. For cases that I want to measure the powder charge I basically use the press like a single stage and measure each charge on my Pact scale using my Pact powder dispenser when doing load development. I also do this when loading several of the big bores like the .375 .458 LOT. Give me a 20 round head start and I can load .458 lot faster than you can shoot it up.
I will put my 308 and 223 match ammo loaded on the Dillon against any ones. I have found the Dillon powder measure to be extremely consistent with ball powders.
I have 4 SDB preses for pistol 38 spl, 9mm, 45ACP and 44 mag. I like the pistol dies for the 550 as they have a snap action that keeps primers from sticking to the decaping pin
Something you might think about I just bought a SDB press from Alvarez Kelly. I would say the condition was as new. I would ask him about a 550B. Keep in mind if you have a problem Dillon will still stand behind it 100%
Bill

You have 4 Square Deal B presses? You know I had considered getting one of those for my pistol reloading (which is the bulk of my reloading) and continue using my single stage for my rifles.

TMenezes
02-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I would be happy to help but want to give you the correct answer so need more information.

I makes a big difference what you are trying to do. How many calibers do you reload for?
Are you just wanting to spend more time behind a trigger and less behind the press handle? Have you started competing in 3 gun? or have your kids come of age to start shooting? What are the circumstances that are driving you to want to upgrade?

Well when I started reloading it was for the one caliber, the 458 SOCOM. I found out I love reloading in general, and big bores in particular. Before I was shooting whatever was cheap, 22LR, 9mm, and 223. Now I load 45 Colt, 44 Mag/Special, 45acp, 38 Special, 45-70, 30-30, and of course the 458 Socom. My friends and coworkers always enjoyed shooting with me before, but now that ammo is expensive they tend to "help" me shoot up all my reloads lol.

So now you have a better idea why I am out growing a single stage. Plus my firstborn son came two months ago, so I don't have time to sit in my reloading room for hours on end anymore. Also the financial situation has changed a bit too as the wife isn't working anymore so she can stay home with my son. So the price difference between the presses and parts is a big factor.

308w
02-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Blue Blue Blue oh so true, Blue Blue Blue it will never fail you!!!!!

WILDEBILL308
02-09-2014, 08:18 PM
You have 4 Square Deal B presses? You know I had considered getting one of those for my pistol reloading (which is the bulk of my reloading) and continue using my single stage for my rifles.

Yes I have 4 of the Square Deal’s I am not shure how I managed that. I had one later bought another one in an estate sale then bought one from an individual at a gun show. And the last one I had a complete caliber conversion for 9mm and saw the add by Alvarez Kelly hear on the forums for a bare press. The price was right and what the heck.
I think the biggest advantage with a progressive is the speed. It will save you time. With a single station press it takes at least 4 operations before you get loaded ammo. 100 rounds = 400 strokes of the handle to get a loaded round. SDB 4 strokes of the handle a loaded round drops in the bin and every stroke after that. I think you will be happy with a SDB
Bill

Alvarez Kelly
02-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Wow. To load all those calibers on a 550, you'll need shellplates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and C. You'll also need brass buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7. And you'll need LOTS of funnels. The nice thing is, you don't need them all at once. Choose you highest volume calibers first...

TMenezes
02-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Wow. To load all those calibers on a 550, you'll need shellplates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and C. You'll also need brass buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7. And you'll need LOTS of funnels. The nice thing is, you don't need them all at once. Choose you highest volume calibers first...

Yea I would start off with 45 Colt, 44mag/special, and 38 Special. Those represent 90% of my shooting. How much would it be for 555B and necessary parts for those?

I really don't need to bother with setting up the rifle calibers on a progressive. That's why I thought about the Sqare Deal B. Only thing about the SDB is I am told its more difficult to change calibers and having to buy the special dies it requires.

WILDEBILL308
02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
That is true. I think you should look at the 550B. You can use your current dies and replace them with the Dillon pistil dies when you can. I would by one set of Dillon dies to try that way you will understand the difference. You might think 45 ACP, as the shell plate is the same as 30-06 I think the only other thing would be a powder funnel # B. You can load any other .30 cal with the same size head with this setup .308 ect. The extra tool heads are nice but you could get started with one and add more as your beget allows.
Bill

retread
02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Sold my Lee progressive and got a Dillon 550. That was really a good move! You get what you pay for.

