PDA

View Full Version : Reloader 10x

The Nyack Kid
09-01-2005, 09:16 PM
This is a powder that i havn't seen a lot of data for . has anyone done any work with this in the 45-70 or anything else for that matter besides me ? i heard that the burning rate is real close to Hodgen's 322 . my ol man had several pounds worth and i couldn't help myself . Ive found that my 1886 EL likes 44 grs under a 475 gr NEI FN W-W case WLR primer . it goes bout 1625 fps and the extreme spread is small ( 15 fps ) the groups are small too 1 to 1.5 inches when i do my part .

Bass Ackward
09-02-2005, 07:19 AM
This is a powder that i havn't seen a lot of data for . has anyone done any work with this in the 45-70 or anything else for that matter besides me ? i heard that the burning rate is real close to Hodgen's 322 . my ol man had several pounds worth and i couldn't help myself . Ive found that my 1886 EL likes 44 grs under a 475 gr NEI FN W-W case WLR primer . it goes bout 1625 fps and the extreme spread is small ( 15 fps ) the groups are small too 1 to 1.5 inches when i do my part .

Nyack,

I find that RL10X is a modernized version and about the burn rate of 2015. Or if you are not familiar with that, it is almost smack dead in the middle between 4198 on the fast side and H322 on the low. My guess is that you could duplicate your load balistically that you mention by using 42 gr of 4198 or 46 grains more of H-322.

I like 10X. Less leading because of the stuff they put in it to prevent metal fouling. Less leading, less cleaning or longer shooting strings. Less lube, so less fliers. Or so all the theory goes. But I shoot enough to keep Reliant in business.

The Nyack Kid
09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
thanks . I know it is a new powder so there isnt much data . i was wondering if there was anything special about other than the name . im going to do some more work with this powder since i like what im seeing. Ive here that AA 2015 is a good powder for the 45-70 but I havnt tried it out yet.

The Nyack Kid
09-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I worked up to 46 grs of 10x and a 485 gr boolit before i wimped out . i was getting 1752 fps .... ouch.... i can get 47 grs of 10x under this booilt but why ? I really like 40 grs for 1520 fps it will make a great practice load .

Jumptrap
09-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I worked up to 46 grs of 10x and a 485 gr boolit before i wimped out . i was getting 1752 fps .... ouch.... i can get 47 grs of 10x under this booilt but why ? I really like 40 grs for 1520 fps it will make a great practice load .

Nyack,

Pray tell, why do you need a 'practice load' and then something stouter? A 485 grain bullet going 1500+ will kill anything.....on this Continent, anyway. I feel you should choose one load that shoots accurately and comfortably and then practice until you become thoroughly familiar with its caveats and be satisfied. I have found the 405 RCBS cast of pure lead over 41.5 grs. of Re7 to perform in such a manner that is reasonably comfortable, delivers somehwere in the 1500 fps range and kills deer very well. I hate a load that kills on both ends. Also consider, a load delivering 1500+ is already well beyond the original 1300 fps load...which was used to whack buffler, elk and come what may. Dead...is dead. Be kind to yourself and your gun.

The Nyack Kid
09-10-2005, 10:27 PM
why would i what something stouter ? cause i can :p .
plus it helps with the trajectory. the 45-70 aint the flattest shooting round out there and so every little bit helps .shooting at my gong at 200 yards i noticed a differance of 10 inches in drop between 1500 fps and 1750fps or 150 yards point of impact for the 1500fps load and 200 yard POI for the 1750 fps .also i sleep better at night knowing that if a rouge freight train needs dispatching i have a load/gun combo up to the task. true the recoil is greater but im used to it , ive shot over 1600 full power loads though this rifle judging by how many gas check ive got left ( the only got a big buise once , after that i got a slip on recoil pad aka "***** pad " ). what im going to do is load up 20 full power rounds and keep them in a special ammo box for hunting with only ( also for playing tricks on poor unsuspecting fools :twisted: )

Jumptrap
09-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Well you might also try a case full of Bullseye.....cause you can. If you can find a 462560 mould, I think this bullet would be an ideal combination witht he above mentioned charge of Bullseye. You'll never need to load more than one.

