PDA

View Full Version : forming the 5.45 X 39 case

Single Shot
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I purchased some formed cases and they were made from 30 Remington cases.

I have a full length die set and some 30 Remington cases on order. The cases are back ordered.

Do you think it would be possible to form 5.45 X 39 from 6.8SPC cases?

The 6.8SPC is the case drawing with the Grey tint. It's my understanding that the 6.8spc is based on the 30 Remington case.

richbug
12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
The 6.8 case should work, just less trimming than the 30 rem cases. I know of someone use used 30-30 cases.

Do you have a lathe to turn the rim, web, and extractor groove down to size?

Scrounger
12-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't think so. Looks to me like the 5.45X39 was made from the 7.62X39 case which has a different base diameter. Other calibers I know of that use the same parent case are the .220 Russian, .22 PPC, and 6MM PPC. I would try necking down 7.62X39 cases if I were you.

Skrenos
12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I dont know why everyone think that 5.45x39 is made from 7.62x39 cases. They are a totally different case size. 7.62x39mm case head size is essentially 40S&W/10mm size, and 5.45x39mm is 9mm parabellum size. 9mm winmag brass would be perfect... if it was longer.

By resizing the cases down .026", you're gonna need to turn a new extractor groove and rim. 6.8SPC brass would probbaly be better in the regard that less trimming is going to be needed on the case which means less neck turning.

Single Shot
12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks

I can turn the rim down.

The formed 5.45 X 39 cases I bought from Buffalo Arms were made from the 30 Remington. I deliberately bought their formed cases to see what they were using.

I have the die set & 30 Remington cases on order but they are out of stock on the cases. I told them to hold the order until the cases come in.

I'll have them ship the die set and some 6.8 spc cases.

Single Shot
01-10-2008, 08:49 AM
OK,

I have been away from the project for awhile but now to update.

They were out of 30 Remington cases so I ordered some 6.8 SPC. This is based on the 30 Remington but is a little shorter. I also purchased the RCBS full length sizing die set.

In addition I made a set of forming dies. It takes about 8 steps to get the brass ready for the final sizing in the RCBS die.

This includes swaging to reduce the base and head diameter, re-cutting the primer pockets and making the primer holes uniform. This is because the swaging reduces the diameter of the primer pocket and hole.

I use a LYMAN primer pocket tool and primer hole uniforming tool in between swaging steps to prevent having to fix the pockets once they are too small to fix with hand tools.

The swaging is done is three steps until I have the base down to the required diameter. Then I re-cut the rim and extractor groove to spec on a small lathe.

I also swage the case neck to 0.2420 and case just below the neck to 0.7430.

This allows easy entrance into the RCBS die for the final sizing.

This sound like a lot of work for ammo that can be currently purchased but as the election gets nearer the cost is going up and if the liberals stop imports in will be not available.

For now I have not stocked up on bought ammo because I get my Primers, Powder, and Bullets for free. So all this work is worth the effort. Of course I will make a brass catcher so I do not lose the brass after all this work.

mroliver77
01-15-2008, 02:49 AM
OK,

For now I have not stocked up on bought ammo because I get my Primers, Powder, and Bullets for free.

Hey I am a buckeye too. (rural Toledo)We could be buddies. I always wanted s buddy that gets free loading supplies!
Seriously, good job on the brass. Some folks lay in front of a TV for hours in the name of "entertainment". I chill out reloading and tinkering with stuff such as this. Time well spent in my reasoning. J

Johnch
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey I am a buckeye too. (rural Toledo)We could be buddies. I always wanted s buddy that gets free loading supplies!

What area of rural Toledo ?

I live just outside Genoa

John

Single Shot
01-16-2008, 04:46 AM
mroliver77

I am east of that Mistake On The Lake. Eastern edge of Lake country right on the North Coast.

Thanks for the compliment. I'll post pics when I get my camera back.