PDA

View Full Version : side bar

johnson1942
02-05-2014, 06:53 PM
this has nothing to do with shooting or muzzle loaders but what it is like to live in the remote west. i have 2 outside tom cats that are my buddies, jigs and sweaks. i really love these guys, they are like dogs and follow me every where on my place. well 5 golden eagles were just trying to make my cats their next meal. no we didnt shoot the eagles. we just blew a lot of noise into the air not near the eagles into empty space. they didnt go as far away as i like but moved about 1/2 mile down the pasture. i like the eagles but i hope they forget about my cats. just a side bar from regular muzzle loader things.

HARRYMPOPE
02-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Zeke and Smudge are my kids cats and they get rid of the hantavirus carrying rodents around our place. They follow me around the place like dogs. Good buddies.

George

dondiego
02-06-2014, 11:10 AM
When I was a kid growing up in east Texas, my grandmother had a cat, Miss Kitty, that would follow me around the farm. Why, because I carried a Daisy wherever I went and was good with it. I would pop a sparrow out of a tall tree and Miss Kitty would be on that sparrow like a chicken on a June bug! She could never get too many. Don't ever try to take one away from her either! She could growl like a mountain lion! You didn't want to get too close to her kittens under the porch either.

johnson1942
02-06-2014, 01:54 PM
it turned out ok yesterday, the eagles caught a rabbit about 150 yards from the house and were satisfied with that. they roost about 3 miles from here. hope they stay their. they also love the sparrows that my son shoots for them out of a old .22 with birdshot. they dance around him untill he get them one. liked hearing about your cats as cats have always been my kind of pet.

Omnivore
02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Here along the Washington/Idaho border, there are what seem like millions of hawks, a few bald eagles and tons of owls including great horned. Kitty cat had better keep under cover night and day. Our one cat is a good mouser but he sticks close the house. He was interested in tree squirrels for a while, until one took a chunk out of him. Squirrels have razor sharp teeth.

That's a neat story - with the bb gun and the cat.

CastingFool
02-06-2014, 08:45 PM
We used to have a cat that was good at catching moles. One day, I heard a funny little squeal, and as I looked around, I saw the cat with a mole. It was the mole making the squeal. I went over, got the mole and killed it. The next few times I heard the squeal, I would look for the cat, go over and kill the mole. One time, apparently the cat had enough of me killing her toys. I had heard the squeal, headed for the cat, the cat looked at me, grabbed the mole, and ran off! I don't think I was ever able to get another mole away from her!