PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #452484 .45 caliber mold

Swamprat1052
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
A guy thats on my Varmint Hunting site has a problem. His dad borrowed a Lyman #452484 from a guy and somehow destroyed it. Dont ask me, cause I dont know how. He has tried to buy a new one and Lyman dont make it anymore. Has anyone got one of these he wants to sell or know of a replacement for it. I found the mold in the CastPic archives but havent seen anything like it. I told him to watch ebay.

Swamprat

NVcurmudgeon
12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
A guy thats on my Varmint Hunting site has a problem. His dad borrowed a Lyman #452484 from a guy and somehow destroyed it. Dont ask me, cause I dont know how. He has tried to buy a new one and Lyman dont make it anymore. Has anyone got one of these he wants to sell or know of a replacement for it. I found the mold in the CastPic archives but havent seen anything like it. I told him to watch ebay.

Swamprat

Have your friend ask the mould owner if a non gas check mould will do. If so replace the 452484 with a 452374. They are the same design, except that the 484 has a gas check. Both follow the government jacketed bullet design. Why Lyman ever introduced a GC mould for an 800 fps cartridge has me scratching my head. If the mould owner loads .45 ACP he will probably thank your friend for saving him the expense of buying GC. I have a 452374 single cavity that is one of my favorite moulds. It drops the boolits very easily and they are very accurate.

Swamprat1052
12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the help and advice guys. You aint gonna believe it, I found one on Auction Arms last night. Its a 4 cavity but its the right mold. My friend bought it and his Grandad is a happy camper. Those guys must lead a charmed life.

Thanks again,
Swamprat