PDA

View Full Version : Ground Floor Investment Opportunity!!! New Wildcat!!

jaysouth
02-07-2014, 07:16 PM
I have developed this new wildcat pistol cartridge made especially for cast bullets. It is a .40 S&W necked UP to .452.

As soon as I publish this photo, the major cartridge companies will be knocking my door down. I am offering shares of this fantastic new venture at $1,000 per unit of participation. Only one thousand shares will be sold. You could quadruple your money overnight.

There are a couple of problems that the big boys can work out.

What will the chamber look like? A larger bullet than casing will take some innovative work. Magazines are easy, I have taken a ball peen hammer to .45 mags and solved that problem.

Maybe it be a better revolver cartridge. As soon as I figure out how to keep the cartridges from falling out of the cylinder if tipped down. Maybe we could do steel cases and have a small but powerful electro-magnet to hold the cartridges against the rear of the cylinder. After firing the last round, the magnet could be deactiviated and the gun tipped down. The cases would fall straight out.

PM for investment opportunity, TODAY! This is the next big one and won't last long.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/jaysouth100/45%20short%20and%20weak/DSCN0247_zps496bc374.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jaysouth100/media/45%20short%20and%20weak/DSCN0247_zps496bc374.jpg.html)

CastingFool
02-07-2014, 07:21 PM
looks like someone was screwing around in the basement!

moose0011
02-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Whew.. you are going to need a manager for all that money you will be raking in.. and please let me offer to screw you over before anyone else does lol.. I love the humor and how well it was thought out :)

I do have one more thing to add for you to worry about. Head space and proper support for the brass expansion. but that is no big deal for you.. I can't wait to hear the fix

merlin101
02-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Your to late JAYSOUTH, I've allready got a couple of those rounds loaded up and ready to go! Just can't seem to find a gun for em

ShooterAZ
02-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Whew...that pic makes me want to put on my glasses. Wait a minute I am wearing them!

jaysouth
02-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Headspace? Hmmm............How about welding a sleeve with the same ID as the 'skinny' part of the cartridge as just as long to the breech face. It would work kind like the breech block on a 105 Howitzer. The big boys all have slide rules and stuff like that for figuring stuff like that out. We just sit back and cash the checks.

C. Latch
02-07-2014, 07:39 PM
I think I'll wait and invest in a company that makes extractors; I foresee much extractor breakage and replacement with your new round.

moose0011
02-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I think I need to double dip here I would like to manage you as well C. Latch. I do not however want to have anything to do with the Warranty on the guns other than selling the parts to the warranty of the companies that take this on.

lonewelder
02-07-2014, 07:54 PM
:awesome:

texassako
02-07-2014, 08:06 PM
I think someone beat you to it since I have seen that brass at the range before.

blikseme300
02-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Like the idea!

I learned a few years ago NOT to have both of my Stoeger Cougar pistols at the range at the same time. The magazines for the 9mm and the .40 have the same body and the 9mm will feed & fire in the .40. The case flared open and the boolit hit the dirt about 20yrds from the shooting table.

waksupi
02-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I developed a similar round years ago, a .38 necked up to .45, with a 560 gr. Boolit. The designation in Cartridges of the World is the .38-.450.-560 Polish Short Magnum. I must admit, there are some feed issues I have yet to work out.

geargnasher
02-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Hey Waksupi, wasn't the Asperly Aimless once chambered in that wildcat?

Gear

sthwestvictoria
02-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Headspace? Hmmm............
Wouldn't it headspace just under the projectile?
Another positive benefit with this novel approach to headspace is that in tactical operation environments, operators can be reassured the round will not fall back out of the chamber during rolling, firing between legs manoeuvrings.

youngda9
02-07-2014, 10:14 PM
That would be a tailspace...not a headspace. Best get that patent soon !

geargnasher
02-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Um, Jaysouth, you do know that the S&W patent for the bored-through cylinder has been expired for about 135 years, don't you? There may still be a market for some front-loading cartridge conversions on the Walker revolvers, though.

