PDA

View Full Version : I was just browsing Accurate molds website and found this little gem:

MBTcustom
02-06-2014, 09:38 AM
This is such a cool idea!
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-240Z-D.png
What a versatile boolit! I'm wondering if I "HPed" it........

MBTcustom
02-06-2014, 10:03 AM
14 veiws. Nobody is understanding the awesomeness.
Take a good look at that "nose". That aint an ordinary WC boolit. That is a GC shank.

osteodoc08
02-06-2014, 10:07 AM
14 veiws. Nobody is understanding the awesomeness.
Take a good look at that "nose". That aint an ordinary WC boolit. That is a GC shank.

I've seen that one in the past and wonder if they put it upside down on the website. You've right, it would be an odd "nose" for a wadcutter.

So youre gonna be the guinea pig on this one, right?

lancem
02-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Yes and crimp groove at either end, so put on a GC and push it hard, turn it around and have a pb wadcutter for target?

dkf
02-06-2014, 10:10 AM
I was looking at that one the other month. I would actually like to see a similar design (gas check one end, PB on the other) on the Mihec HBWC design. Would be a good bullet for the guys that want to push a solid full wadcutter fast or have a lighter HB plinker in one mold.

MBTcustom
02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Just what I was thinking. it would be interesting if that boolit was bought, then sent out for HB pins with flat base optional pins too. Then you could have a HB wadcutter, a standard wadcutter, a GC wadcutter, or a GC wadcutter with a reeeeeeaaaaaaly mean HP!!!!

GLL
02-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Tim:

I have that mold if you would like to try a handful !

http://www.fototime.com/9C41CB68988B17F/medium800.jpg

Jerry

MBTcustom
02-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Was that your design? Gotta say, kudos!
Did you ever think about HP/HB ing it?

GLL
02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
I did have Tom design me several wadcutters but I cannot take credit for this one ! :)
PM me an address if you would like a few to play with !

Jerry

white eagle
02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
think he called em' pin boolits

danomano
02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
That is awesome! Keep us updated please!

MBTcustom
02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
I started a thread about Accurate boolit molds. Please check it out, and take credit for the ones you did design!
Kudos will be forthcoming!

Doc Highwall
02-06-2014, 03:53 PM
It looks like it could be a plain base lead bullet with a jacketed nose.

2wheelDuke
02-07-2014, 05:10 AM
I'd love to see that with a hollow base/huge hollow point. I'd love to see a thorough test of it even more.

btroj
02-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Why do I need a 44 cal wad cutter? If I pull out my 44 SRH I want to reach out and touch something and limiting myself to 50 yards isn't gonna cut it.

I'm not a target or pin shooter so I just don't see a need.

Sorry to rain on the parade......

DRNurse1
02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
BTroj: No rain here...too cold. It appears to be raining only on your parade. The other posts are interested in this boolit.

Seems this tool has a use, just not one for you....unless you take up that pin shooting thingy!

Good thing you have a wide brim on that hat.

TomAM
02-07-2014, 09:28 AM
I've been a pin shooter for many years. This idea just popped into my head one day. The jacketed nose thing was the principle idea. A harder, higher friction surface.
Somehow, my play time has been greatly reduced in the last few years, and I've still never shot a pin with it.
The 45 version has been popular for the 460 S&W.

btroj
02-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Tom, isn't that the norm? The guy who makes the toys never gets to play with them?

I will say one thing, buy a toy from Tom and you won't be disappointed at all.

Bigslug
02-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Just what I was thinking. it would be interesting if that boolit was bought, then sent out for HB pins with flat base optional pins too. Then you could have a HB wadcutter, a standard wadcutter, a GC wadcutter, or a GC wadcutter with a reeeeeeaaaaaaly mean HP!!!!

Does anybody else hear Duck Dodgers saying "Oops! Had the silly thing in reverse"? :kidding:

I'm kinda curious about the terminal effect of a soft-alloy HBWC with a GC applied to the nose. One thing common to Foster-type shotgun slugs is that the diameter increases by walls of the hollow base tending to mushroom forwards and outwards on impact. Since the front of the slug is impacting and slowing down first, the walls keep moving and blow out. I'm guessing that a harder nose (in the form of a gas check) would magnify this effect by preventing the nose from rounding over.

