PDA

View Full Version : Lyman's Customer Service

flintsghost
02-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Yesterday I received a new bullet mold and the box had the correct number of 429215. The mold inside was numbered 428215JV. I called Lyman's customer service numbers and when I entered the appropriate number for customer service the line went conveniently dead on Lyman's end. This happened three times. I then googled customer service for them and got one of those annoying offshore type entrys that are occasionally found where you get an incident number and have to enter your name, email and phone number. So far nothing has happened. I decided that I should just return it to the company I bought from and ask for a replacement with the correct mold number on it, rather than wait, who knows how long for Lyman to get back to me. I had a discussion with the company rep by phone and he agreed that there was too much stuff out there that worked so that I didn't have to deal with a company for which customer service appears to be non-existent.

Has anyone had a similar problem. I've used a few Lyman molds and products for casting over about 40 years and never had to contact them before. I've dealt with customer service from Colt, S&W, Remington, RCBS, Dillon and Omark CCI, but this was a first for me with Lyman. I will in the future try real hard not to use their products since customer relations appear to be virtually non-existent.

jameslovesjammie
02-06-2014, 08:43 PM
They are the same mould/design. JV is the cherry identification number. Whether it drops at 429 or 428 is anyone's guess. I have a 401638 that drops .403x.406 out of round and big. Most people have them drop too small. My mould was produced in 2008.

flintsghost
02-06-2014, 11:52 PM
They are the same mould/design. JV is the cherry identification number. Whether it drops at 429 or 428 is anyone's guess. I have a 401638 that drops .403x.406 out of round and big. Most people have them drop too small. My mould was produced in 2008.

I knew the design was the same but the sizing is usually designated by the first three numbers. Most molds drop a couple of thousands larger depending on the lead composition. 428 is such a foreign sizing number that I wondered why they would designate the mold that way. However the reason for the post was to inquire about Lymans poor customer service. The mold I received is already on it's way back to the place that sold it as an exchange for one that is sized for 429.

'74 sharps
02-07-2014, 07:03 AM
The issue with any customer service department is not where they are physically located, but how well the situation is resolved.

bhn22
02-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Your mold is mismarked is all. there is no 428215. Heck, there's no 428 diameter. The "215" really tells you everything. I see this still happens on occasion.

Larry Gibson
02-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Got a picture of the mould with the number?

If mismarked it might just make it more valuable to a collector, especially on ebay?

You might test fire the mould before sending it back....it may just give you exactly the size bullets you want. If so then what difference does it make if it is mismarked?

Ever consider the line going dead may be a technical problem not of Lyman's desire? I'm sure no one here has ever had any problems with computer controlled answering.............

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
computers have introduce a whole new level of ways things can go wrong in our world. Lyman has to live with this new reality and so do we. Getting spun up about it, every time it happens will make our world quite unhappy. We get to choose, if we let this stuff get to us or not.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-07-2014, 12:05 PM
If I was buying a Mold for 44-40 (.427 Bore), then I'd want a mold that drops around .428 or .001 larger. You don't suppose that's a custom cut for 44-40 ?

I'm with Larry, test that mold out, and see what it drops. And as Larry always recommends, I'd use an alloy that you know has at least 2% tin.
Good Luck,
Jon

GabbyM
02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Agree: Cast up some bullets and see what you have. If you can get yourself a 429 or 430 bullet then you should be good to go.

7br
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
I order a .35 cal mandrel for my M-Die, I recieved a .375 mandrel. I called up Lyman Customer Service and they said they would ship the proper mandrel to me. When I asked what I should do with the .375 mandrel, the lady on the phone said "Why don't you buy a new rifle?" Talk about enablers.

dondiego
02-07-2014, 12:26 PM
To late! He said he has shipped it back!

Don

leadman
02-07-2014, 12:37 PM
With all the storms going cross country and the ice bringing down the power and phone lines I would suspect something like this.
I called RCBS the other day and got an answering service also. Took RCBS a day to get back to me.

flintsghost
02-08-2014, 01:54 PM
The Mold was brand new. Can't return it if I cast something in it. I sent it back. Still haven't heard anything from Lyman on their ticket # that I was assigned or on a return phone call. I really don't expect to.

GabbyM
02-08-2014, 02:26 PM
The Mold was brand new. Can't return it if I cast something in it. I sent it back. Still haven't heard anything from Lyman on their ticket # that I was assigned or on a return phone call. I really don't expect to.

No one at Lyman ever told you such a story as that.