PDA

View Full Version : Remington Golden Bullet

Clay M
02-07-2014, 10:53 AM
The people at Rimfire Central seem to hate this bullet,but I get better accuracy with it in all my guns than the federal bulk ammo.My son has had some cases blow out with the Rem bullet, so I am wondering if they are safe to use in older guns with hard to find extractors?

Wally
02-07-2014, 11:31 AM
I also am a member on FC.... I too have found that to be true. I set up at 1.5" steel plate at 125 yards. I shot Winchester, CCI, Federal, & RGBs through a 10-22, a Marlin 60, & A Marlin 980V Bolt....I hit the plate most often with the RGBs. I fully expected the Federal to do the best... For some reason many praise CCI, I never found them to be all that superior.

I bought a no. of bricks of Remington Thunderbolts a few years back for $5.99. They shoot ok, but are the worst that I have ever used. Great for 25 yard plinking. Yes, they are dirty...big deal, I just clean my guns after using them. However if teh cost is teh same, I'd go with RGBs or Federal Bulk.

Not sure why the RGBs woudl cvause teh problem mentioned..I'd not use them in such guns to be safe...

junkpile
02-07-2014, 12:03 PM
I've used Golden Bullets for years. I remember quite some time back, Remington was producing some dirt cheap 22 ammo with a truncated nose that fed terrible. I can't remember if that was the Thunderbolt, or how they were named. I'm too cheap to buy the fancy ammo, but never saw any noticeable improvement in accuracy with CCI. So, I've always stayed with Golden Bullets, with a few bricks of Federals or whatever I could get ahold of. Its been almost 2 years since I've seen it on the shelf, though.

I've never had any blown out cases. What gun is he having the problem with? If an older auto, is the spring resistance too soft? As in, allowing the bolt to open before the bullet is far enough down the barrel, leaving enough pressure in the bore and chamber to split the case as the bolt comes back?

MarkP
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I think the cheap Remington truncated 22's were Remington Cyclones; when I shot these in a 100 yd indoor facility with a chronograph there were huge velocity spreads so much that you did not need to chronograph to tell you the extremes as some were subsonic (20" bbl).
A coworker had the same issue rims splitting; his wife was saying she hated shooting her ??? auto pistol as it hurt when shot as it felt like flies biting her arms. He looked at the spent cartridges almost all had a rim split. He called Remington and they asked him to ship them back to AR. I believe he received a more ammo in return than he originally shipped back.

Clay M
02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
I have a S&W 617 and it shoots so poorly with the Federal bulk that I might as well not waste time. The Golden bullets shoot really good in that gun. I think the Federal bulk seems to work better in rifles.

Larry in MT
02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
My info is old, so maybe RGBs are better now. 10 or so years ago they were terribly inaccurate in two 10-22s, had a dud every 25 rounds or so, had varying power charges (according to the noise level) and wouldn't even chamber in my S&W 17.

I haven't used them since.

My Nephew swears by them.

imashooter2
02-08-2014, 04:49 PM
I've only ever had a single brick of Golden Bullets and it will be dire straights before I give them cash for another.

Noticeably different report and recoil shot to shot. Accuracy was poor. Dirty, and left some weird hard crud on the end of my barrel. It looked like a lube star, but I needed Chore Boy to get it off. More duds than I've ever had before or since. And finally, a rim blew out and peppered my trigger finger with brass bits.

My package was marked "improved." Hard to believe that they could have actually marketed something that was worse than the absolute dung they sold me.

Reverend Al
02-08-2014, 05:51 PM
So far with the testing that I have done of various brands and types of .22 ammo the Remington Golden Bullets are the only thing that will function reliably in the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit that I bought for my wife's Glock 17. Shoots OK accuracy wise too and no dirtier than any other .22 LR ammo that we've been shooting in our various other .22 rimfire handguns (or rifles for that matter) ...
Might just be variations in quality control from lot number to lot number in reading the above comments, but so far for our use in her AA kit the RGB is the winner.

357mags
02-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Remington ALWAYS made the best rimfire ammo!