I'm also curious about the internal effects of this arrangement. The hollow base will help with sealing, of course, and the gas check in this location SHOULD still act as a gas seal and rifling key, and you SHOULD be able to drive it just as hard as you would with the check in back.

Rather an unorthodox way to get a bullet to expand, but possibly worth testing. Seat the edge of the check inside the case to prevent pull-off.

357maximum
02-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Tim:

I have that mold if you would like to try a handful !

http://www.fototime.com/9C41CB68988B17F/medium800.jpg

Jerry

Jerry

Just curious...which list would be longer? moulds you do have or moulds you do not have? :mrgreen:

sorry could not help myself,
Mike

GLL
02-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Jerry

Just curious...which list would be longer? moulds you do have or moulds you do not have? :mrgreen:

sorry could not help myself,
Mike

:) :)
Ever since I retired a few years ago I have enjoyed "playing" with interesting bullet designs !
I work a part-time job for a few hours a week and it pays for the alloy and my bills to Swede, Mihec, and Tom. I already paid my extensive debt to Bruce ! :) Wish he was still in production though !
Buying new molds and woodworking tools is much more fun than something like BitCoins or stocks and bonds ! ;)

Just wait til I get this one finished up ! ;) ;)
http://www.fototime.com/5C17D19DD9ED110/medium800.jpg

Jerry

357maximum
02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
I was actually at BRP's shop when one of the "Jerry Runs" runs was being made.......that's when I KNEW you had issues......issues I wish I had back then :lol:

I miss BRP in a bad way.....it was nice while it lasted though.

randyrat
02-09-2014, 09:55 AM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-240Z-D.png
What an awesome versatile bullet..
GC or not
Thanks for pointing that bullet out....Goodsteel
BTW............. I like the Accurate web site, what a user friendly site and easy to order and shop! I wish more were like that.. someday maybe I can have a site that is 10% as good as that.

myg30
02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Is it suggested that you have to crimp the brass on the check to hold it ? If the check was seated when sizing is there not enough tension to hold it on ?

Has there ever been a mold made where the check can be held in place by the mold and poured from the top nose end so its "soldered" to the boolit as its poured ? Maybe a slot in the side of the mold to feed in a check ? Might be a bit slower to cast but who's in a hurry when casting. Down fall is aluminum checks of course. This boolit designee would be a good one for it. Any thoughts ? Down fall to soldered check ?

Mike

308w
02-09-2014, 08:49 PM
To anyone who has this slug, is it accurate to 100 yds, what are your results? Will it feed in lever guns??? Jus wonderin, interesting design.......

randyrat
02-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Yes I have a pretty good idea it won't work..for one thing you would have to have your checks really HOT so the lead will fill in them, then how are you gonna place them in the mold with heavy gloves on.

MT Gianni
02-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Is it suggested that you have to crimp the brass on the check to hold it ? If the check was seated when sizing is there not enough tension to hold it on ?

Has there ever been a mold made where the check can be held in place by the mold and poured from the top nose end so its "soldered" to the boolit as its poured ? Maybe a slot in the side of the mold to feed in a check ? Might be a bit slower to cast but who's in a hurry when casting. Down fall is aluminum checks of course. This boolit designee would be a good one for it. Any thoughts ? Down fall to soldered check ?

Mike

In one of the reloading annuals I had someone had designed a 375 mold with driving bands instead of lube. They had cut 3/8" tubing down to size and inserted the bands and poured. The 30 cal checks were tried with a hole punched in them were found wanting.

Mod42
02-09-2014, 10:18 PM
In the early 90's there was a check called a "wilke" (SP?) check. It had a hole in the center so it could be placed at any driving band or the bottom. Handloader did a favorable write up on it, but said that it was a PIA to put in place, had to use tweezers. Apparently the Wilke check never caught on.