Gear

DLCTEX
02-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Easy solution to chambering that round is to have a chamber made on the order of the Lee Collet dies to close in on the cartridge upon bolt closing. Chamber includes the firing pin channel and the extractor lifts through one of the splits in the open chamber. Dang, I should have patented this before putting it in print.

jaysouth
02-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I developed a similar round years ago, a .38 necked up to .45, with a 560 gr. Boolit. The designation in Cartridges of the World is the .38-.450.-560 Polish Short Magnum. I must admit, there are some feed issues I have yet to work out.

I feel your pain. I didn't name it because I figured I would let Federal and Remington duke it out over that one.

How small do they make electromagnets? Might pair that with electronic ignition too.

Patents??? I've got some cocktail napkins with some 'sketches'. Maybe I ought to get those drawn up. My cousin Booger is a fair hand with machinery. He was giving me some technical advice over a couple of cold ones at the Cock and Bull Inn last night.

williamwaco
02-07-2014, 10:24 PM
You need some decent weather so you can get out of the shop.

deerspy
02-07-2014, 10:32 PM
you could fumble around with some moon clips make it a six shot and slide three in then slip the three holed moon clip on reloads might be a little slow! sow it would have to bill as a paper puncher HA HA.

WallyM3
02-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Just chamber it backwards.

Oh...wait...

bhn22
02-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Colts gonna sue you for patent infringement. The Colt Thuer conversion was their way of not having to pay royalties to S&W for the bored through cylinder and rimmed case. Here's a picture of a loaded cartridge, which was loaded through the front of the cylinder, then rammed in place to fit tightly in the chamber:

sthwestvictoria
02-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Just chamber it backwards.

the Reverse Insertion Projectile - the last round you'll ever need.

Ibgreen
02-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Sorry, Burnside beat you by 150 years!95999

rexherring
02-07-2014, 11:58 PM
I did that by accident when a 44 mag got into my .45 Colt brass pail.

waksupi
02-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Hey Waksupi, wasn't the Asperly Aimless once chambered in that wildcat?

Gear
It was, in fact. An ingenious chambering process was used so it would function smoothly. It involved two hydraulic arms attached to the pistol, that were activated by gas pressure as the firearm was discharged.
As it fired, the breech block on top of the revolver would fly open, and the left hand arm would extract the fired cartridge, flinging it approximately as far as a Hakim or HK G3 rifle can remove a casing, to prevent jamming. You would then pull the trigger three times, actuating the second lever, which would pluck a cartridge from the attached carrier on the right hand side of the firearm. This would drop the cartridge into the breech block, which would be closed by pulling the trigger four more times,
At this point, you only had to squeeze the trigger twice to bring the loaded chamber into battery ready to fire.
This firearm, having seven chambers, seems to a casual observer as though it should be able to be loaded with more cartridges at a time, but this piece of engineering was never satisfactorily solved. Inspectors also found it objectionable on the point of it's erratic flailing around while functioning, resulting in loss of point of aim, and the death of three innocent mules during testing.
All in all, the design was considered a failure, although we suspect there was some nepotism between government sourcing agencies. They claimed that the overall size of the firearm was just to bulky for military or civilian use. It was also mentioned that since the only appropriate holster could be made from the full head skin of a baby elephant, the design died on the vine, and more's the pity.

leftiye
02-08-2014, 09:59 AM
No problemo. You just need a new slide with a breech face that has a tube thingie (technical term) that protrudes from the breech face to provide a recess to fit over the rear of the case. (I know, it still won't eject, maybe a spring plunger?)

scattershot
02-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Until you get your chamber dimensions worked out, you could load it into a .45ACP pistol and fire it straight up. May not go off every time, and it would be a single shot affair, but every great invention has its growing pains. Mount your targets on the ceiling and you'll be in good shape. Good luck!

jaysouth
02-08-2014, 11:45 AM
This place amazes me. The most whimsical posting evokes an outpouring of incredible depth of knowledge.

I gotta fess up. I am teaching my 12 year old grandson the fine arts of gunsafety and marksmanship and the mysteries of reloading. I erred by letting him start on a Dillon 550 set up for .45ACP. Starting off, the press was emptied of powder and primers. I piled some bullets on the tray and gave him a bucket of brass. The game plan was to let him run a dozen rounds through the entire cycle, reloading inert rounds, then he could have the fun pulling the bullets by smacking the floor with an inerta puller.

