PDA

View Full Version : Albino coyote

DLCTEX
02-07-2014, 09:54 PM
As I was driving to work today I saw a coyote crossing the highway ahead of me and sped up to get a look at him. When I got even with him there were three coyotes in the open wheat field, two were darker and the one in the middle was as white as the snow. I would like to get a close look at him to see if he is truly albino with red eyes and pink skin. I have trapped in the past and have caught many light coated yotes, but this one was far whiter than the lightest of those. It would be a shame to shoot it just to look close, but it would be a really neat fur. He'd better not give me the chance, I have weak moments. And it was in a place where I can hunt.

AlaskanGuy
02-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Better start bringing the 223 with ya with some cast boolits ready.... There should be no hesitation, and the fur is quite valueable, especially this time of the year... Yote's make very nice fur, and good jerky too, if you can get past the wagging tail mental image...lol

AZ-JIM
02-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Would be neat to see
Coyote jerky huh? Got a recipe? I have never tried it but there are several guys on a local hunting forum here in AZ who have, consensus is: Nastiest thing they have ever tried!

az-jim

AlaskanGuy
02-07-2014, 11:41 PM
It is just like any jerky... Use the same recipi that you would use for venison... I thought it was ok.... Just like any other jerky...

AG

472x1B/A
02-08-2014, 08:34 AM
'Albino' ! [Quote] "but it would be a really neat fur." [Quote] 100 percent true, DLCTEX. But more than likely only to your self, IF you were the one to harvest that pelt.

About 12 or 13 years ago I trapped an albino possum. A farely large one at that. I spent 2 hours skinning and scraping it and extra time putting it on the strecher, to make it look right. Heck, I even took one of the wifes good clean white towels to put on the scraping beam so as not to get the fur dirty. Come time to send a shipment of fur up north. Wrote out a note asking for extra care be giving for this one hide. At auction time I go on the NAFA website to follow the proceeds. I'm listening and listening, watching the docket, wham!!! there is my lot #. I'm thinking mega bucks here, mega bucks, mega bucks. !!!!! $ 3.25 !!!! I was ****** to say the least. I could of tanned it and sold it to a bar owner for $100.00. Hope you have luck it capturing your prize DLCTEX.

CastingFool
02-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I have seen pics of black coyotes, but never albinos. I once saw a blonde raccoon go across my backyard, wish I had taken a shot at it. It had no black markings at all.

square butte
02-08-2014, 10:26 AM
We've got a rabies problem here in VT. A few foxes were killed right in town here that tested positive for rabies (also skunks and raccoons). If that were a problem where some others of you live - I would want to take extra precautions in handling harvested varmints.

elk hunter
02-08-2014, 10:48 AM
I've seen two albino coyotes while calling. The first one made a run-by at mach one in and out of tall brush, never had a chance for a shot. The second one was taken at 25 yards or so after a brief hesitation as it just looked odd. My calling partner said, "you shot somebody's dog", I said "look again it's a coyote". I don't remember what I got for the hide as that was in the mid 70's.

greenmntranger
02-08-2014, 10:52 AM
We've got a rabies problem here in VT. A few foxes were killed right in town here that tested positive for rabies (also skunks and raccoons). If that were a problem where some others of you live - I would want to take extra precautions in handling harvested varmints.

Where abouts in VT are you? Im up in northern Chittenden Co. and we haven't had much problem with rabies up north that I've heard of.

C. Latch
02-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I've seen one black one and one white one in my whole life. The white one, I didn't recognize it - balled up napping in a field - until it heard me and bolted. The black one caught a .220 Swift to the chest and rode home with me. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Wolfer
02-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I've called up one coy dog. It was very dark but not quite black. It's toes and cheeks were colored like a blue heeler.
When I first saw it coming I thought it was a dog. But when it looked straight at me I could tell it was a coyote.

crowbuster
02-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Now that is cool. Missed a black one 3 yrs ago. We seem to have a black gene in this area, see them from time to time, just gotta hit the next one. Never seen an albino. Did see a reverse skunk a few yrs ago, all white and a black stripe. Very neat looking, wuld have loved to have him. I wuld have to pass on the yote jerky, skinned to many green belly yotes.

square butte
02-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Windsor county

Prospector Howard
02-08-2014, 12:15 PM
I'll bet it is NASTY! I'll draw a big line at eating dog. That's one of those Chicom things to do. Not me brother.
Would be neat to see
Coyote jerky huh? Got a recipe? I have never tried it but there are several guys on a local hunting forum here in AZ who have, consensus is: Nastiest thing they have ever tried!

az-jim

Wolfer
02-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I few years back I saw a reverse skunk several times. It was always on my way to work in the mornings. I can't carry a gun in the company truck and I never could find it on weekends.
I thought it would make an interesting wall decoration.

DLCTEX
02-08-2014, 12:51 PM
I saw an albino skunk when I was a kid riding with my mother. It was on a country road at night and we stopped and watched it stroll down the road for a while.

wv109323
02-08-2014, 01:45 PM
I saw a white fox several years back. It was white as snow except for some red on the tip of it's tail.

w5pv
02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
In downtown Orange,Texas they have some white squirrels they are not albino.They were brought in by Lutcher Stark for his garden along Adams Bayou.They migrated from there to old district.You probably research this in the archives of the Orange Leader,they at one time ran a pretty good item in the paper about the squirrels.

MaryB
02-09-2014, 02:09 AM
White coyote pelt would make part of a sweet jacket or maybe a vest...

DLCTEX
02-09-2014, 07:23 PM
In the 1970's there were a lot of black fox squirrels in Comanche County, Texas. I hunted them on a relatives ranch there.

EdZ KG6UTS
02-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Would be neat to see..

az-jim

We have two coyote packs denning out on the property and a female bobcat up in the canyon, just like having them there. Somehow they circle but don't collide . The cat gets on the roof when we are not home, scats found, probably to rest up and avoid the coyotes. Tracks show a mom cat and two kits from time to time.

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace Well, ya gotta say that before they rip your guts out...take several with you.

EdZ

Saltner
02-11-2014, 09:57 AM
This is a female albino roe photographed by us.
http://i58.tinypic.com/aynhv6.jpg

DLCTEX
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
That is a really cool picture. I once saw a white bird in a huge flock of migrating blackbirds in a field where I was plowing. It really stood out.

ole 5 hole group
02-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I've seen a couple pure black wolves (grey wolf) in Canada and a couple very light colored coyotes in Nebraska, but never an albino. I once shot one that looked albino from a distance but when we walked up on him he had very light brown fur on the top of his back and lower belly. Forgot what price I got but it was top dollar at the time.

At least you know you have one in the area and if you want to put in the time and effort, I would think you could harvest that bad boy.

Black squirrels are fairly common aound the Brainerd, Minnesota area.