PDA

View Full Version : New Pedersoli Roller 45-70

M71
02-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Thought I'd share my new to me Pedersoli Rolling Block. The rifle was unfired until I got it. The barrel code indicates the year of manufacture at 1999. Now day's I think they call it a "Super Match". The barrel is 34", half round and the muzzle measures right at 1". The blued finish is very high gloss and no provision for a rear sight. The shotgun butt was a requirement for me after owning a long barreled Shiloh with a traditional military butt...not again.
I took her out a couple of weeks ago before the polar freeze and set up my bench to fire form some brass. The 17 shots produced a very ragged hole a bit smaller than a 50 cent piece, not too bad for the trial run at 100 yards. I was shooting the Postel 530's over 68 grains of Goex FFG. I'm happy with my find and really do anticipate the warmer weather ahead for some fine tuning.

terryt
02-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Hi M71:

A real great Gun. Do ENJOY.

Terryt

35 shooter
02-08-2014, 01:17 AM
M71 that is one gorgeous rifle from what i could see. Sounds like a shooter too! Doesn't get any better than that.

giz189
02-08-2014, 03:06 AM
Nice rifle. What sights are you using? All mine has is the buckhorn rear and silver front.

gandydancer
02-08-2014, 03:41 AM
I just got one RB myself used but not used in 40/65 34"BBL both barrel sights & Tang. Tang is missing eye piece & screw need to send it off for repairs until i save up for a better set. full octagon barrel. shot it with factory ammo. looking forward to reloading some black & PP ammo for it. when its warmer. I'm a fair weather shooter. lol good luck with yours. would have liked it in 45/70 or 38/55 as I have a sharps in 40/65 but the price was right.

M71
02-08-2014, 03:50 AM
Nice rifle. What sights are you using? All mine has is the buckhorn rear and silver front.

It's Pedersoli Long Range "Soule", more sight than I need. It has a little over 27 minutes of windage left and 27 minutes right. The staff has 400 MOA (points) of elevation, though some are lost below the line of sight. A friend had this one as an extra and he sold it to me for $140.00 (less than half of retail at Cabela's), he uses the mid-range model with good results. A "Hadley" eye cup would be a nice addition. If I knew anything about "thread count" I would order one from Lee Shaver, unfortunately I don't. I should just mail him this one and have him match the threads. Lee is a great guy and manufactures high quality sights, my budget only had room for the Pedersoli. It should be adequate for my purposes.

JSnover
02-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Beautiful. I have a Lone Star roller in 45-70 with MVA sights. If you shoot beyond 200 you will need that long range staff. You are right: get a Hadley cup for it. Enjoy!

country gent
02-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Call Lee Shaver, Baco or MVA all can tell you what Hadley eye cup you need over the phone for the pendersoli Soule rear sight. They have done enough with them they know what threads and length you need.

M71
02-08-2014, 11:44 AM
The shooting range is snowed in so at least I can take some more photographs. Thanks to all for your positive comments.

montana_charlie
02-08-2014, 02:42 PM
A "Hadley" eye cup would be a nice addition. If I knew anything about "thread count" I would order one from Lee Shaver, unfortunately I don't.
Just buy a Pedersoli Hadley-type eyecup.
It works just fine, and won't cost you any more than the others ... perhaps a bit less.

Among other suppliers, Track Of The Wolf carries it.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/2/RS-DP-HADLEY

If you ever sell your Pedersoli sight you can let it go with the eyecup you have now.
Then, you can have the Pedersoli Hadley shortened and recut for a 12-40 thread.
That thread is available from most sight makers, and is standard with some of them.

Shaver did the eyecup modification for me when I asked if he could do it from this drawing.
You cut the shaft at Point X and thread Section B.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/montana_charlie/Eyepiece.jpg

CM

Don McDowell
02-08-2014, 07:59 PM
There are a number of bpcr shoots not to great of distance from you, that rifle should serve you well.

rbertalotto
02-08-2014, 08:32 PM
I got one of those! And it is one of the most accurate rifles I own...Pedersoli really knows how to make a barrel. There is a video on YouTube showing how they make cut rifled barrels for these guns. Shoot it with Black Powder like a real man! This smokeless stuff is just a fad!

http://images60.fotki.com/v661/photos/2/36012/10262912/DSC_4356-vi.jpg
http://images116.fotki.com/v108/photos/2/36012/10262912/photo-vi.jpg

And with its period correct "glass"...
http://images56.fotki.com/v371/photos/2/36012/10262912/DSC_3924-vi.jpg

Kraschenbirn
02-09-2014, 11:28 AM
My Pedersoli RB is very similar to yours but with a 30" half-octagon barrel and Lee Shaver sights. Gun is superbly accurate...if I do my part...and, off cross-sticks with iron sights, will print 5-shot groups under 2 m.o.a. all day. I've got the feeling that, once the weather breaks in your neck of the woods, you're gonna really love that rifle.

Bill

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-09-2014, 01:00 PM
to the OP,
That is one very purdy smoke pole you got there.
Our local Cabelas had one the other day, I got to play with it some.
Now my new Buffalo Classic seems like a junk yard find :)

M71
02-09-2014, 04:31 PM
to the OP,That is one very purdy smoke pole you got there.
Our local Cabelas had one the other day, I got to play with it some.
Now my new Buffalo Classic seems like a junk yard find :)

Jim, I traded for the roller a Cabela's, I forked over $200 and an old Damascus Parker double that I had previously purchased from them for $600. So I don't feel totally bent over on the deal. There's nothing inferior with your "Buffalo Classic". My roller is almost 13 lbs. I prefer the heaver gun so I can last longer without feeling beat up. I sold a Pedersoli Sharps with a 30" tapered barrel because it was too light. So far I have been able to shoot this one without any cumulative effects of recoil at all. It's not that I'm particularly recoil sensitive, my primary game gun is a ported 375 H&H. I'm a better shot with a heavy gun, less fatigue and it's much easier to hold steady.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
M71,
I got the B/C because there is no way one of those "fancy" rifles is in the cards for me right now.
Someday,... someday :)