PDA

View Full Version : BLR problem

Tatume
02-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Hello Folks,

Last night I got a brand new Browning BLR in 358 Winchester. I cocked it and checked the trigger pull (nice!), and worked the action with the hammer back a few times. Then I propped it up where I could admire it while my wife and I watched TV.

Today when I got home from work I went straight to the BLR and worked the action. What a mess! It felt terrible. I immediately recognized that the hammer was not being pushed to cock, and the hammer was rubbing on the teeth on the bottom of the bolt. I checked several times, bringing the bolt back to where the cam/lump was directly on top of the hammer, and it was not engaging the sear. I could use my fingertip to push very lightly on the hammer, and I would hear a click as the sear engaged. No amount of coaxing would get the action to operate correctly.

My questions are:

1. Are BLRs known to be susceptible to timing issues like this one? I've heard rumors that they are, but never believed Browning would put a flawed design on the market.

2. If I can get my money back, should I avoid the BLR and get a different rifle?

Thanks for your help.

Take care, Tom

P.s., I've never even chambered a round in this rifle.

phantom15
02-04-2014, 09:16 PM
I have a BLR in .257 Roberts I bought new in the late 80's and have never had any problems with it. I would call Browning asap and see what they say, I'm sure they will make it right.

MT Gianni
02-05-2014, 12:34 AM
It worked fine, you left it propped against a wall and now it isn't OK? What happened in between? I cannot think timing would be effected even if your wife beat attackers with it. Not something I have experienced with either of my BLR's.

Reaper
02-05-2014, 04:25 AM
If you Google problems with the Browning BLR, you'll see a lot of references to current production rifles. It's a proven design from a quality firm. Not clear why there are problems now. My early 80's BLR 81 in .308 is my favorite mountain rifle. Way more accurate than any rifle with a two piece stock should be.

Tatume
02-05-2014, 07:28 AM
It worked fine, you left it propped against a wall and now it isn't OK? What happened in between? I cannot think timing would be effected even if your wife beat attackers with it. Not something I have experienced with either of my BLR's.

As I said, "I cocked it and checked the trigger pull (nice!), and worked the action with the hammer back a few times." It wasn't until the next day that I operated the lever/bolt with the hammer down, depending on the mechanism to cock the action.

OuchHot!
02-05-2014, 03:31 PM
I still own one from the era where the mag protruded from the bottom and have experience with the newer editions. They are in my opinion very reliable and not going to change timing without disassembly. Something is really cockeyed, you need to talk to Browning. They are responsive and reputable.

bearcove
02-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Don't try to take it apart. Just send it to browning. Never met anyone who could put one back together.

Speedo66
02-05-2014, 07:57 PM
So who knocked it over onto the hammer while you were gone?

My pre-81 has operated perfectly since new.

Shuz
02-07-2014, 11:46 AM
I bet someone who didn't know what they were doing, took the gun apart and then didn't line the teeth in the bolt properly. I've heard it said, as others have posted here in this thread, this design is a bugger to get back together properly

Tatume
02-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Shuz,

The gun was new in the box, from a major distributor to a retail seller. The gun was never disassembled, nor even fired. Brand new. The problem with the gun is the cam/lump that pushes down the hammer to engage the sear. It does not push the hammer far enough to engage the sear.

The distributor has been asked to replace the defective gun with a new one.

Take care, Tom

Tatume
02-07-2014, 12:21 PM
So who knocked it over onto the hammer while you were gone?
My pre-81 has operated perfectly since new.

Speedo,

Nobody damaged the gun. The gun was brand new, in the box. It was defective as produced by Browning/Miroku. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Take care, Tom

bearcove
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
If it is new then send it to Browning! They can fix it and probably will do it for free. If you or someone tries and can't Then you will pay.

Tatume
02-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Bearcove,

The distributor has been asked to replace the defective gun with a new one.

Take care, Tom

bearcove
02-07-2014, 08:31 PM
There you go , not your problem to fix it.

Tatume
02-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Well, my question really was, do I want another one? That is, are these rifles delicate flowers and prone to failure? People who have them seem to like them though, and I'm going to give Browning another chance. The distributor has shipped a replacement rifle.

bearcove
02-07-2014, 08:58 PM
I would rather rechamber a 35 rem marlin to 356 rimless. I can tear it down an repair it. The BLR's are nice but, NOT FIELD repairable

Tatume
02-08-2014, 08:18 AM
The 356 Rimless article by Ron Carmichael was an interesting one, wasn't it.

Nobade
02-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Don't try to take it apart. Just send it to browning. Never met anyone who could put one back together.
Yes you have. We got one in a couple years ago in pieces and I had to figure out how to get it to work. Those things are TOUGH to work on! They must have the same engineers who designed that bloody single shot. They try to make things as complicated as possible just because they can.

-Nobade

bearcove
02-08-2014, 11:26 AM
LOL! If I have one in pieces someday I'll remember that!

