PDA

View Full Version : too cold to be in shop!

nekshot
02-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I soon need a map to get around in the shop, its been so long since I was in there. I keep it warm enought so you cannot see your breath but it is too cold to stand still and work. Tried that and got bronchitus. Now we wait.

s mac
02-07-2014, 01:44 PM
I hear that, we are due for a break I hope.

Iowa Fox
02-07-2014, 04:10 PM
I think we are all hoping for an early spring and at least some sunny days until we get there. Earlier today I went into the shop to look for a box of 22 cal Blammer gas checks. Didn't find them before I started freezing. I'm going to have to put on insulated coveralls before I look for them again.

Echo
02-07-2014, 06:18 PM
We had a cold snap where the high never got up into the 60's. But it is warming up some now...

(Neener neener...)

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-07-2014, 06:32 PM
all the way to +5 today, its like summer!

Wis. Tom
02-07-2014, 06:43 PM
As I get older, the harder these winters are. This one is feeling extremely long, but being in the heating business, it has been very busy, problem is, I go to places that have no heat and when I get them heat, I have to leave. LOL One nice thing is this has just about killed the global warming crowd, I bet they really can't wait for summer.

bangerjim
02-07-2014, 08:46 PM
It's global WARMING! Just listen to our Userper-in-chief.

It's hot.....global warming
It's cold....global warming
Dry..........global warming
floods.......global warming

If I remember correctly from when I was a kid......the farmers called it "WEATHER"!

Here is AZ we are above normal on temps (70's) and below normal on rain.

Hang in there guys.......the "WEATHER" will improve!

banger

VinceG
02-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Winter in Missouri's made it tough to do anything useful this year. When there is a good day, it's usually wasted cutting more firewood. Spring is coming though.

deerspy
02-07-2014, 09:37 PM
here in the air capital Wichita Kansas it has been 4* to 14 for the last 3 days my shop not heated fingers got to numb to do any thing.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-07-2014, 10:13 PM
We have had a lot deeper cold and twice as much snow as usual this year. The snowmobile boys and happy. They usually have to go to Wisconsin to have some fun. We're on the down side of the hill now.

xs11jack
02-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Wis.Tom, you are absolutely right, after age 60, the winters are getting harder and longer to endure. I suffer from October to April and drive my poor wife crazy with the temp I would like the furnace to be set at. I snowblow a bunch of neighbors drives and don't mind that too much, but I do a large cup of Hot Chocolate at the finish. If I survive the wife, I will turn the furnace up to about 77 degrees 24/7.
Ole Jack

CGT80
02-07-2014, 11:00 PM
It was a little chilly in my garage, but I worked outside instead. I had my fish fryer and dutch oven going to melt down a batch of pure lead and some 15 pound ingots of wheel weights. It took three batches to get all that cast into my new 3.3 pound ingot molds. The lead wouldn't fit into my lee 20 pound pot as it was. The rain held off today and the sun came out. The propane burner kept me warm, but it wasn't really needed with the temp getting to 67 degrees in the shade and warmer in the sun. :grin:

uscra112
02-08-2014, 02:19 AM
The LCDs on my mill's DRO are all blank, it's so cold. At least I got the lathe into the cellar before all this hit....

MaryB
02-08-2014, 02:36 AM
My shop is not heated yet so no working out there all winter. Have my drill press in the house office/shop so I can at least get some electronics stuff worked on. Brough in the lee pot for casting, that is going to stay in where it is heated/cooled. Need to get some wood parts cut but it has been way to cold to putter out there changing the blade in the radial arm saw. Need some laser blanks to engrave pet pictures like these

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/2013-04-02_18-12-50_501_zps64664360.jpg

twotoescharlie
02-08-2014, 10:41 AM
agree with neckshot, 40 degres in my shop, no heat, just a path through it. recent stay in hospital, lost over 40 pounda, on coumadin,blood very thin,absolutly cannot get warm.

TTC

parson48
02-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Just focus on April 15th. That'll make the time pass more quickly!

Lloyd Smale
02-09-2014, 08:19 AM
I did something this year ive never done. I allways keep the loading room heated but with the price of propane this year i had to shut it down and close it up till warmer weather comes this spring.

youngda9
02-09-2014, 09:00 AM
I soon need a map to get around in the shop, its been so long since I was in there. I keep it warm enought so you cannot see your breath but it is too cold to stand still and work. Tried that and got bronchitus. Now we wait.
Bronchitis is not caused by temperature, I'm not sure what ailment is actually. It is viral or bacterial. The cold has nothing to do with it. Bundle up a bit and get back out there. Take a thermos of coffee and a space heater with you.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/8888.php

largom
02-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Local news said January temp. was coldest month in Tenn. for past 143 years.
Brought my casting pot into wifes garage, turned heat on to 50 Deg. and cast up several hundred 22 cal. boolits. Cabin fever is starting to get bad.

Larry

FredBuddy
02-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I keep my shop cool, too. This year I got an "electric doormat" to stand on if I am at a work bench. Helps a lot.

Ed Barrett
02-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I cast outside. The one day it got up to 60 degrees three weeks ago I went to the range. I have everything loaded that I have bullets for and can't cast anymore until the weather gets up to at least 50. At least the chiggers and ticks aren't bothering me in the woods. I seem to be spending most of my time bringing in firewood.