PDA

View Full Version : I missed 3 times today... POOP !!

superior
02-07-2014, 08:40 PM
I got the crow call out in the back yard and within a few minutes, was able to get a flock of them circling overhead. Each time one landed, I shot and missed.
The shot was about 50 yards out and 30 yards up in the treetops.
I was using my 10-22 deluxe sporter that I've killed more varmints with than I can count. I even had a rest!! I shot for center of mass with federal bulk pack hollow points.. They are extremely accurate in that rifle ! I checked my zero after 3 misses and at 50 yards they were in a 3/4 " group. Can crows be that tuff?
I'd be pulling my hair out if I had any!!

blikseme300
02-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Body armor on them birds?

leeggen
02-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Did you calculate the uphill shot? Hold alittle lower and see if it may help.
CD

Wolfer
02-07-2014, 10:11 PM
It wasn't their day to die!

Blammer
02-07-2014, 10:19 PM
you was shootin the decoys they put out... :)

superior
02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I'll try holding a little lower next time.
If that doesn't work, the 870 with full choke will be the back up.

Ben
02-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Here is a good explanation of adjusting your aim for shooting up hill and down hill :

http://www.millettsights.com/downloads/ShootingUphillAndDownhill.pdf

jhalcott
02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I'd GUESS those birds were about 60 yards away from your 50 yds out and 30 yards up!

Nrut
02-08-2014, 01:23 PM
When shooting up hill or downhill aim low..
That's where mil dots come in handy..

badbob454
02-08-2014, 02:36 PM
thanks Ben .... nice article , i've been shooting for years thought i should aim higher at an uphill target ,, this should help those long distance shots ..thanks again

Bullshop
02-08-2014, 02:49 PM
I was surprised to find how much effect up or down hill shooting effects zero. I have recently had the opportunity to use the Sierra Infinity program which gives corrections for 20, 30, 40, and 60 degree angles. A 60 degree angle changes a 100 yard zero to a 300 plus yard zero.

Mk42gunner
02-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Feathers are tough to get through with a .22. there is a good possibility that you were hitting reasonably close to point of aim, but the bullets were deflecting.

35 years ago or so, our neighbors put in a couple of acre pond and had a few tame ducks. Then they decided to put in a dock and open the pond for swimming.

The ducks were making a mess; leaving deposits on the bank and in the water, and they could not catch them; so they asked Dad and I to take care of it. I found out that a .22 will ricochet off a ducks back at about eighty yards. Surprised me.

Robert

Hardcast416taylor
02-08-2014, 04:53 PM
I was almost expecting to read that you were using newly made Remington "Golden Bullet" hp`s. Then I see you were using Federals. The misses could have been from not holding your breath while crossing your fingers and not allowing for the Earths rotation while the tree limbs were swaying. Or you were using frangible bullets that blow up on contact? LOL! I`ve had days like what you just described and am now partly bald from scratching my head wondering why and how I could have missed?Robert

KYCaster
02-08-2014, 05:48 PM
The correct hold for up/down hill shots is always the HORIZONTAL DISTANCE to the target.......that is, the base of a right triangle formed by the line of sight distance to the target (hypotenuse), and the vertical distance above or below your position (height).

Jerry

missionary5155
02-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Greetings
And those pesky tree limbs will deflect those mighty caliber .22 in most any direction.
I also enjoy taking out a few crows ever opportunity I get when up north there. I think of it as my public service making sure the local population stays in check.
For some real fun get some decoys and try a flintlock. If I can keep at 50% I am very happy. Them buger birds are the fastest dodgers I have ever seen.
Mike in Peru

superior
02-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Ok. Today I got the call out and squawked for about 15 minutes..
I heard a few answers far off in the distance but no crows yet! I'm having a cup of coffee, but I'll be back at it in a few. My call instructions say to make 5 squawks..
That's supposed to mean " hey guys, I found some food!".
It worked last time and they were answering in 5 squawks instead of the usual 3 or 4.
Is it possible they remember being suckered in the first time?
I've heard crows are smart .

T-Bird
02-11-2014, 08:27 PM
They are smart. There are studies that have shown that they can recognize faces of people even. They probably remember and won't fall for the same thing again.

runfiverun
02-11-2014, 08:53 PM
kill one within view of the others and your done for a year or so.

bikerbeans
02-21-2014, 08:44 PM
In Ohio you can only legally shoot crows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (don't ask me I have no clue where this rule came from). There are always more crows in my wife's horse pastures Sunday thur Wednesday than on the 3 days I can shoot them. I guess then can read the hunting regulations.:wink:

BB