Artful
02-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Well when I started reloading it was for the one caliber, the 458 SOCOM. I found out I love reloading in general, and big bores in particular. Before I was shooting whatever was cheap, 22LR, 9mm, and 223. Now I load 45 Colt, 44 Mag/Special, 45acp, 38 Special, 45-70, 30-30, and of course the 458 Socom. My friends and coworkers always enjoyed shooting with me before, but now that ammo is expensive they tend to "help" me shoot up all my reloads lol.

So now you have a better idea why I am out growing a single stage. Plus my firstborn son came two months ago, so I don't have time to sit in my reloading room for hours on end anymore. Also the financial situation has changed a bit too as the wife isn't working anymore so she can stay home with my son. So the price difference between the presses and parts is a big factor. ...

Yea I would start off with 45 Colt, 44mag/special, and 38 Special. Those represent 90% of my shooting. How much would it be for 555B and necessary parts for those?

I really don't need to bother with setting up the rifle calibers on a progressive. That's why I thought about the Sqare Deal B. Only thing about the SDB is I am told its more difficult to change calibers and having to buy the special dies it requires.

I'm going to say bite the boolit :bigsmyl2: and spend the money for the Dillon 550B from what you have said.

Alvarez Kelly
02-09-2014, 11:06 PM

Visit the BrianEnos website. He is a Dillon direct dealer. You can fill your cart, price things as you go, and get free shipping if you decide to buy. There is no commonality between 45 Colt, 44 Mag, and 38 Special conversion kits, so you would need all three. He will treat you right.

Artful
02-09-2014, 11:27 PM
http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

Petrol & Powder
02-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Dillon !

I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on my 550B and it just works. Dillon is a great company to deal with. Their equipment seldom breaks but if you do have a problem they are top notch. I keep a single stage press mounted on the bench for small jobs but the Dillon gets the bulk of the work. The 550B is worth every penny.

dudel
02-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Not entirely fair to compare the two; but I've had both, only the Dillon 550b is still with me. For me, the Lee turret was slower than my rockchucker. Wouldn't index properly with my powder dump. Little nylon square bit in the indexer would strip. Too much fiddling; not enough reloading. Went for the 550b, haven't looked back, not a moment of regret (well maybe a bit for not going to to the 550b directly).

For me the Lee Turret was a piece of carp (and I have plenty of other Lee stuff). Lee, like RCBS, should have stuck with single stage presses. They both understand those very well. If you like your Lee Turret, you'll be amazed by a real progressive.

dudel
02-10-2014, 07:27 AM
I agree with most of your post. I pull two pins and remove powder return rod on the 550 to go from 45acp, 30-06, 358 Winchester etc. by swapping heads. If I need to swap shellplates, two Allen headed screws, primer system is pretty easy too.

Really painless.

Take care

r1kk1
+1. Even quicker you don't need to change out the primer subsystem. I prefer the older Dillon dumps with the return springs, no rod to disconnect. As r1kki said, pull two pins, pull the toolbar, swap the shell plate, replace the toolhead and pins and off you go. If you don't have a dedicated powder dump, then reattach a powder dump and done.

jmorris
02-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Well when I started reloading it was for the one caliber, the 458 SOCOM.

I had to bore out the Dillon powder die so a 458 socom case would fit inside.

MrWolf
02-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Dillon and I like the manual index. Helps me keep an eye and feel on everything.

Mohillbilly
02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Dillon and Lee are both your friends ! I have 2 550s , so I don't have to change for primer sizes . I load for a lot of strange cartridges and save $$ I do lots of standards too. I use all brands of dies but I do like the Lee dies because they are economical , and on non critical loads ( think 38s , 45 ACP ,44s ) because I use the cheaper powder measures of Lees . I leave powder dies , measures , ect. on the head ready to go . I wait until I am down to my last few boxes and do them all , Batch work . I rarely do "hot loads" I just grab a bigger gun . I won't make a 38 spec load just for a 357 black hawk that could get in my alloy Colt cobras . Standard loads and lots of them . I use Lees hand press for development loads at the range , and the big cast classic at home ...