The Nyack Kid
09-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Well you might also try a case full of Bullseye.....cause you can. If you can find a 462560 mould, I think this bullet would be an ideal combination witht he above mentioned charge of Bullseye. You'll never need to load more than one.

i thought to myself why not ? what can it hurt ?
so i stuffed a bunch of bullseye under my 485 gr boolit. heres what happened.

after the heat treated wheel wheight colored smoke cleared off , I picked myself up of the floor from my sixteen foot skid ( six feet back in the air then ten feet along the floor finely hitting the wall at the rear of the building . ) the boolit didnt hit the target do to getting sucked in to a hole ripped open in the space/time continum. the boolit and my crony are now floating around in some far off dimention sort of like the twilight zone. this i beleave this is the same place were heavy cast 6.5 boolits end up . DO NOT USE THIS LOAD . it will start fires , ruin meat ,destroy your hearing and it aint worth replacing all of your neighbors blow out windows.( my nearest neighbor lives 3 miles away )
i wont tell you the load other than to say that it was between 50 and 51 grs of bullseye...... or was that bullsh*t ?
my 1886 can take this load but i don't beleave a trapdoor springfield wil handle it . that is what i love about Brownings design, it is as strong as a steel brick . got to go now, the rain is coming in to the hole where my wall used to be.

Jumptrap
09-11-2005, 08:59 PM
HEHE! You're too funny!

Honestly and all silliness aside, I know many of the guns we have today are strong and can take quite a load. But, me thinks if I had intentions of shooting elephant loads, then that is what I would work up and shoot all the time simply so I could learn where the load shoots, have my gun sighted for that load and then always be ready. I hate like hell to fidget with the sights on a gun constantly and always trying to remember if said load shoots high or low at certain ranges. I've seen guys with a notebook taped to the stock telling them where certain loads shot.

Now for the record, years ago....like 25-30, I shot nothing but jacketed bullets and always pushed the envelope..ALWAYS. I wouldn't stop until the primers looked painted on, then I might back off a grain or two. And of course, I had every available bullet weight made for any given caliber I shot. I spent too damned much time reading gun rags. Finally, I wised up and selected ONE fine load for each of my rifles, set the scope/sights accordingly and then left things alone. My .223 shoots 26.5 grains of MR223 under a 50 grain winchester bulk bullet as well as I can hold a rifle. That is the only load I shoot and I have killed everything from frogs to deer with it. My 308..I don't even bother to reload for it. I bought 3 cases of Hirtenberger 150 gr. SP ammo and it shoots superbly. If I ever use it all up...down to one case now, I may work up something for it. The list goes on and on...I already mentioned what I shoot in my Marlin 45-70...it works and I ain't changing it. I finally bought a proper mould for my Martini Cadet and it shoots one load...10 grains of 2400. The .38's eat 3.5 grains of Bullseye and a 158 swc. Simplify, Simplify!

David R
09-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I can see both sides. My problem always was "load 20 and save them for hunting". Well, how many of that 20 is it going to take to get a perfect zero at the range you want it set at. It probably won't be the same as your practice load. Some rifles I have a few loads for and some guns always get the same diet. If I find a load that I really like, it becomes the standard for that gun.

I Only have one mold for my 44 and always load 2400 in the biggest cavity of my autodisk.

My 1917 enfield has many different loads.....plinking, sillywet, and long range. I am still working on this one.

My 22-250 has an awesome lead load so I carved it into stone tablets. I will never change this one or try anything else. I also shoot J boolits in this gun, but wrote down the settings for 100 yard lead and 300 yard J.

David

waksupi
09-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Nyack, if I thought you had really put 50 gr. Bullseye in a case, I would have come up there and confiscated your guns!

Sounds like you'll be in a good bear hunting area, black or griz. I had a tent shredded by a black up there some years ago, camped on the Landenberg ranch. Funny deal, my Chesapeake was chained out front, and there were two other dogs running free. When I got back to camp after having dinner at the ranch house, the tent had a corner ripped to pieces. There was blood and hair all over inside. None of the dogs had a scratch. I guess the bear was a bit outnumbered. Glad it wasn't a griz, or we would have had three dead dogs.

