PDA

View Full Version : Let'r Rust!!!!

Gussy
09-01-2005, 02:10 PM
How about a fresh can of worms.......

I know one "old" caster that gets a new mould and sets it out to rust!! Just a little...

His claim, and I don't disagree, is that it get the "milling hair" off by rusting it then cleaning it and doing it again. Twice, and the inside of the mould is cleaner and smoother. The bullets will drop easier. Similar to raising the grain on wood.

Any comments (like there wouldn't be any!!)....
Gus

felix
09-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Yep, no challenge, Grumble. Might be a good way to get a bigger boolit too. ... felix

sundog
09-01-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm guessin' that the Lee moulds would have to set for a handsome spell....

I have several moulds that have 'accumulated' a coating from time to time, and it doesn't seem to hurt them one bit. sundog

waksupi
09-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Interesting, Gussy. Never heard of doing it with a mold. I do know if you take a dull file, and leave it out overnight in the dew, then let it dry, it will cut good again.

9.3X62AL
09-01-2005, 05:23 PM
The process described kinds of stands to reason, but I don't want to donate a good-working iron or steel mold to the experiment. There is a cantankerous Lyman #454490 I have that might benefit from some neglect--goodness knows good care and tweaking hasn't turned a profit.

Bass Ackward
09-01-2005, 07:13 PM
How about a fresh can of worms.......

I know one "old" caster that gets a new mould and sets it out to rust!! Just a little...

His claim, and I don't disagree, is that it get the "milling hair" off by rusting it then cleaning it and doing it again. Twice, and the inside of the mould is cleaner and smoother. The bullets will drop easier. Similar to raising the grain on wood.

Any comments (like there wouldn't be any!!)....
Gus

Gus,

I see nothing wrong with it as long as you can kill the rust. I knew a guy that would take his molds and sand blast the cavities. Said that it actually made the bullets fall from the mold better and that the surface of the bullet held some lube. Makes since if you NEED more lube, and I would think that it would be preferable to rust. At least it would add to the diameter if needed too.

castalott
09-01-2005, 07:27 PM
as an a side to this....

I knew some guys in the oilfield that wouldn't paint a tank battery until it had rust on it...said the paint would stick better..

StarMetal
09-01-2005, 08:58 PM
castalot

Tell that to an autopainter, see what he says. Yeah it may stick better at the moment it's applied, then fall out pretty quick when the rust continues underneath it.

Joe

Greg5278
09-01-2005, 09:23 PM
I guess it would work, like rust Blueing. The rust has to be stopped, rather than left to continue and pit the surface. The rust blueing on old guns hold up pretty well. Isn't heatdiscoloration on a steel mold also an oxide, and has some protective qualities.

What about the electric deburring methods? I think they use a dilute acid solution, and electric current to remove burrs, without harming the surface. I believe it is similar to Anodizing, but without the addition of a sealer.
Greg