I stood back and talked him through it. He started and my cell phone rang. By the ring, it was the "masters voice". While I am on the phone explaining that, yes, I am home but no I am not in the house and will be available in a few minutes for any mission she sends me on, I see my grandson struggling to pull the handle down. I put the phone down and looked his shoulder. Sure enough, a .40 case got in the pickup-sort-tumble process.

The photo shows that the Dillon has enough torque to load .45 cast bullets into a .40 case.

There is a cautionary tale here, be awake and not distracted when sorting brass.

Grandson is now loading on a single stage press with intensive supervision. He has to load 25 rounds of .38 for the handi-rifle and 36 rounds for the 9mm STI for each range session. It would be a lot easier if I loaded them by the hundred on a progressive press. However, doing it the slow way makes him concentrate more on each shot. He show signs of being smarter and a better shot than some of his elders.

I am still amazed how how much knowledge and history was generated by this post. It makes me glad to be here.

jonp
02-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I have developed this new wildcat pistol cartridge made especially for cast bullets. It is a .40 S&W necked UP to .452.

As soon as I publish this photo, the major cartridge companies will be knocking my door down. I am offering shares of this fantastic new venture at $1,000 per unit of participation. Only one thousand shares will be sold. You could quadruple your money overnight.

There are a couple of problems that the big boys can work out.

What will the chamber look like? A larger bullet than casing will take some innovative work. Magazines are easy, I have taken a ball peen hammer to .45 mags and solved that problem.

Maybe it be a better revolver cartridge. As soon as I figure out how to keep the cartridges from falling out of the cylinder if tipped down. Maybe we could do steel cases and have a small but powerful electro-magnet to hold the cartridges against the rear of the cylinder. After firing the last round, the magnet could be deactiviated and the gun tipped down. The cases would fall straight out.

PM for investment opportunity, TODAY! This is the next big one and won't last long.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/jaysouth100/45%20short%20and%20weak/DSCN0247_zps496bc374.jpg (http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/jaysouth100/media/45%20short%20and%20weak/DSCN0247_zps496bc374.jpg.html)

I'm in!! After I contact Goldline I'll send you a Western Union Money Order.

jonp
02-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Ya know..why wouldn't that work? Headspace on the mouth and have a small block come up to support the tail? Case life would be very short and it might be a short range round but it might work. The powder would be interesting.

sundog
02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm suspecting that feed and chambering problems are not an issue at all. But, until an EXACT determination is made as to where this cartridges head spaces, ..., I guess that is a discussion (argument) all of it's own. Case mouth, shoulder..., shoulder, case mouth. Or maybe the rim. And then, we need go, no-go, and field gauges so safe operation can be checked.

Wolfer
02-08-2014, 02:03 PM
I believe we need to think outside the box here. I would be interested in loading with the boolit in the rear. It could headspace on the shoulder. The pressure required to straighten out the shoulder would assure good ignition.
No, I'm not sure how you would light it.
I'm not sure how much use it would have as a hunting/ defense round.
Though hard on brass think about all the lead you would save.

David2011
02-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Someone was shooting those in Thibodaux, LA several years ago. I picked up some of the expended brass. --Or were they shooting .40s in a .45?

David

Walter Laich
02-09-2014, 03:31 PM
this is what makes our country a world leader!

6bg6ga
02-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Someone is smoking something me thinks

Lunger
02-09-2014, 03:44 PM
looks like a reversed engineered glock case.

Old Dawg
02-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Rebated rims have already been done.

leeggen
02-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Shucks just make a revolver that is loaded from the front of the cylinder. Space cart. off the shoulder. Problem solved!!!! It is suggested to give it to a redneck first, just to work out the kinks.
CD

Bigslug
02-09-2014, 11:09 PM
You know. . .

The Ballard single shot rifles of the 1860-1890 era used a vertically-split two-piece breechblock. I suppose some clever soul could engineer a split chamber that would seal and work safely without a great deal of difficulty. What the FEED mechanism would look like is something I'm trying to conjure. . .

WallyM3
02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Not to mention fouling issues.