The Nyack Kid
09-11-2005, 09:48 PM
well in my defense I just got the 1886 last christmas ( a gift to myself) so i havn't settled on a do all load yet . I beleave I could push this powder/boolit a little more but i wont . the recoil isn't all that bad . it is a slower push rather than a sharp snap . the faster load does hurt my small finger on the lever hand and that can lead to a flinch if i shoot to many times . like i said earlier the faster load does shoot flater and i find that benifital when it come to hunting . granted the one load one gun idea has great merrit. that is what i do with my 300 H&H ,200gr Speer GS 70gr H 4831sc , but you have to admit it is fun to toy with new stuff .

KCSO
09-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I also have an 1886 light weight. I load to 1400 fps and grin and bear it. If yo are shooting 1700 your, "a better man than I am Gunga Din". Elmer Kieth would love you. Just remember that when you get old and decrepit and you wake up every morning with a sore shoulder, It was fun while it lasted.

David R
09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
well in my defense..... snip ......

:) you don't need to defend yourself :) Its your gun :)

The Nyack Kid
09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
never had a bear/dog confrontation yet, cause our dogs are big hair chickens . case in point last week a bear destroyed an apple tree and not a peep out of them mutts . If i had put 50 grs of bullseye in a case , then there would not be anything left but a big smoldering crater . heh wish me luck , bear hunting . it seems as soon as the season come around i cant find anything .

waksupi
09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I just didn't want to hear about your hurting yourself, or your rifle. I had an original 86 some years back, that had been rechambered to .45-70. I was making some way mucho caliente loads for it. The magazine backed out of the action on it. I figured that may have been a little too much. Fixable, but was a good lesson on hot loads in a winchester lever gun. I also had stretched the frame on a .44-40 Henry at one time with hot loads.

waksupi
09-11-2005, 10:09 PM
never had a bear/dog confrontation yet, cause our dogs are big hair chickens . case in point last week a bear destroyed an apple tree and not a peep out of them mutts . If i had put 50 grs of bullseye in a case , then there would not be anything left but a big smoldering crater . heh wish me luck , bear hunting . it seems as soon as the season come around i cant find anything .

I've noticed over the years, dogs are pretty brave when it comes to black bear and lions. Griz seems to make them pretty quiet, and wanting some serious comfort time inside with the humans. the neighbor dogs are not habitual barkers, so we know when they start barking at each individuals place down the mountain, that is where the lion or blackie is. The griz alarm is more of a mournful howl, if anything. Kind of like singing thier death songs.
"I don't want to die-yi-yi-yi-yi!"

The Nyack Kid
11-16-2005, 11:21 PM
i seen a powder burning chart the other day in a little reloading manual put out by Western Powder Co . Reloader 10X was the powder right next to winny 748 on the fast side ... just something to think about.

drinks
11-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Rel 10x is also right next to BLC-2, a powder I have used in several cartridges, it is a very easy to measure powder and is really nice in 7mm to .35 for medium weight bullets.
I have yet to try it in .45-70, mostly because IMR 4198 and Rel 7 are so satisfactory in the .45-70

The Nyack Kid
11-19-2005, 11:27 AM
It seems that reloader 10X is slower than I had prevously had thought hense my shoulder busting load may have lower pressure than i thought.

The Nyack Kid
11-25-2005, 01:29 AM
i told my dad about the burning rate of 10X being close to winny 748 and he said "hmmmm" . they aint cast boolits,but he worked up a good load with them any ways .
8mm 185 Rem cor-loks
Rem 8x57 cases
CCI 200 LR primers
45 gr Reloader 10X
Rem 700 classic 24 in barrel
2623 fps average low es and sd and MOA groups @100 yards.
pressure signs normal (what ever that means )
this is the load that he settled on and it didnt take him log to get there . Next up, 10X in the 9.3x62 .