omgb
02-10-2014, 07:53 PM
So, which do you prefer, blonds, brunets or redheads? Seriously, between LNL and Dillon and maybe even the RCBS progressives there's simply not a lot of difference. It's whichever tickles your fancy. Now the Lee press, that's in a different category. It works, meaning it will load good ammo but it's not a consistent performer. I dumped mine within a year simply because it jammed, failed to advance and generally fell out of sync every time I went to use it. It cost 2/3 less than the price of the lowest priced Dillon or Hornady and it behaved like it too. For what it's worth, the Dillon 550B is going to be much easier to learn and a whole lot simpler to dial in than either the LNL or the RCBS machine. It won't be as fast once the LNL is mastered and the powder measure won't be as easily adjusted but those are minor differences. BTW, don't be duped into thinking the Hornady Lock N Load die mounts are going to make life simple...they won't. They are a PITA to store as they won't fit in the original die box as long as they are installed on the die. I store them on a wooden die caddy but I'd rather be storing them in their boxes.

If you do go LNL, the Dillon low primer warning device is easily modified to work in the LNL and the Dillon low powder hopper monitor is also easy to modify. The Hornady powder cop die is the cat's meow and your really should have one if you go progressive.

R Talley

skeettx
02-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Dillon
Have two 1050s and they are SWEET!!

jmorris
02-11-2014, 12:56 AM
I like my 1050's too but he was asking about the 550 and Lee turret. A pair of 1050's is like buying 32 Lee turret presses.

Daddyfixit
02-11-2014, 04:08 AM
I like my 1050's too but he was asking about the 550 and Lee turret. A pair of 1050's is like buying 32 Lee turret presses.
32!! I'd need a bigger bench!:roll:
Used a Dillon 550B for decades, gets my vote!

UNIQUEDOT
02-11-2014, 08:55 AM
If you load more boolits than bullets you should probably consider the LNL or the 650 so as to have a station for the M die. Hand indexing is sometimes appealing to me though.

btroj
02-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Ever notice everyone wants to compare other presses to a Dillon? What does that tell you?

jmorris
02-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by jmorris

32!! I'd need a bigger bench!
Used a Dillon 550B for decades, gets my vote!

Ok, or like 8 550's

jmort
02-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Dillon is the the one for comparison in progressive presses. Since they don't make any other type of press, the comparison stops there.

WILDEBILL308
02-11-2014, 11:33 AM
I can't aford 1 1050 let alone 2 they eat to much.
Bill

HATCH
02-11-2014, 12:13 PM
I can't aford 1 1050 let alone 2 they eat to much.
Bill
you just don't have to feed them so much.
Basically just have to load one hr a month per caliber.. LOL

TMenezes
02-11-2014, 12:23 PM
I had to bore out the Dillon powder die so a 458 socom case would fit inside.

Yes I was reading some posts over on the 458 Socom forums that they had to do some engineering on their Dillons to load this caliber. I think Dillon is now making the correct parts but its not a big deal to me as my 458 is not a high volume shooter lol.

Bad Water Bill
02-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Dillon is the the one for comparison in progressive presses. Since they don't make any other type of press, the comparison stops there.

Once you own a Roles Royce would you ever think of comparing it to a Yugo?

UNIQUEDOT
02-11-2014, 04:45 PM
The RCBS would be the rolls royce would it not? it is afterall the only one (progressive) still being made of cast iron is it not?

omgb
02-11-2014, 04:55 PM
OK, all silliness aside. There is a huge difference between the green the red and the blue machines that so far, only one responder has mentioned and then only in passing. If you shoot J bullets any of these machines will do the trick. It's really up to your individual preference. But, if you shoot cast then the winner hands down is Hornady. It is the only 5 station press of the bunch thus allowing an expander die. When I load cast on the LNL I mount a decapper/sizer die, a powder cop die, an expander die, a seater die and finally a crimper die. Admittedly that set up is not absolutely required but if it is something I want, only the Hornady machine will accommodate it.

Bad Water Bill
02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Now you tell me.

All the time I have been using my HERTERS for loading J words.

Never have had a problem loading PB in the many caliber of handgun and rifles that consume my stash of PB.

Now that old HERTERS might finally get RETIRED.

WILDEBILL308
02-11-2014, 06:11 PM
The Ops question at the start of this thread was “I need a new press. Dillon 550B or Lee Turret”. It was not about the L&L or the 650, wich by the way has 5 holes in the tool head. I have loaded pistol and straight walled rifel cases on the 550B and haven’t had a problem. You can load bottle neck cases that don’t normaley have a neck expander buy using the 3ed hole for your expander. If you don’t want to seat and crimp in one operation you can seat in 4 and set up a diferant tool head with a taper crimp die ( pull the tool head and replace with one holding the crimp die) and run the roundes through agin to crimp them.
Bill

WILDEBILL308
02-11-2014, 06:17 PM
The RCBS would be the rolls royce would it not? it is afterall the only one (progressive) still being made of cast iron is it not?

What does that have to do with anything? What a pres is made from is not as important as its desine and how it is made. They were made out of cast iron because it was cheap.
Bill

gefiltephish
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
When deciding between the 550 and the LNL, I went with the LNL because it has 5 holes. My preferred setup is: #1 Size/decap, #2 M-die, #3 Powder, #4 Seat, #5 Crimp. I also have the LCT which I use for working up loads and running small batches (like 2 or 3 mags worth). I have a rockchucker right along side the LCT for the 5th hole, which I use for the crimp die. I use it without indexing for workups and with indexing for short runs. I have no problem with either method. If Lee ever comes out with a 5 hole LCT I'd have one in a heartbeat.

I've never used a Dillon, but if the op has no problem with a 4 hole press, I'd think he might be happiest in the long run with it over the turret if there's potential to be doing higher volumes.

Earlier someone mentioned about not being able to backup the LNL's shell plate. Not true, I do it all the time. Like the LCT, you just have to raise the ram high enough. Maybe with tall rifle cases it won't work, I dunno.

Ubet
02-11-2014, 08:30 PM
I like my Dillon 550B for pistol and some rifle calibers, such as .223. I use the Lee Cast Classic Press for other calibers which I don't use as many rounds.

dragon813gt
02-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Ever notice everyone wants to compare other presses to a Dillon? What does that tell you?

It could tell you quite a few things. It could tell you they make an outstanding product, which they do. It could tell you they have a highly effective marketing department. It could tell you that they were the first on the block so they are the most recognizable name. It could tell you that they are the status symbol of the reloading world just like a Mercedes Benz is in the automotive world. It could tell you they have a lot of people that spent a lot of money on it and don't want to admit they made a mistake so they tell everyone how great it is.

I'm not knocking Dillon in anyway so don't take it that way. And this is not a Porsche vs Yugo debate because its not about a 1050 vs Load Master. It's about two drastically machines and plenty of people have pointed out what to consider before buying. If the 550B was a five station press I would buy one immediately. But I don't need anymore volume than what my LCT can produce. And there is one dollar figure that stands out w/ the LCT, $11. That's what a turret costs. A caliber change is $11. I load 16 different cartridges so this a big number for me. I ordered a cartridge inspector and it should be here soon because I want to know what the runout is w/ the LCT.

I price out Dillon equipment at least once a month. And I don't have any problems spending money in tooling. It's just more money than I want to spend based on my needs. And this is what everyone should consider when purchasing anything.

Alvarez Kelly
02-11-2014, 09:49 PM
It could tell you that they were the first on the block so they are the most recognizable name.

Not even close to the first.

If you need lots of ammo fast, any Dillon will work great.

I own a single stage Lee. It works. I have used a Lee progressive at a friends. No thanks.

country gent
02-11-2014, 10:13 PM
While everyone compares thier progressives to a dillon press ever hear dillion say were just as good as ******. Stop and think there may be a reason?

dragon813gt
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
I know they weren't the first. It was a comparison to other markets where the originators make a name and it becomes synonymous w/ the market.

I don't see any manufacturer comparing their product to another brand. This just gives the competition free advertising. There is no doubt that Dillon makes a fine tool. But there is also no doubt that not everyone needs one.

Love Life
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
That is true. I think you should look at the 550B. You can use your current dies and replace them with the Dillon pistil dies when you can. I would by one set of Dillon dies to try that way you will understand the difference. You might think 45 ACP, as the shell plate is the same as 30-06 I think the only other thing would be a powder funnel # B. You can load any other .30 cal with the same size head with this setup .308 ect. The extra tool heads are nice but you could get started with one and add more as your beget allows.
Bill

I used one tool head on my Dillon to load MANY calibers for years until I came into a sweet deal on extra tool heads.

Many will say this defeats the purpose of the press, but lock rings are awesome....

jmorris
02-11-2014, 11:36 PM

No, the 1050 is cast iron, the only machines that top it are made by Camdex and Ammoload.

btroj
02-12-2014, 12:29 AM
I used one tool head on my Dillon to load MANY calibers for years until I came into a sweet deal on extra tool heads.

Many will say this defeats the purpose of the press, but lock rings are awesome....

Don't tell anyone but I only have one powder measure for like 6 toolheads........

Bad Water Bill
02-12-2014, 12:51 AM
You need one of those neat oversized plastic knobs for easy adjustment of the powder charge.

Several years ago they were sold out of a truly great B P gun shop in Brookfield IL called Friendship trade co (708) 485-4080.

Jerry passed away 2 years ago and his wife was selling everything out.

But that could be a long post by itself just telling about him and his lifetime love of building and working with muzzle loaders.

r1kk1
02-12-2014, 01:04 AM
I don't see any manufacturer comparing their product to another brand. This just gives the competition free advertising. There is no doubt that Dillon makes a fine tool. But there is also no doubt that not everyone needs one.

Read Lee's book? I think Herters could top him. People buy what they want. Price DOES seem to matter.

I have made some bad purchases and sadly they weren't blue. We have all made some crappy purchases that didn't work as advertised.

Not picking on you dragon. Just a couple of statements made but agree with a lot of what you said.

It's not my place to tell someone what to buy. I can tell them my experiences with a given product. That's all.

Here's something to think about:

LCT can auto index. What other production turret can do this?

The 550 is a 4 station manual index press, I don't think there is anything currently made but the closest thing to it would be the 2000 with manual index but it's a 5 station press so I haven't seen any other current production machines like it.

I love these comparisons. What works for one person may work for another. If I was looking for a turret press, personally I would look to Redding. I have a 550 and don't need a turret. Two of my single stages have LNL bushings - Ultramag and the Summit. The COAX doesn't need a quick change system as it's built in. But this is my stuff and not everyone's cup of tea.

I don't remember right off how many plates for my 550 has but I have quite a few more toolheads than plates ranging from .17 caliber to .50.

If you stop and think about it, each of the two presses mentioned are in a league of their own. For me, Lee came late to the game as well as Hornady and RCBS with their current offerings. At over a 100k of rounds since the mid 80s, I like blue.

Take care

r1kk1

02-12-2014, 03:02 AM
Given the original question I think the best advice is to be found in post #10

dragon813gt
02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Read Lee's book? I think Herters could top him. People buy what they want. Price DOES seem to matter.

I have made some bad purchases and sadly they weren't blue. We have all made some crappy purchases that didn't work as advertised.

Not picking on you dragon. Just a couple of statements made but agree with a lot of what you said.

It's not my place to tell someone what to buy. I can tell them my experiences with a given product. That's all.

I've read his book. I though he just touted his tools as the best on the market w/out mentioning other brands by name. Even if he did, it's his book and I don't expect him to talk up any product but his own.

I was just pointing out that a Dillon is not for everyone. I wish they would make a five station press like the 550B. This would be the ultimate press for my needs since I would be able to perform every operation on one press. And I would gladly pony up the cash for multiple tool heads w/ out blinking an eye.

Buy the press that meets your needs and is w/in your budget. I'm sure we'd all a love a shop full of automated 1050s. Each set up for one particular load so all you have to do is start it up and keep the feeders full :)

UNIQUEDOT
02-12-2014, 09:39 AM
No, the 1050 is cast iron, the only machines that top it are made by Camdex and Ammoload.

That one is too superior in design/materials/cost that it doesn't fit in the same category as hobby loaders does it? I know some small scale ammunition factories automate them and use them in production. Seeing them in use it looks to me like a sledge hammer wouldn't stop one!

