PDA

View Full Version : Twists Needed For Wide Deep Hollow Points?

Good Cheer
02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
I am thinking about having a mold altered to be a .451"-.452" x 1" long round nose for paper patch with a very large diameter and deep hollow point. The barrel is 24" twist. Obviously the twist will handle 1" length at subsonic velocities.
Will making the front end very light weight (comparatively) appreciably alter what twist it needs to stabilize?
Any ideas?

bhn22
02-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Weight is almost insignificant in comparison to bullet length.

Good Cheer
02-03-2014, 11:18 PM
OK, thanks for the info. Do you know if the the front end being of much less "density" matters?
I think this is going to work fine but thought I'd pick everyone's brains that I could.

bhn22
02-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Here's something to play with: http://kwk.us/twist.html

This is a program to help you determine bullet length parameters for twist rates.

Good Cheer
02-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks. That is better than the simpler calculator I've been using.
Concerning the density of the front end, what I'm thinking is that when you give the front end a large cavity it creates a condition requiring a faster twist. In other words, the opposite effect from that of having a large hollow in the rear end that lets you get by with a slower twist. And the bullet I'm working towards will perhaps be pushing it, close to the upper limit for the 24" twist.

bhn22
02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
The British originally experimented with hollowpoints as a means of lightening a bullet, to allow higher velocities. Ir was discovered that the resulting bullet mushroomed on impact. The developers knew they really had something, and but that they needed to limit the hollowpoint bullets use to soft skinned "plains" game. An expanding bullet is not what you want when jumbo is bent on reducing you to the consistency of chunky peanut butter & jelly. Bullets lightened in such a manner came to be called "express" loads. Later, as always, the cool term "express" was used to describe pretty much any load where the bullet was light in weight for the intended caliber, regardless of the means used to lighten the bullet. Try not to compare the British of the 19th century with the majority of Brits today. Although there are still good men in Britain, they have to keep a low profile in order not to offend anyone.