PDA

View Full Version : high or low humidity for DT?

Walter Laich
02-05-2014, 11:20 PM
so which is better?

I've never read about this but some have mentioned it in passing

Freightman
02-06-2014, 02:43 PM
low seems to work better for me, but hard to have high humidity in this desert.

bangerjim
02-06-2014, 07:17 PM
We really do no know what makes the powder stick to the lead when rolled around in a plastic tub! Is it static...or just the impact?

Inquiring minds want to know.

In AZ the humidity is normally VERY low, so it does stick. But the "engineering" aspects of it do not make sense. I know I found Coolwhip containers work and Tupperware does not.....at least for me.

If there is any static charge generated, it should be in the plastic, not the lead! And the powder should be really be sticking to the plastic! That is why there is something more to this than we think. It may be all mechanical and not electrostatic.

Hope we figure it out someday.

banger

TheDoctor
02-06-2014, 08:26 PM
I DT in Houston area, and there is not really anything that resembles low humidity here. Haven't tried it in low humidity to see the difference, but it works for me. I use a plastic frozen orange juice can with a screw on cap. No clue what the type of plastic is, the can doesn't say, all I know is its white, and it works.

bangerjim
02-06-2014, 08:46 PM
I DT in Houston area, and there is not really anything that resembles low humidity here. Haven't tried it in low humidity to see the difference, but it works for me. I use a plastic frozen orange juice can with a screw on cap. No clue what the type of plastic is, the can doesn't say, all I know is its white, and it works.

It will have a number on the bottom in a triangle. That is the "recycle" class. Coolwhip is a #5....polypropylene.

HDPE, which is used for pill bottles and gun powder bottles, is a 2.

banger

TheDoctor
02-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Nope, nothing to indicate the material. By appearance and feel, I would guess polypropylene, but that is a guess. Its starting to be used more and more for food item containers.

Walter Laich
02-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I ran across a couple of small tubs in use in my tumbler--they were 5's.
Wife now saves all of them for me.

bangerjim
02-07-2014, 08:55 PM
I ran across a couple of small tubs in use in my tumbler--they were 5's.
Wife now saves all of them for me.

I use my "habit" of reloading as an excuse to have the wife buy more Coolwhip! Goes great with lots of things.....pie, cake, cookies, even nothing!

Have fun!

bangerjim

TheDoctor
02-12-2014, 02:08 PM
With a bit of research, cause it made me curious what my containers were made of, came up with HDPE.

VHoward
02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Very humid here on the Oregon coast. I DT in my Lyman 1200 tumbler and it works well.