UNIQUEDOT
02-12-2014, 09:43 AM
I've read his book. I though he just touted his tools as the best on the market w/out mentioning other brands by name.

You must not have read the first edition. Richard plainly stated that a pro 1000 press was far superior to a Dillon rl550b! I'm not kidding either. They removed that from the later editions, but I also know that he touted the star lube sizer as the best machine of it's type and he wasn't off the mark on that one.

50/50
02-12-2014, 10:51 AM
As long as you've learned the basics of reloading on a single stage (like I did) for pistol ammo....step up to a Dillon. No question about it. I would never suggest a progressive machine to a beginner because personally, I feel one should walk before he runs. That's the best way to learn reloading. I still have as most reloader's do, my single stage press. I would never get rid of it. Besides....got to have it for my rifle cartridges! I can slow down, and tweek my loads better when quantity is not a factor.

That being said...I like the 550B. I much prefer the manual index. No big deal...a flip of the thumb and it rotates! I can stop and make any adjustments if needed without messing with the other stations. It's safer and less confusing. Shell plates and everything else is cheaper than a 650 too. But that's just my opinion. Everyone has different needs. But I'll tell you one thing...I would never go back to a single stage press for pistol rounds. A man could die of old age reloading all that ammo.

Chris C
02-12-2014, 11:01 PM
So all my reloading has been on a Lee single stage but I am thinking its time to get something that loads a bit faster. I have read up on all the reviews I could find and am now divided. I like the cheap price and ease of caliber changes on the Lee Turret, but I also like the build quality of the Dillon 550B. Every time I think I've decided to spend a ton of money on the Dillon and all the parts it needs to load all my different calibers. I get to thinking how inexpensive the Lee is and how easy it is to change turrets. Then when I start preparing my order for a Lee, I get to thinking about the rock solid Dillon!

Please help!

I'm new to reloading. Everyone tried to talk me out of a progressive reloader as my first press, but I bought the 550B and had never looked back. People kept telling me it was too complicated for a newbie to operate. Heck, if you can chew gum and walk at the same time, a 550B is simple to operate. You'll never be sorry if you buy a Dillon, and their warranty is simply incredible................and in this day and age, it's unbelievable. Go Dillon!

sprinkintime
02-12-2014, 11:50 PM
I have a 450 & a 550B with about ten conversions and they just sit there, I'm so use to using my rock chuckers, but I guess when you are retired there is no rush to knock out 500 rounds, On 45's I use a old C&H inline MK5 progressive, and that's good for a easy 300perhr. So if you are retired what's the rush?

Alvarez Kelly
02-13-2014, 12:16 AM
I have a 450 & a 550B with about ten conversions and they just sit there, I'm so use to using my rock chuckers, but I guess when you are retired there is no rush to knock out 500 rounds, On 45's I use a old C&H inline MK5 progressive, and that's good for a easy 300perhr. So if you are retired what's the rush?

To avoid pain due to carpul tunnel. One pull, one round. Done and done.

M-Tecs
02-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Dillon 550B over the Lee turret hands down. I prefer the 650's but the 550's are great loaders.

Truth be told I hate reloading. I am always looking for faster and more accurate but if I could afforded it I would never reload again. I reload so I can shoot. The novelty wears off at about the 50K mark. For me that was at the age of 15 or 16. That was almost 40 years ago.

Currently these are the loaders I use. The 1050's and 650's see the most use. The Dillon RL 1000 is new to me and is just starting to get rebuilt.

2 Dillon Super 1050’s one for large primer and one for small primer
1 Dillon RL 1000
3 Dillon 650’s one for large primer, one for small primer and one dedicated to 45/70 - yes I do load BP on it.
2 RCBS Big Max A4’s
2 RCBS A2’s - love these
1 RCBS Rock Chucker
1 CH4D Champion O press - love this one also
1 Herter’s Super Model 3
1 Herter U-3 Super
1 Wells C
2 Mec 9000g’s - one 12 gauge and one 20 gauge
2 PW 375's - one for 10 gauge and one for 3 1/2" 12 gauge
1 Mec Jr.

GT1
02-13-2014, 01:39 AM
I would think a bit on how much you really shoot.

The full boat presses are really nice, and if one comp shoots they are a must. But if you are just loading up a 20 box of the calibers you mention every couple weeks it will sit there looking pretty most of the time.

I love my xl650 with the works, but I shoot range fodder and my LCT will easily keep up with the 400-800 rounds of .380/9mm/.45 acp/.223 I might shoot in a month. The Dillon is set up for 9mm, and I can load up a case of ammo in a leisurely couple hours in an afternoon. Fun, after the fact, and if my time was really valuable there is no other way to reload.

But that(A 550 with the all the goodies) is a good chunk of cash that would equal a whole bunch of projectiles primers and powder.

1bluehorse
02-13-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm obviously odd man out here...I already have a couple full progressive 5 station presses...(RCBS) and I HAD a LC Turret press that actually saw more action than the other two combined as I wasn't and am not into loading hundreds of rounds of any one caliber at a time (except now I have a 9mm that I'm burning a lot of and loading on one of the "full progressives") here's how I looked at what I think are MY NEEDS/WANTS... sold the LCT with everything I had for it (a lot) and bought a Dillon RL 450 with manual everything from our own Alvarez Kelly...both presses ( the LCT and the Dillon) are 4 station, that's where the similarity ends. Where the turret may auto index the die turret, it still takes four pulls for a complete round...the 450 has the capability to do the exact same thing (and much more) you simply rotate the shellplate with your thumb to the next die....BUT, if you care to, the 450 (or 550) will also drop a round with every pull...the 550 is just a more automated system and to most that's a better setup..but not for me...I WANTED the manual primer feed, the manual powder drop, and manual indexing......it may take a bit more time for caliber changes and such, but I'm not changing it every day....to be fair, I've only just received it from Mr. Kelly and haven't used it, (other than setup and foolin around) but from what I can see it will do everything the LCT will do, plus quite a bit more, and other than the ease of caliber change (I also wanted the "solid" headed 450 base style) it's a better system for WHAT I WANT.....if it isn't........I'll get rid of it.....but I truly don't see than happening.....oh, for the cost difference between what I sold the Lee stuff for and what I have in the 450 is about 150 bucks for all the same calibers....so it's all about what you think will do the best job for you.....by the way, a public thank you to Brian (Alvarez Kelly) I'm really jacked about this setup....:drinks:

wlc
02-13-2014, 04:08 PM
How many rounds do you shoot a week, month, year?? Do you actually need to spend the money on a Dillon for the amount you load and shoot. I went with the Lee cast turret as a Dillon, while arguably "THE BEST", was waaay too much money for my needs. Caliber changes are much less expensive and I can change over a turret and be back to loading in just a minute or two with my turret press. If I shot thousands and thousands of rounds each year then I would think about getting a Dillon, but I am perfectly happy with the Lee classic cast turret. Customer service should play a part in your decision, but I've had a lot of Lee stuff over the years and have never had need to find out what type of CS they have. Maybe I've been fortunate, but all the Lee stuff I own works. Really and truly only you can determine what you actually need. If any way possible try to find folks with both and see if you can come "take a look".

dudel
02-13-2014, 04:44 PM
People ask how much do you shoot now? That's not really a valid question. If you load on a single stage, you might shoot all you can make. If you made more rounds would you shoot more? I'd bet that most people who stepped up to a progressive end up shooting more than than they were before. Further, what you shoot now, may not have anything to do with what you shoot a year from now. If you make the decision on what you shoot now, you're not too prepared should your shooting needs increase.

They also ask what calibers you currently shoot. As if you might not add a new caliber down the road.

Based on those questions I should have gotten an LCT in 9mm. For me it would have been a bad choice. I did have an LCT for a while. Didn't work for me. Ended up with a 550b, and couldn't be happier. Thought of a 650 (sometimes still do), but it passes. Flirted with a Hornady LNL, but they were out of stock while I had the red mist, and it passed as well. FWIW, I had an early Hornady progressive (the Projector). It turned me off on self indexing progressives. Of course, it was early in my reloading career, and many of the issues may have been mine.

I'm not suggesting that everyone go out and get a camdex; but looking at your current needs is a bit short sighted IMHO.

kaskillo
02-17-2014, 11:26 PM
I don't own a 550 but I do own 1050 and 650. I suggest go with Dillon.