PDA

View Full Version : lead pipe smelting question

twc1964
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Hi folks, I've got a question for you. i recently picked up some lead pipe and I'm not sure how hard this lead is. is it real soft or will i need to add antimony to use it in my pistol loads.

lwknight
02-04-2014, 07:42 PM
I can't say about old pressure pipe but the drain pipe that I have seen is pretty soft.
You might get enough tin from the soldered joints but probably no antimony to speak of in the mix at all.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-04-2014, 07:46 PM
We would have to see it. Touch it, feel it,
Or cast a flat nosed 38 and stick into a hardness test to get a Guess what is?? It can be soft and still not be pure.
99% sure it will be pure though.
What speeds are you driving the bullets? Black Powder or Smokeless?
Do you want them for paper? Or do you want them to shatter on a gong at 100 yards? Do you want a ton of expansion?
Antimony is not the only thing you may want, some Tin will be very helpful, for 3-4 reasons, If there is that need first of all.

twc1964
02-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Thx lwknight. guess i will need to scrape up some lino to harden it a bit.

USSR
02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
It's my primary source of lead. Near enough to pure to call it that.

Don

bangerjim
02-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Lead pipe can be treated as 5 bhn......soft.

You need to get some lino/COWWs/hardball to mix in to up the hardness for pistols. You do NOT add or use antimony! it melts at around 1600F. Get pre-alloyed metals to use.

A hardness tester will be very valuable to you! But they run anywhere from $80-180. The CabineTree tester is the best. You can use artist pencils on the cheap.....do a search on here for details.

Good luck.

bangerjim