MostlyLeverGuns
02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
I've carried the BLR, Savage 99, and Marlin levers -1895, 444,336; the early steel BLR in .358, .243, and .308 ran great, a Lightning BLR .300 Win Mag seemed fine, a Lightning BLR Stainless Camo was a jammatic. It has to be wet to function. IT came back from Browning with the same problem. When degreased for cold weather the action absolutely would not open. It took penetrating oil to get things moving. It is great disappointment. I no longer touch anything with Browning on it. All the BLR's were accurate, but left in a saddle scabbard to get dusty the got miserable to operate. They are probably fine for range plinking, sitting in blinds, or the two week a year deer hunter, anyone who spends a great deal of time in comfortable conditions.. As a rifle to keep in the dust and dirt of a truck while engaged in other activities, the Marlins and Savage 99's are better. I hunt elk with a 1980 Marlin 1895 .45-70 or a Savage 99 .358 Win, my farm rifle is either a Marlin .30-30 or Savage 99 .300. My uses a Savage 99 in .243 for antelope. The Savage 99's and Marlin levers can shoot MOA with careful load tinkering. I would not trust a Browning BLR up high in bad weather, hunting seasons are too short.

Lever-man
02-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Sorry to hear about all the problems with the new BLR.......... as I have a new one that will be here in a few days. Just hoping that I don't have a repeat of your problems!!!!! I thought I had done my research pretty well, but reading MostlyLeverGuns post I'm thinking that I didn't research it enough!!!

Tatume
02-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Don't let one opinion sway you. I also heard from a fellow who carries a BLR in 358 Winchester on a daily basis on a ranch in South Africa. He expressed perfect confidence in the rifle and the cartridge for which it is chambered.

dverna
02-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I have "lusted" over a BLR for a while. And I really like the .358. I thought a marriage made in heaven.

This thread has caused me to reconsider. I was not aware they are a nightmare to re-assemble. That is not a good thing.

I like the simplicity of the Marlin 336 but am wary of the new ones and I would be "stuck" with the .35 Remington. A bastard case.

That leaves me with looking for a Winchester 88 or Savage 99 in .358 - both expensive and only available used. The other option is the .35/30 wildcat in a used reworked .30/30 - not a "cheap" (estimated cost $600) gun after spending $300 for reboring. Lastly, is getting a bolt action .358 - but I like lever guns.

Don Verna

Tatume
02-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi Don,

My Savage 99 is a 308 Winchester that I have thought many times about having rebored to 358 Winchester by JES. The action is strong, but the rear locking action takes a toll on cases. The shoulder must be set back on every reloading or the action is very clumsy, requiring a substantial squeeze to close. It really works slick with factory ammunition though. For this reason I probably will not rebore/rechamber it.

There is an article by Ron Carmichael, The .356 Rimless, in an issue Handloader’s Cast Bullet. In it he rechambered a Marlin 336 from 35 Remington. Using a 358 Winchester reamer but limiting loads to 356 Winchester levels he accomplished surprising levels of performance. The article is worth reading. JES would do the rechambering job for about $250.

I'm giving Browning another chance. These guns have been around a long time, and most people seem to really like them. Today I formed a fresh set of cases, annealed and trimmed them, and expect to load and fire them this weekend in the new BLR. I have a lot of guns that I've fired tens of thousands of rounds through, and never disassembled. I don't think that's an issue.

Take care, Tom

jmort
02-09-2014, 01:41 PM
I have always wanted a couple/three BLRs. I know my limits, and would never consider taking one apart based on what I have read over the years. If it stopped functioning I would send it out. With some limited exceptions, I have seen nothing but love from owners.

dverna
02-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Tom,

I hope you make out OK with your BLR. Like I said, I have always liked them - just never realized they were an engineering challenge to put together.

Thanks for the info on the .356 rimless. Never hear of it but will look into it.

Don

OuchHot!
02-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Most of my experience is with a pre '81 BLR in .308. It is still my go-to and has not been babied. I used in in conditions well below 0F and rainy/snowing stuff with no problems. Part of my success may be that the action limits what can get in to it. I am very concerned at MY lack of ability to get in to it, so I am careful to feed it well crafted ammo. If you stuck a round in this one it might be a problem. It has been more reliable under worse conditions than my Montana or two different M700's. That is probably just plain luck, but it is factual. I am skeptical about the current aluminum action/stainless parts as those are two materials that often don't play well......but the ones that I have messed with have worked fine. I kinda want to try one of the take downs but I'm getting old and maybe should just stay with what has worked so far. Very light, very handy, very accurate, and so far, very reliable.

nekshot
02-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I had a early one in 358 and it got used hard in rain, snow freezing conditions (it was that cold one morn I pee'd on my hands too get warmth and then shot a buck in about 20 min, still couldn't pull the trigger finger I had to jerk my whole hand back) the gun went thru a house fire and was soaked and never missed a beat. But I can easily see using one as a tracter-truck gun would be too dirty for one. I always cleaned mine to the max every time I came in from out side.I would not be afraid of one at all.

MT Gianni
02-10-2014, 09:08 PM
My pre-81 BLR in 308 has done well in conditions from -20 to 95 F. My BLR in 358 has been OK but does not group as well as the older gun. I am considering selling it a rebarrelling a 308 bot in 358. It has never failed to function, the older on had a firing pin break which my gunsmith replaced in 2 weeks.