PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights pic

AlaskanGuy
02-04-2014, 01:47 AM
A friend of mine, David Little, took this pic last night over the Copper River Delta here.... I had a good reflection on the Ice dont you think?

AG

starmac
02-04-2014, 01:49 AM
I will have to show this one to the wife, I like them, she is nuts about them. lol

Bzcraig
02-04-2014, 02:21 AM
The aurora borealis is awesome and I haven't even seen it in person!

starmac
02-04-2014, 03:02 AM
The aurora borealis is awesome and I haven't even seen it in person!

While picture of them are beautiful, some more so than others, like this one, they can't do them justice. Maybe a video would be better as they are constantly moving, but I don't ever remember seeing a good video of them.

AkMike
02-04-2014, 03:09 AM
That was GREAT!!

AlaskanGuy
02-04-2014, 03:11 AM
Yea mike, it was purty nice... He shot that standing on the bridge over the copper at mile 28, out the road.... I am sure that you remember the spot.. Only bridge over the main channel 28 miles outta town...

Ag

AkMike
02-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Is he related to Sam Little the singing trucker. That's not that common of a name up here.

starmac
02-04-2014, 03:22 AM
What ever happened to singing Sam. Is he still hauling groceries. This is the first tome I have even heard his name mentioned since he threw his hat in the governor race.

HARRYMPOPE
02-04-2014, 03:25 AM
I saw a hint of them one dark night from Washington state. All of those particles hitting the magnetic field making all that magic makes you realize how insignificant we really are in this small spot among billions upon billions of possible solar systems. I sound like Carl Sagan.

472x1B/A
02-04-2014, 07:51 AM
This is truly a site to behold if you can see it in person. Was stationed in Alaska 3 times and witnessed it each. Thrilling but scary at times.

kbstenberg
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Here in Minn. we see them quite a bit. Only once have I witnessed the whole sky full of the lights. It was increadable. Kevin

Shepherd2
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
That picture is great. I've seen the northern lights several times down here in southern Ohio but they were pretty dim compared to that. Still something to see.

AlaskanGuy
02-04-2014, 10:52 AM
No Mike... He is not related.... He is a transplant, and a tsa guy for our tiny airport....been here for about 10 years .... A really great guy, and knows how to take pictures lol... He has a small shop setup for pic stuff and has come up with some great ones...

Trey45
02-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Never been far enough north to see the lights for myself. Beautiful picture though!

s mac
02-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Pretty neat.

TheGrimReaper
02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
WOW!!! That sure is pretty!

popper
02-04-2014, 11:10 AM
First time I saw them was as a kid in KC. Dad gathered us up to go out and take a look. That far south they appeared as colored bars dancing in the sky.

oldarkie
02-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I saw them in 57 or 58 outside of KCMO when I was a kid,scared he!! out of me. Thanks for the pic.

Blacksmith
02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
I have only seen them once and it was so far south they were not nearly as spectacular. It was probably about 60 years ago and they were visible as far south as Washington DC. My dad loaded us all in the car and drove out into the countryside to get away from the city lights so we could see them. I always wanted to see them where they really shine.

rockrat
02-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Beautiful pic. Saw them once driving thru Minnesota, one summer. They were faint, but still got to see them. Going to Alaska and seeing them is on my bucket list..

John Allen
02-04-2014, 12:08 PM
That is a great pic. It really shows the depth of the area.

Pb2au
02-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Excellent picture. many thanks for sharing.

fatboy
02-04-2014, 12:16 PM
I don't care what you say, that's a purty picture!!!!

AlaskanGuy
02-04-2014, 12:22 PM
David has a small website where he posts some of his photo's of around my town of Cordova, AK...
http://davidlittlephotography.com
There are even some pic's of town, and our main drag.... Lol.. Our harbor is really the main drag of town though, and David loves taking pics of our fishing boats... There are several pic of what we call "Bow-pickers" which are the Pickup truck boats of our gill net fishing fleet, and use a 900 ft flat gill-net, which i build part of the year. The larger boats are seine boats, and use a circular net to encircle salmon, i don't work on those...

waksupi
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM
I enjoy seeing them. Too bad they aren't during the daytime, I don't spend enough time out at night to see them much any more. If they aren't displaying when I go out to pee at midnight, I'll miss them!

Team CK
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
excellent pic

CastingFool
02-04-2014, 12:42 PM
That is a great picture. Never seen the aurora borealis personally, only in photos or videos.

dbosman
02-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Beautiful.
I've seen partial lights, over Lake Huron.
If you travel North enough, and don't make time for looking, your life will be poorer for it.

starmac
02-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the link to his photo gallery.

I am cornfused, I thought all fishing guides hated all commercial fisherman, and then here you are building nets for them, what gives. lol

AlaskanGuy
02-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I.live in a small village.. Most of the folks are just grand... We dont have those problems between commercial-sports fisherman.

AZ-JIM
02-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Gorgeous!
Someday I will witness it in person
When I see those pictures I get the feeling of not being able to be in a more remote, celeste area. Almost as if it happened like no one was watching.

az-jim

Bullshop Junior
02-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I.live in a small village.. Most of the folks are just grand... We dont have those problems between commercial-sports fisherman.

