PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Question:

seekersoftheredmist
02-07-2014, 03:54 AM
Getting ready to size and wrap some 38-55 boolits. the Question I have is : What are yall sizing and wrapping up to? i was gonna size down to .375 and wrap to .380. Are yall starting with a smaller diameter and wrapping up or similar to what i am planning? As always, thanks for ALL the help folks!

bigted
02-07-2014, 06:38 AM
seeker,

i measure the barrel first to see what you have for bore and groove diameter. then decide whether you want to patch to groove or to bore. there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways.

if groove size ... then find your bore size and begin with a bore + .001 inch slick ... then discover what paper thickness to get so as to arrive at your groove diameter patched boolit.

if bore is your goal like many patchers that shoot BP ... then discover your bore measurement and subtract the amount of two wraps of your paper thickness then get a slick that diameter.

this is a good beginning then just begin. experimentation is the best teacher. also get Writes book on beginning patching as it will quickly steer you away from a few dont's and aquaint you to a bunch of do's.

Don McDowell
02-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Most folks that are serious about making paper patch work , will start out with a slick under the bore diameter, wrap it with paper that will bring it to just under or slightly over bore diameter, load and shoot. No sizing required.