PDA

View Full Version : Lee powder through rifle die question re:300blk

wlc
02-05-2014, 06:51 PM
OK, I load for the 300blk on my Lee classic cast turret. I bought a rifle powder through die so I can charge on the press with the autodisc. So far I have been shooting bullets and not cast (other than the small sample of the lee 230gr boolits I got from a forum member that shaved lead because I couldn't flare the mouth). I plan on trying cast through it shortly as I have a 311-155 2R mold enroute. The rifle die doesn't expand the case mouth for cast like my pistol caliber dies do. I've read where folks are using a 30 carbine powder through die to remedy this. My question is could I just buy the "funnel" part from the 30 carbine die and replace the funnel in the rifle die I currently have. Will that work?? I could do either one, but the part is cheaper than the die and some I have read about are having to "ream" out the 30 carbine die for the blk to fit. Thanks for any help!

44Vaquero
02-05-2014, 07:39 PM

The plugs are inter-changeable but the difference in shoulder height is too hi, the cartridge will not be able to enter the die body far enough to reach the belling stem. You would have to cut some off the bottom of the rifle die? I would op for buying the .30 cal powder/expansion die.

On the left is the Rifle plug and on the right is the .30cal expansion/powder plug.

flashhole
02-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Lee also makes a universal case expander die. It would add an extra step but it works great and very handy loading lead bullets.

wlc
02-06-2014, 12:24 AM

The plugs are inter-changeable but the difference in shoulder height is too hi, the cartridge will not be able to enter the die body far enough to reach the belling stem. You would have to cut some off the bottom of the rifle die? I would op for buying the .30 cal powder/expansion die.

On the left is the Rifle plug and on the right is the .30cal expansion/powder plug.

Thank You sir!! I'll order the carbine die.

44Vaquero
02-06-2014, 01:53 AM
The beautiful thing about Lee Equipment and presses is this: They are endlessly modifiable approaching the level of tinker-toys and cost-effective enough that if your idea does not work you are not suicidal!

I actually think either approach is possible, but prefer ordering and modifying the .30 cal die as a cleaner option. Flashhole is correct the universal is another option, I like to keep my # of operations down to a minimum though. It's still a option available to you.

I own several extra dies and bodies and other parts that have never been used. You never know when the need might arise.

flashhole
02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
I agree, for $15 - $20 you won't kick yourself in the buttocks if things go wrong, you just chalk it up as part of the learning curve.

xacex
02-09-2014, 01:50 AM
I am using a Lee 30 carbine powder through die that I just drilled out the body on. Quick and easy to drill the die body, and it works great! Cost about 10$ total.