PDA

View Full Version : Forster Co-Ax Bench Priming Tool

Forester
12-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Does anyone have one of these? If so could you give me an idea of the size of its footprint on the bench? How does it bolt down? Anything imprtant to know about the best way to use the setup?

I am working on an idea for a way to setup a "modular" station on my bench where several tools that are not used often but need to be bolted down when they are can be swapped out easily. I am thinking about trying one of these Forster primer setups soon and want to have whatever I setup ready to use with this tool.

Thanks!

utk
12-13-2007, 05:07 AM
Footprint is approx 2" by 6". There are 3 mounting holes. Two holes at 1 3/8 from the "head end", one on each side. The third mounting hole is 1/4" from rear end, along the "centerline"

The rear portion of the base has a large square recess with small "dimples" on the bottom. This recess has a slot milled in one corner. The primers are dumped into this recess and when shaken, the dimples turns the primers anvil side up. The slotted primer tube is then held to the slot, and by tipping the whole tool, the primers slide in, sideways. Not one primer atop of another lika other primer tubes. Hope you get the picture?

So unless you make a primer-filling device of your own, you will have to have the priming tool easily removable from your table top. I would mount it onto a square piece of wood and clamp it to the table with a c-clamp or the like.

Forester
12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Footprint is approx 2" by 6". There are 3 mounting holes. Two holes at 1 3/8 from the "head end", one on each side. The third mounting hole is 1/4" from rear end, along the "centerline"

The rear portion of the base has a large square recess with small "dimples" on the bottom. This recess has a slot milled in one corner. The primers are dumped into this recess and when shaken, the dimples turns the primers anvil side up. The slotted primer tube is then held to the slot, and by tipping the whole tool, the primers slide in, sideways. Not one primer atop of another lika other primer tubes. Hope you get the picture?

So unless you make a primer-filling device of your own, you will have to have the priming tool easily removable from your table top. I would mount it onto a square piece of wood and clamp it to the table with a c-clamp or the like.

Thanks, that is exactly the info I was looking for. What I had in mind was mounting this tool along with several others, each to a square piece of plywood with holes in the corners that would match 4 bolts that come up through the bottom of the bench and use wingnuts to tighten the setup down.

I have an extra, metal, primer flipper tray that never gets used so I may end up working out a way to fill the primer tube from it.

Also, how do you like the tool?

Thanks again for the information.

utk
12-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I really haven't used it much as I mostly reload for handguns on a RCBS Ammomaster.
If you have shellholders for all your calibers, a regular priming tool might be better. The adjustable jaws on the Forster unit takes some fiddlin' every time you want to change caliber.

I also have the Hornady unit. If you want a tool that uses the regular shellholder you should know that every manufacturer has different diameter priming punch holes in their shellholders and some shellholders might not fit.
My Hornady unit has bushings for Hdy and RCBS shellholders, and I've made a bushing for LEE's (but it may work without any bushing at all, LEE's holes are small).

I recently bought RCBS' new Universal Hand Priming Tool #90201 which has spring-loaded jaws to hold the case. Takes everything from .32ACP to .45-70 without adjustments, save from changing between primer sizes.

Forester
12-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I really haven't used it much as I mostly reload for handguns on a RCBS Ammomaster.
If you have shellholders for all your calibers, a regular priming tool might be better. The adjustable jaws on the Forster unit takes some fiddlin' every time you want to change caliber.

I also have the Hornady unit. If you want a tool that uses the regular shellholder you should know that every manufacturer has different diameter priming punch holes in their shellholders and some shellholders might not fit.
My Hornady unit has bushings for Hdy and RCBS shellholders, and I've made a bushing for LEE's (but it may work without any bushing at all, LEE's holes are small).

I recently bought RCBS' new Universal Hand Priming Tool #90201 which has spring-loaded jaws to hold the case. Takes everything from .32ACP to .45-70 without adjustments, save from changing between primer sizes.

I don't reload that many calibers and the ones I load in high volume go through the Dillon anyway. This tool will probably be called on to do a couple hundred 45-70s a year, a few 30-30s and possibly a couple other rifle calibers in the future so time for switching calibers is not to big a deal. I mostly want something with more exact and repeatable results than what I have found with the Lee and RCBS hand priming tools.

utk
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I mostly want something with more exact and repeatable results than what I have found with the Lee and RCBS hand priming tools.

I don't know what you mean by "repeatable" results. The Forster is no more repeatable than the others, IMHO.

The "fixed-priming-depth" design of the Forster press itself has not been implemented in their separate priming tool. You can "flatten" the primer if you push hard enough, or seat it halfway in. And of course this is the correct method, seating by "feel" as primer pockets can vary.

Ask around what people think of the NEW RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool with it's self-adjusting jaws.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
That Dillon(I'm guessing) metal primer flipper is so heavy, it's just about useless. I bought mine because I thought it was solid brass (it isn't, it's just plated Zamak or something) and didn't expect the weight would make shaking difficult. I called Dillon and mentioned this, and they said to fill the primer tube with the primers that were right side up, then close and turn the flipper over and load the rest.:twisted: Use it for a drink coaster, and buy a plastic RCBS.:-D
Morgan

Forester
12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't know what you mean by "repeatable" results. The Forster is no more repeatable than the others, IMHO.

The "fixed-priming-depth" design of the Forster press itself has not been implemented in their separate priming tool. You can "flatten" the primer if you push hard enough, or seat it halfway in. And of course this is the correct method, seating by "feel" as primer pockets can vary.

Ask around what people think of the NEW RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool with it's self-adjusting jaws.

I will check on the new RCBS version. I have just never liked the handheld priming tools, especially the old RCBS version which I had at one time.

Thanks again for the info.

utk
12-13-2007, 02:40 PM
If you prefer a bench-mounted tool, have a look at RCBS' #9460 - AUTO PRIMING TOOL:

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/,DanaInfo=shop.rcbs.com+MainServlet?storeId=webcon nect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2886&route=C06J030

TAWILDCATT
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I have the bonanza primer.pain in neck to change I now use Lee and bought the shell holder kit.also the tube broke the casting.that was a known problem and they would repair it.I fixed mine as at the time I worked as a machinist.
:coffee:[smilie=1::Fire: