PDA

View Full Version : Is this Linotype

xringdave
02-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Found this at the local swap meet.

fastfire
02-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I think Mono type or foundry type. The experts will chime in for sure.
What did you have to give for it?

bangerjim
02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
It is NOT Linotype.

Remember........the name says it all "Line-o-type".........lines of type cast in lead.......NOT individual letters as you show. That is probably mono or foundry type.

bangerjim

lwknight
02-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Much more valuable than linotype.
Probably 5-6 bucks per pound depending on exactly what it is.

Fritz D
02-03-2014, 08:57 PM
It is NOT Linotype.

Remember........the name says it all "Line-o-type".........lines of type cast in lead.......NOT individual letters as you show. That is probably mono or foundry type.

bangerjim

What he said.

bhn22
02-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Monotype. Use sparingly, with plenty of soft lead.

Defcon-One
02-03-2014, 09:57 PM
My first inclination was monotype, then I read this:

Generally, when visually inspecting type, foundry type (15, 23, 62) has a groomed foot or a groove on the bottom while monotype (9, 19, 72) cast type is flat on the bottom. (Tin, Antimony, Lead)

Based on that and your picture, I'd say foundry type.

You'll probably need to test it to know for sure!

DC-1

NewbieDave007
02-04-2014, 01:52 AM
Why the heck is it that I never find stuff like this? Nice!

MaryB
02-04-2014, 02:33 AM
If it has a round notch on one side giving a foot towards the bottom then it is foundry type. Monotype has no notch.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/2013-07-18_01-29-37_824_zpsba4918b9.jpg

osteodoc08
02-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Defintely not Linotype. The linotype Ive seen is in thin ribbons that snaps at 90* when you bend it.

That is pretty awesome though.

tygar
02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Found this at the local swap meet.

Mono or foundry.

OK guys not to get into another thread but I just got some mono/foundry. Some has a groove across the back or side, some is flat. (this is on the single letter blocks)

Here's the kick in the butt....I have checked several blocks & it shows 056 on the Lee tester for 16.6 bhn. That's not any letterpress alloy I've heard of.

I also had spacers & pieces. Checked a spacer & it was 22 bhn, so lino hard.

So, you guys have any ideas?

Trying to decide what to do since it's such mixed hardness & I don't have a machine to test composition.

I'm going downstairs right now to pull pieces from all the different boxes to see if it's all the same but my first test was 3 boxes so I'd guess it will be.
Thanks
Tom

bangerjim
02-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Just treat it as "hard lead" to bump up your hardness. People get way too deep down "in the weeds" on this hardness thing!

You need a GOOD hardness tester to check your mixes. I just got thru mixing up two 4-20 pots of 9bhn and 15bhn by adding a little of this and a little of that (known stuff from my tester results), drawing off a 1/2# ingot, air cooling it, and checking the hardness. If not right, add a bit more of either soft or alloy. I use a Cabine tester for FAST & ACCURATE test. No big whooooop!

You know you have hard lead with that type. That is all you really need to know! Mono....foundry.......who cares. Mix it up, test it on the fly, and cast it into boolits.

Hardness is all relative anyway. ES powder coat your slugs and forget about worrying about hardness for the most part!

And check out the LASC site. Hardness was way over rated back in the old days. Everything had to be Lyman#2. We have found from extensive testing by lots of people, boolits do not need to be that hard.

Works for me............and a whole bunch of others on here.

bangerjim