This guy is still so far out of touch with civilization that they can get away with weeding out the folks that are not so grand.

wlc
02-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Awesome pic!! Thanks for sharing it. Even with getting to see them live and in person somewhat regularly they still hold me in complete AWE. They are the single most amazing natural thing I have ever witnessed (short of the birth of my son).

AkMike
02-04-2014, 11:36 PM
That green is the most common color but once in a while you can see every color of the rainbow covering the whole sky with shimmering curtains for beauty.

DeanWinchester
02-05-2014, 12:05 AM
That picture looks too awesome to be real. I know it is, but its hard to believe.

missionary5155
02-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Good morning and Thank You !!!!
I grew up in Michigan. A couple times in my young life I had the privaledge to see a those electro magnetic atmospheric displays. But never with that ice reflection !
Mike in Peru

Bullshop Junior
02-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Awesome pic!! Thanks for sharing it. Even with getting to see them live and in person somewhat regularly they still hold me in complete AWE. They are the single most amazing natural thing I have ever witnessed (short of the birth of my son).

If you had put the word beautiful in that I may have had to disagrew with you.

dragonrider
02-05-2014, 10:13 AM
That must be an awesome sight in person.

aspangler
02-05-2014, 10:38 AM
I saw them in Northeast Tennessee several years ago. At first I thoght that the whole country was on fire, but then saw them with my glasses on and was Awed! Only saw it the one night (it was red down here btw) and it was a featured story on the local news. I don't care what anyone says, IT IS A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT!

Freightman
02-05-2014, 10:43 AM
It is very rare but have seen them in the Texas Panhandle twice in my life, and I said rare I am almost 75 so it is .Very impressive and awesome.

osteodoc08
02-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I really cant wait to see them in person. My poor wife had no idea such a thing existed until I mentioned it to her one day when discussing where I wanted to travel. Never heard of the green flash as well as seen in the Caribbean. I'd like to experience that as well. The world is such a magnificent place we live. I'd love to live in Alaska, but the wifey prefers the beach.

jonp
02-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Holy Jumpin Yo-Yo's! New Screen Saver! I saw some nice green lights several years ago just before Chirstmas in Wisconsin one morning at 0400 when I was heading out to go home.

popper
02-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Reminds me of a TV show years ago of 'sprites' from low orbit. Corona discharges to outer space from storm clouds, and in color. NASA didn't think they occurred until they got some pilot pics. Then outfitted a U2 to get pics and data. David sure does get good composition pics.
Sprites, 19194.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnAAB0z2o-k

BruceB
02-05-2014, 06:30 PM
The city of Yellowknife, in Canada's Northwest Territories, has built a busy winter business providing Northern Lights tours to a JAPANESE customer base.

On strike for almost two years at a local gold mine, I worked two winters for a tour company.

The Japanese culture has high regard for the Northern Lights, and it was visible in several ways. The tourists seemed to fall into two basic groups:

1.: older and more financially-secure couples, who could finally afford to make the LONG and expensive trip from Japan to Yellowknife, and

2.: newlyweds, whose families contributed to the costs of the trip.

The second category was a bit amusing.... in Japan, a child conceived under the Northern Lights is considered to be a fortunate child. So, we would pick up all the tourists at the hotel around sundown, take them out of town to a cabin or similar place away from the lights of civilization, and wait for the Lights to appear.... all night long!

As daybreak approached, they would be returned to the hotel, where they would spend the day in bed behind heavy blackout drapes to allow sleep.... but those newlyweds would also be doing "what newlyweds do".

It's no wonder that many of them appeared VERY sleepy during those all-night sessions of watching the Aurora Borealis, especially after three or four days (nights) of it....

It was quite an opportunity, being actually PAID to watch the displays.

For many more photos, Google "Yellowknife Aurora" or "Yellowknife northern lights" and you should get many possibilities.

AkMike
02-05-2014, 08:42 PM
It's the same with Chena Hot Springs just outside of Fairbanks. The Japs take over the lodge to see the lights and make babies.
I suspect that the Ice Castle and the drinks served in glasses made of ice helps out a bunch also. ;)

starmac
02-05-2014, 09:51 PM
Yup plenty of japanese northern light tours here. The way I thought it was , is the baby has to be concieved while the northern lights are dancing, at least them folks sure don't care where they are or who's watching. lol

wlc
02-07-2014, 07:09 PM
I really cant wait to see them in person. My poor wife had no idea such a thing existed until I mentioned it to her one day when discussing where I wanted to travel. Never heard of the green flash as well as seen in the Caribbean. I'd like to experience that as well. The world is such a magnificent place we live. I'd love to live in Alaska, but the wifey prefers the beach.

We got beaches. Waters a mite cold though and the sand is dark colored instead of white. Believe it or not folks actually wind surf and stuff.

BRobertson
02-08-2014, 02:49 AM
We got beaches. Waters a mite cold though and the sand is dark colored instead of white. Believe it or not folks actually wind surf and stuff.

We used to fly a bunch of surfers down to Cape Fairweather, from Yakutat.
I don't know if they still do it or not.

Yakutat has some of the most beautiful beaches ,
the bears love the wild strawberries

Bob

cummins05
02-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Amazing I saw them a few times in canada but never looked that awesome great picture