PDA

View Full Version : Seating 312-185 1R in 2 groove 303B

aletheuo
02-07-2014, 12:10 AM
So, complete noobie here. I have a lendlease savage 2 groove that I've cast the throat on. No rifling until .7" in front of the chamber. Weatherby would be proud. Good news is the bore is 303/313 and the throat is maybe 316 at the ogive.

I'm not casting yet, so I bought 400 ww alloy cb's cast dropped from a lee 312-185 1r. They had 8mm gas checks placed on the bottom and were lubed with LA but not sized. The boolits dropped 313-315, mostly 315. I've run 100 of them through a lee 314 sizer now. GC mic's at 315 and driving bands at 314 (unless the boolit was undersized in which case I will sort out the smaller ones). I think I did my homework in reading... these should be pretty decent for this rifle.

I plan on putting 16 grains of 2400 into the case and seating the 185. I've tried seating a few with not great success. I haven't shot any yet. It was -26C here this AM.

I have an rcbs seater and I've belled the mouth with needlenose pliers (couldn't find the lee univ mouth expander in stock). But when I seat these boolits it seems hard to get them straight because the GC is .001 larger on the tail end. Also, I'd love to seat them out, way out for that nice freebore! But again, I'm not sure. Can someone tell me where and how to seat these boolits. Pictures are always good.

Thanks a bunch,
Jamie