PDA

View Full Version : Any Musicians Here?

Clay M
02-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I am a guitarist.My wife and I play mostly old jazz standards from the 50 and before.

shredder
02-07-2014, 04:36 PM
I am a guitarist too. I play blues and rock. I always wanted an old jazz guitar with a big hollowbody and single pickup. There are some tones you can only get with a guitar like that in the right hands.

Clay M
02-07-2014, 05:14 PM
We use to have a blues band,but now it is just us two. We decided to do something different. I love playing the old timeless jazz songs.
I play a Gibson ES335.

Monttexan
02-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Don't know that I qualify yet. I'm slowly learning to play guitar. Emphasis on slowly. I can play a few chords, but can't change quick enough to turn them into anything. Someday....

Clay M
02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
It has taken me twenty years to get were I can play these jazz songs. The guitar is a slow ongoing learning process unless you are born with great talent.

Echo
02-07-2014, 06:15 PM
I don't claim to be an instrumentalist anymore, but I still call myself a musician, even though I haven't held an axe for over 50 years. Played trombone in a stage band, and the 'Clinic Dance Band' at UH in the early 50's.
Addendum: I picked up a baritone ukulele in the middle sixties - larger fretboard, and only 4 strings(!), so easier for these ham-like hands. Took it with me to SE Asia (Thailand) during the fracas (June '66 to July '67). My roommate played guitar, and taught me a few things. Probably because of the reputation Thailand had, my wife MADE me play a song for her when I got back to the Land of the Big BX, just to prove that I had actually been practicing. Still have it...

Fishman
02-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Don't know that I qualify yet. I'm slowly learning to play guitar. Emphasis on slowly. I can play a few chords, but can't change quick enough to turn them into anything. Someday....

Stay with it Monttexan. I have been practicing for 5 years now and can play simple songs and sing them. I can also play simple solos from some of my favorite metal tunes. And I started with no knowledge and less talent.

bangerjim
02-07-2014, 08:38 PM
I am a keyboardist. Play MIDI boards. Have many of them. Used to sequence everything thru a PC running expensive software. Now I do it all on this iPad! Even did a Christmas album for family & friends on the iPad last year. With the very inexpensive apps available, anyone can now build a song or arrangement, even vocal, with little expense and not much hassle.

My main interest is in classical, oldies, C&W (old stuff), and original compositions. I have done 3 different albums of original new-age stuff for friends.

I also play many wind instruments.

banger

osteodoc08
02-07-2014, 08:42 PM
I tried for a year with a Yamaha acoustic. I could only get a few chords. I had left it at my then fiance's house when she had her roof leak and it delaminated from the water damage. Haven't picked up another and likely won't. I just don't have the time (or patience). Wish I did though.

waksupi
02-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Mandolin and fiddle. I'll play anything except head banger stuff.

David2011
02-07-2014, 08:52 PM
I'm trying to learn guitar as well. Wish I had picked it up when I was 10 or 12; would have been easier. I play my steel drum regularly, still play trumpet and would be playing a French horn if they weren't so danged expensive. I love the music of Mozart but am equally happy with Marley and Tropical Rock.

David

Big Boomer
02-07-2014, 10:47 PM
My late father-in-law fancied himself a guitarist ... but mostly he just had the desire. Around 1960 I purchased from him a OO-17 Martin for $ 50. It is now worth a lot more than that. I played around with it for years, mostly learning how to play bar chords and playing hymns and other songs I liked. Plan on taking it to Nazareth, Pa., if I can get Martin Co. to set a date to glue the bridge back on when weather is more agreeable. Only thing it needs. Big Boomer

parson48
02-08-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm a strummer. I picked up a guitar in my mid 50s in hopes on encouraging my granddaughter to learn to play.

Eventually purchased a little Martin SWOM-GT, and learned a half dozen or so chords.

It's therapeutic and much less frustrating than golf!

shredder
02-08-2014, 10:38 AM
It's therapeutic and much less frustrating than golf!

Man you got that right! I have been a pro in my distant past and made records,toured and such things. I can say for sure that I enjoy the instrument much more now on my own terms than when it was a job. Big hair and spandex was fun but lost it's lustre in the rear view mirror!!

plmitch
02-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Started with bass guitar and drums as a kid in a few different band, went onto learn lead and rhythm guitar. Can't sing for ****. Very relaxing now, mainly play my Gretsch focused on rockabilly music.

DougGuy
02-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Me too.. Played in a lot of bands, toured with a national act, play guitar/bass/sing and write, been doing guitar repair since the mid 80s, had my own shop. Getting older now, still got my tools but do repair at home on a low key basis these days. Now winding custom pickups that rival the best of what's out there..

Monttexan
02-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Mandolin and fiddle. I'll play anything except head banger stuff.

So, we can expect some videos of you on Youtube lending your mandolin and fiddle talents to some hip hop or old school rap videos then? :kidding:

waksupi
02-09-2014, 12:42 AM
So, we can expect some videos of you on Youtube lending your mandolin and fiddle talents to some hip hop or old school rap videos then? :kidding:

Never can tell. I've played with jazz, Dixieland, blues, R&B, cowboy, you name it, I've probably played a bit of it.