PDA

View Full Version : Snagged a gem today, got one of my old match guns back!

koger
02-03-2014, 07:38 PM
A friend I had sold this to had traded it off, I bought it back today, one of the best ML's I have ever shot overall. It is a T/C renegade double set stock/lock set up that is glass bedded by me, with a drop in Green Mtn. 1" .45 caliber, 32"long roundball barrel. I had this gun nearly 20 years ago, shot it in matches and groundhog hunted/squirrel hunted with it. Will shoot anywhere from 40-75 grs 3fffg and a .o18 patched .451 roundball into tiny little clusters. I have done well with it at the Alvin York shoot, winning a 10 pk of T bones and won 2nd place in a woods walk at NMLRA nationals in Friendship, along with several local matches around the state. This barrel is super smooth, just does not foul much at all, was sick of trading it off in a moment of stupidity about 6 years ago! The Renegade Stock is nice walnut, tiger striped like Maple! I gave $200 for the whole gun, ss range rod with muzzle guard and .451 mold an a box of 100 ,451 roundballs, guy just don't shoot it, got him a new syn/ss inline. The barrel is worth what I paid for the whole gun, tickled to death to get it back as these barrels are very hard to find! Barrel is bright and shiny, looks new inside, glad they took care of it.

CastingFool
02-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Congrats on getting your old friend back!

DIRT Farmer
02-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Sometimes an old sweet heart comes back, glad yours did. I still haven't gotten to the woods walk, I was scheduled to shoot there in September. There are to many places/matches to shoot and to few days ot Friendship.

TCLouis
02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Oversized must have been a trait with their 45 caliber barrels back then.

I have one from that time period and .440, .441, 200 and 250 grain REAL Boolit molds. The PRBs are loose and I have never gotten a .451 RB mold, but did find a box or .451 RBs last year.

The REALs will fall clear to the breachplug without touching anything.

Lee OS "Minie" will shoot, but one must be careful with heavier loads or it blows the skirts.

rhbrink
02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Yep! Got one just about like that my stock isn't so nice but the Green Mountain Barrels made back about that time were great shooters. 70 grains of powder, .451 ball, .018 twill, I use a mix of 6:1 water to ballistol for a dry patch wonderful shooter.

RB