PDA

View Full Version : Conical for 209 x 50 Encore

cabezaverde
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I have a 50 caliber Encore barrel on it's way. What conical mold is everyone doing well with for deer hunting?

I really want to cast my own for this barrel.

12-13-2007, 01:16 AM
For cast, I have the best success with the tried and true maxi-ball. Lots of lube (I'm going to try chargar's boob lube soon), felt wad and 100 grains of propellant. (FFG not FFFG) I am chagrined to mention that the T/C "Shock Wave" sabot, 250 grains, is a mighty fine and reliable go to bullet for the new whis-bang generation of front stuffers. Cheaper than the equally fine power belt. Back to cast ------ I like the maxi-ball better than the maxi-hunter. Just has worked better for me. 725

Underclocked
12-13-2007, 01:18 AM
The Encore barrels are made for sabots as the plastic sabot is far more forgiving than lead. TC's tolerances aren't the best.

You may get one that will shoot conicals well or you may get one that would give you trouble keeping conicals inside a bushel basket at 50 yards. Let's hope you get a good one.

I would try something in the 380-460 grain range and would size the bullet to fit land to land MEASUREMENT. Just a hair over land-land should also work well, perhaps .001" over. And that is if you are going to shoot non-tapered bullets. Just for grins, you might pick up some 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/86592-4296-481.html . Those are a tapered, hollow-base bullet. If those work well, you can pick up a mold to make an almost identical bullet.

You might also look at molds available for the .500 S&W as there might be something there that would fit the bill.

But I wouldn't get crazy getting set up for conicals for that rifle until I found out if it will shoot a conical worth spit.

You may also want to experience the recoil from some sample conicals out of that Encore. I'll suggest you start with charges at about 70 grains of your chosen powder. That experience can be an education in itself.

Best of luck to you and I hope your rifle is fine with whatever conical works for you. :)

lathesmith
12-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Has anyone tried one of those Lee REAL's in an Encore? I have a 209x50 Encore, and have not tried it yet. I still have a 50 cal REAL mold from the old days and was wondering how it might work(or not). It sounds like it may be a hit-or-miss deal, literally. I had good luck with the REAL's in the past with CVA in-line front-stuffers but have not tried the newer generation ones with it yet. IIRC, the newer ML's have a tighter twist than the ones made in the early 90's so lead may not work so well.
lathesmith

wolfspotter
12-13-2007, 08:48 PM
I have good luck with the 250gr & 320gr Lee REAL's in my TC New Englander 1/48 twist and Traditions inline 1/28 twist. The 250's shot very well in my friends 209X50 Encore but he didn't care to fire the 320's due to a back injury. I also cast softer 45 cal Lyman HP Devastator boolits and gave him some to try with sabots. He averaged 6 shots 1-1/2" at 100yds.
:castmine: