PDA

View Full Version : Star on EBay, crazy prices!

enfieldphile
02-07-2014, 02:03 PM
In the last week, there have been 2 Star lubersizers on EBay, BOTH have sold for more (in one case way more) then current retail!!! :o Neither of them were cherry had extra goodies or even particularly clean.

Are the buyers that lazy, or, what-the-heck?? :???:

I'm just a dumb 'ole boy. I don't know a whole lot about business or such. I pay a guy to do my taxes.

But I DO KNOW THIS: you don't pay retail + for a used, rusted item when you can have a NIB Unit shipped from the maker!

I put fair bids on both those 2 units. I let the suckers buy them. I called Magna this morning. A NIB Star (+ shovel handle and heater) will be shipped to me on Monday.

I sent a message to Lathesmith listing all the dies, punches & setscrew-type nuts I need.

I guess my RCBS lubersizer w/ Lyman heater (+ a flock of sizing chambers and top punches) will go on the classifieds here once the Star is up & running.

ffries61
02-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Tell me about it ! I was watching them too, trying to get a second unit, but not at those prices, may order 2 from Magma and see what I can get on E-bay for the extra [smilie=1:

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Is Magma all caught up, so there is no wait to buy a Star ?
Last I heard there was a several week wait.

41cal
02-07-2014, 03:59 PM
In the last week, there have been 2 Star lubersizers on EBay, BOTH have sold for more (in one case way more) then current retail!!! :o Neither of them were cherry had extra goodies or even particularly clean. Are they that lazy, or, what-the-heck?? :???:

I'm just a dumb 'ole boy. I don't know a whole lot about business or such. I pay a guy to do my taxes. But I DO KNOW THIS: you don't pay retail + for a used, rusted item when you can have a NIB Unit shipped from the maker!

I put fair bids on both those 2 units. I let the suckers buy them. I called Magna this morning. A NIB Star (+ shovel handle and heater) will be shipped to me on Monday.

I sent a message to Lathesmith listing all the dies, punches & nuts I need.

I guess my RCBS lubersizer w/ Lyman heater (+ a flock of sizing chambers and top punches) will go on the classifieds here once the Star is up & running.

I see this with reloading equipment all the time. I think people get into bidding wars and don't want to be outbid. Great if you are the seller!!
Why else would you pay more for used than new?:roll:

enfieldphile
02-07-2014, 07:58 PM
ffries61, I know right? This is current-production equipment. There is zero reason to pay retail + !

Jon, The fellow who took my order said it will ship on Monday, so they must have caught up. I guess the guys buying used tools on EBay for retail + must have allowed Magna to get caught up on production. :)

Is Magma all caught up, so there is no wait to buy a Star ?
Last I heard there was a several week wait.

Alan in Vermont
02-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Tht's not a crazy as the ebay bozo who has been trying to sell an M die, for $142.00, since September last year. Hasn't accepted any offers either and he has had quite a few.

dragon813gt
02-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Magma's wait time was never that long to begin w/. I would just wait it out if I had to. But some people want everything right away. And that means you pay a premium.

220swiftfn
02-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Most of the bidders there are nucking futs........ But then again, not too long ago there was a Star lubesizer that sold "buy it now" for $50.....

Dan

Socal147
02-08-2014, 12:21 AM
I stopped bidding at $100 on both units. Barely lasted a few minutes at that price. LoL

D Crockett
02-08-2014, 01:05 AM
things like this is why I do not go on e-bay those people are stupid if they think I will pay the prices they want. I know it is all about making money but paying more than new stuff cost . just not my cup of tea D Crockett

TMenezes
02-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Wow! Just checked the prices on the Magma website! $325 just for the unit itself? I'll stick to tumble lubing till I win the loto...

David2011
02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Someone has been trying to sell an RCBS JR3 for $100 at the local gun shows. I see it on his table every time I go to one. He also has a used Forster trimmer with no accessories at new retail pricing. Yes, the pricing is nuts.

David

Sweetpea
02-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Tht's not a crazy as the ebay bozo who has been trying to sell an M die, for $142.00, since September last year. Hasn't accepted any offers either and he has had quite a few.

Yep, I submitted a bid of approximately the same as ordering online... declined.