Herb in Pa
02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
You have obviously never shot Eley. RWS, Lapua, Wolf, or SK....................

rodsvet
02-08-2014, 08:30 PM
I bought 10 525 round boxes of Remington GB about 7-8 years ago at Big 5 for $10 per box. I got 5 or 6 fail to fire in the first box, so I put them up on a shelf in the garage and forgot them. They cooked out there till I remembered them last month and took them down to shoot up. After a thousand rounds and only one or two misfires, I guess you just need to age them in a hot garage for a while. Rod

krag35
02-08-2014, 09:07 PM
I have never had a problem with RGB. Only thing other than CCI mini Mag's that would run in a Sig Mosquito that I had. The best grouping bullet out of my 10/22. Glad I bought a few bricks before this recent stupidity started.

xacex
02-08-2014, 09:25 PM
I have a bunch of the 525 boxes I picked up when on sale at Bimart. Usually 11.95 and I would start buying my limit. Not the most accurate, but with a bull barreled 10/22 they would do 1/2 inch at 50 yards. I get about 2 ftf out of a box so that is not bad. They seem to store well so I don't mind them. They feed better than most .22's out of the 3 10/22's I shoot them out of. They even work well with my M296 with Black dog 25 round magazines. I was told they won't work, but I only get maybe 1 or 2 out of a mag that won't feed. What I have been seeing these days they sell for 50$ a brick. I dont know that I would pay that, but like I said I am not to worried about supply yet.

Bob Busetti
02-09-2014, 05:39 PM
My MK 2 Ruger bull barrel loves the Golden 22"s, however nothing else likes them. My CMP Kimber likes the Remington sub sonic, the 39A likes anything that is cheap.
Bob

osteodoc08
02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
The RGB are awesome in my 15-22. They are t as accurate as my CCI, but for the cost and my usage, I don't care.

plainsman456
02-09-2014, 08:25 PM
If you do not have anything else to do ,get your scales and with a new box weigh them.
I did this once and had them in 3 weights.
Light
medium
Heavy
When shot in a batch they all hot in the same place,no flyers.

Like it or not now days they and others have a few more duds than yesteryear's did.

C. Latch
02-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Once upon a time I bought RGBs by the case. I think they were $9/brick back then, and pretty decent ammo.

In later years - say, last 6-8 years - I have found them to be utter junk. I chrono'ed some that had almost a 200' extreme spread. Every box I've tried has been full of duds. I won't buy them again. Even during the current .22lr crunch I've turned them down. YMMV.

6.5 swede
02-09-2014, 08:43 PM
I have not had very good luck with them either, poor accuracy and ftf, and ruptured cases. dont have any problems with any other ammo.

Clay M
02-09-2014, 09:12 PM
I am guessing there must have been some bad runs with them a few years back ,because my son had bad luck with them too. All I can say is some of the boxes I have do indeed shoot better in most of my guns than the Fed bulk 550packs.

DLCTEX
02-10-2014, 12:12 AM
My Marlin 60 loves the RGB. My son's 10/22 does not. His prefers Winchester. Neither likes Federals.

jonp
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
If i didnt think rgb were good i wouldnt have 10k on the shelf. Slight variation in accuacy but for rabbits and squirrels quite good enough.
I find blazers to be very dirty. I have a couple of bricks of them at my hunting camp must be 15yrs old att least i keep there in case i forget to bring ammo

Bored1
02-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Just picked up another brick of the RGB from Cabelas this morning. Shoot great in all the 22's we have including the 10/22, plinkster, rough riders, and rossi single shots. Never really had a problem with them. Actually my favorite brand of 22lr when you can get em.

ravelode
02-20-2014, 05:48 PM
I have had more misfires with RGB than any other .22 ammo (one 100 pack had 25% misfires) usual is 10-15% even when rotated and fired again. This is with multiple guns. All cleaned well and in proper working order
I've sent several hundred duds back over the last 15 years. They have always reimbursed me for the whole carton/box worth.

Blammer
02-20-2014, 06:07 PM
RGB is my go to ammo for squirrel hunting.
Best accuracy and dependability for me.

fiberoptik
04-22-2014, 03:05 AM
I've gotten suckered more than a few times with Rem "Golden Bullets" in the past, usually cuz I forgot how bad they were. Shot dirty, shot sloppy, and usually went "click!" 5-8 times per hundred. Used it only for fast shoot plinking. Crappiest stuff I ever tried!:takinWiz:

Black Prince
04-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Yep. You are correct Fiberoptik and not only that, they won't even operate in my Little Browning auto because they don't have enough power to open the bolt and eject the fired case. I don't have any problems with any other brand of 22 ammo in the Browning. ONLY REMINGTON. They might do well in manually operated rifles, but if you shoot an autoloader, you may want to use other brands.