PDA

View Full Version : What's the break in time on a new 9mm?

tazman
02-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I have owned my Taurus pt92 9mm for about 3 months and have put maybe 800 rounds through it in that time. When I began shooting it, the grouping was low left by several inches at 25ft.
The point of impact keeps changing closer to point of aim and the groups are getting tighter. Tonight the group was just left of point of aim and perfect height.
I don't really have a problem with things improving but am wondering if this trend will continue and for how long?
I have never owned a new auto before.
Is this just the result of a breaking in period?

During this same period my revolver has not moved its impact point at all and has been consistently accurate.

williamwaco
02-07-2014, 10:31 PM
I have owned my Taurus pt92 9mm for about 3 months and have put maybe 800 rounds through it in that time. When I began shooting it, the grouping was low left by several inches at 25ft.
The point of impact keeps changing closer to point of aim and the groups are getting tighter. Tonight thr group was just left of point of aim and perfect height.
I don't really have a problem with things improving but am wondering if this trend will continue and for how long?
I have never owned a new auto before.
Is this just the result of a breaking in period?

During this same period my revolver has not moved its impact point at all and has been consistently accurate.

This is caused by the wear on the slide and barrel alignment surfaces wearing in.

How long it takes is unknown. Too many variables.

Piedmont
02-08-2014, 12:37 AM
I could be wrong, and I am wrong if you are firing from a rest, but what I think is happening is you are getting used to the gun. When I flinch I tend to throw them low and left with a pistol, so I think you aren't flinching anymore, or only minimally, and the gun is shooting where it was sighted to shoot. Maybe you were flinching with the auto and not the revolver because it was foreign to you and you were a bit apprehensive?

tazman
02-08-2014, 12:48 AM
I could be wrong, and I am wrong if you are firing from a rest, but what I think is happening is you are getting used to the gun. When I flinch I tend to throw them low and left with a pistol, so I think you aren't flinching anymore, or only minimally, and the gun is shooting where it was sighted to shoot. Maybe you were flinching with the auto and not the revolver because it was foreign to you and you were a bit apprehensive?

I was wondering if that might be the case, however I was shooting from a rest. The center of the group is the same with or without a rest but the group is larger without the rest of course.
Over the last 4 weeks the impact group has moved, indicating wearing in. Each week it has moved a bit more. It is possible it is a combination of me getting used to the pistol and wearing in both. I was just hoping for a number of rounds where things stop changing on the pistol. But like williamwaco said"too many variables "
A man at the range tonight told me it may take as many as 2000 round to get it fully broken in. If so, I have some shooting to do.

twc1964
02-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Tazman, i had exactly the same thing hapen to me with a new g-21 in 45 acl. i would have sworn that the sights had shifted . After several outings everything sorted itself out. the main thing for me was the proper grip hold, then that ten ring really got scared. just my experience.

Blammer
02-08-2014, 09:41 AM
I suspect after 800 rnds the gun will shoot where it shoots, I think you are getting better at it. Concentrate on front sight and target and also slowly squeeze the trigger, till it surprises you when it goes bang. I think you just keep getting better and more used to the gun.

A semi auto can feel "wild" in your hand compared to a revolver. It takes some getting used to.

For example: I had a friend who swore his gun was the most inaccurate thing around and it was broke, he said he couldn't get it to group at all.
I was at the range and loaded 4 shots. Standing off hand with his gun, same ammo he used, I put 4 shots touching at 10 yds. To him it proved the gun was good and he needed practice.

If I was thinking I would have shot 4 crazy shots and then offered to buy the piece of junk for $100. :) but that's not me.

TXGunNut
02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
As a rule of thumb I consider a defensive auto broken in and ready for carry after 300 trouble-free rounds. I've never noticed POI change after that point but a careful inspection of the rails and all locking points may be in order. I suspect your new PT92 is mechanically broken in and it seems you're doing your part as well.

tazman
02-08-2014, 01:50 PM
I had another Shooter who is a much better shot than I am fire the pistol 2 weeks ago. He shot a much better group than I did of course but he shot to the same point of impact that I did. This told me how well the pistol could shoot and that I wasn't crazy as far as where the impact point was.
The recent/ continuing shift in impact point bothered me because I hadn't seen that happen before.

9.3X62AL
02-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Lotta good info above. I agree that 300 trouble-free rounds = sufficiently broken-in sideiron. I get comfy with carrying a pistol for SD only after seeing those 300-500 rounds get fired and fed flawlessly. I'm not as critical with a sport or hunting handgun, unless the hunting handgun is being carried as a bear/cougar dissuader. In that case, I want the gun to run like water through a downspout, same criteria as for street carry.

It's good to read that you and that 9mm are getting along so well. I agree that both you and it are "breaking in" together. With that good muscle memory now in place, continue regular practice to keep your edges sharp. No need to buy a Dillon to achieve this goal, unless you really want to! :) 50-100 rounds per month in each sidearm is sufficient for such honing. Fatigue can be counter-productive, so don't over-do the practice regimen. Shooting is supposed to be enjoyed, not endured.

Larry Gibson
02-08-2014, 02:36 PM
"Broken in" has different meanings. The as mentioned 300 round is generally sufficient to ensure 100% reliability. As to POI shift, especially with alloy framed pistols generally is 600 - 1000 rounds (observed over the shooting of 80+ new M9s on a range) and my own experience with several alloy framed handguns (M39s, M59s, etc.) over the years.

You are probably very close to "broken in". Time to drift the rear sight a tudge to the right.

Larry Gibson

tazman
02-08-2014, 02:45 PM
That is just the kind of information and experience I was looking for.
Thank you very much.

9.3X62AL
02-08-2014, 09:48 PM
"Broken in" has different meanings. The as mentioned 300 round is generally sufficient to ensure 100% reliability. As to POI shift, especially with alloy framed pistols generally is 600 - 1000 rounds (observed over the shooting of 80+ new M9s on a range) and my own experience with several alloy framed handguns (M39s, M59s, etc.) over the years.

You are probably very close to "broken in". Time to drift the rear sight a tudge to the right.

Larry Gibson

Regarding this technical term "tudge"......would that be a a metric tudge, or the more commonly-encountered SAE variant?

tazman
02-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Regarding this technical term "tudge"......would that be a a metric tudge, or the more commonly-encountered SAE variant?

Probably a SWAG as opposed to a WAG

.5mv^2
02-08-2014, 11:24 PM
R, have you been running the same bullets and load in your 9mm. Have you been using lead? I assume that you are keeping it clean?