PDA

View Full Version : how to tell the rolling blocks age?

wisconsin
12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
i have this old rolling block:-D [action] its got a badger barrel a good shooter. cant tell how old it is has a couple lines of patten dates i believe its #1 bp 45/70 :coffee:and thats what i shoot thanks:drinks:

Buckshot
12-13-2007, 03:58 AM
..............Remington made very few changes to the #1 (largest) action over it's life. All military actions had round action tops. Earliest actions had a sliding extractor carried along the lower rear of the barrel. Later ones had a rotary extractor carried on the breechblock axle pin. Also, early actions had the front part of the breechblock machined to a 'U' shaped channel to match the rounded underside of the barrel boss inside the action.

The model 1897 smokless actions reverted to the sliding extractor, so this is an exception to the above. The next, the M1902 carried the rotary extractor. Patent dates on the upper tang can give you an 'era' of when it was produced. Unless you knew that it was from a military contract, (and which one) that would maybe trim the period down. Oherwise the patent date had some changes made to it's form, and naturally it's dates that may also help get a bit closer, but that's about the best you can do.

What does the patent info look like? Number of lines and what's in each line would help.

...................Buckshot

wisconsin
12-13-2007, 10:04 AM
the lines on the tang..top line e remington&sons ilion ny usa second line pat . may rubed out...june 11th nov12 18..dec24th18.. third dec3....1872 sept9th1873 jan12th..march18th1874. thats what is visible and that leads me to believe approx. date 1874 thanks

wisconsin
12-13-2007, 10:07 AM
OH.. it also has the side exractor right side of action and a round top thanks

Buckshot
12-14-2007, 04:36 AM
OH.. it also has the side exractor right side of action and a round top thanks

.............If this is the sliding extractor, it should be on the left side of the breech, viewed from the rear (as if shooting ). Is this it?

...............Buckshot

wisconsin
12-16-2007, 08:57 PM
yeh your right the left side thanks ..wisconsin