MTtimberline
02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
enfield,
What are you thinking on price for the RCBS unit?

enfieldphile
02-08-2014, 04:27 PM
enfield,
What are you thinking on price for the RCBS unit?

I have to count what sizes and # of dies and Top Punch's I have before I can even come up w/ a price.

blikseme300
02-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Wow! Just checked the prices on the Magma website! $325 just for the unit itself? I'll stick to tumble lubing till I win the loto...

Once you have used a Star you won't go back to TL, IMHO. I am a cheap skate but the Star is worth it.

Floydster
02-09-2014, 01:57 AM
Just powder coat your cast boolits, get rid of that nasty lube:)

danomano
02-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Most of the bidders there are nucking futs........ But then again, not too long ago there was a Star lubesizer that sold "buy it now" for $50.....

Dan

That was me that scored this.. it was great!! :)

fastfire
02-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Just powder coat your cast boolits, get rid of that nasty lube:)

^^^^^^this

Roundnoser
02-09-2014, 01:06 PM
" A fool and his money are soon parted"

220swiftfn
02-10-2014, 03:51 AM
That was me that scored this.. it was great!! :)

I thought that that heater base looked familiar (assuming that you flipped it into "swapping and selling" here, that is....)

Dan

danomano
02-10-2014, 11:06 AM
I thought that that heater base looked familiar (assuming that you flipped it into "swapping and selling" here, that is....)

Dan

Well its my first Star so I am keeping it for myself. It sounds selfish, because it is :)

dragon813gt
02-10-2014, 03:23 PM
" A fool and his money are soon parted"

"There's a sucker born every minute"

mike daniels
07-27-2014, 02:28 PM
what is a fair price on the star sizers

ReloaderFred
07-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Buy a new one: http://www.magmaengineering.com/pricesheet.html

Hope this helps.

Fred

engineer401
07-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Buy a new one: http://www.magmaengineering.com/pricesheet.html

Hope this helps.

Fred

I am thinking Magma hasn't updated the price list. The price shown at the Star sizer page shows $325. http://www.magmaengineering.com/component/banners/click/14/

ReloaderFred
07-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I saw that a couple hours after I posted, when I looked at their website again for information on another forum. Best bet is to call them. The copyright date on their web pages is 2011........

Hope this helps.

Fred

mike daniels
08-02-2014, 12:38 PM
whats a ball park figure on a used star

W.R.Buchanan
08-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Mike Daniels: are you in Santa Paula CA? Do you like Jeeps?

Randy

chloe123
08-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Mike, I feel like I have seen this question before. I think eBay is popular for both sellers and buyers and through a "completed" search, one can quickly learn what buyers are willing to pay.

Aren't you a seller, not a buyer?

Without looking, I bet that used prices are pretty close to 15-20% of new. From a perspective of a seller, you're making a killing if it was pre Magma. If you're a buyer, you're probably thinking that the used machine is constructed the same and at the end of the day your saving. ~75-100$ I think most would agree its a sellers market more so than a buyers

mike daniels
08-06-2014, 11:03 AM
sorry i am in ohio and i do like jeeps message for W.R.Buchanan (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?18208-W-R-Buchanan)

mike daniels
08-06-2014, 11:07 AM
i am a seller we just bought 12 to 13 star lubra sizers along with star reloading machines i dont really want to sell on ebay fees are outrages someone siad this is the place to sell star stuff so here i am

mike daniels
08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
we bought a reloading business and are cleaning out as much as we can

mike daniels
08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
any wisdom whould be great

chloe123
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Now, it's starting to make sense. I didn't get to buy my sizer from you. You should pay the savings forward. Obviously you're in the niche forum of CB. Just sell it in the selling corner of the broader site and make some friends as a result

mike daniels
08-06-2014, 04:20 PM
well i don't want to get anybody up set i just need to unload some of this stuff the deal is we have to make the money back my friend spent stuff doesn't have to go for top dollar but i still need to make some cash for my friend

quicksilver
08-08-2014, 09:07 PM
well i don't want to get anybody up set i just need to unload some of this stuff the deal is we have to make the money back my friend spent stuff doesn't have to go for top dollar but i still need to make some cash for my friend

wHAT do you have and prices?

Garyshome
08-08-2014, 09:54 PM
There is a strategy for buying on E Bay and that ain't it!