PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating follow-up & a bit of 'this and that'

Walter Laich
02-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Jumped in with both feet and got HF powder along with some all powder paints powders. Must say I like the app powder but both work.
Tried the tumbler method but pretty much have transitioned to the #5 plastic tubs.
Did notice that nothing seems to happen for 10-15 seconds or so then all of a sudden the powder starts sticking to the bullets--gotta have faith it will work in the early seconds of the procedure
app powder seems to put on a heavier coat
use $25 cheapy toaster oven from wally world for cooking it
might look into PID for it as its thermostat is almost worthless
had to cast about 20# more lead so I had enough bullets on hand--cool!
do about 50 at a time (two loads in T.O.) then let them cool.
Wife even says they're cute
more on the shooting end next post

Team CK
02-03-2014, 07:10 PM
sounds like fun... im about to get my gun...already have oven and powder.

bangerjim
02-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Jumped in with both feet and got HF powder along with some all powder paints powders. Must say I like the app powder but both work.
Tried the tumbler method but pretty much have transitioned to the #5 plastic tubs.
Did notice that nothing seems to happen for 10-15 seconds or so then all of a sudden the powder starts sticking to the bullets--gotta have faith it will work in the early seconds of the procedure
app powder seems to put on a heavier coat
use $25 cheapy toaster oven from wally world for cooking it
might look into PID for it as its thermostat is almost worthless
had to cast about 20# more lead so I had enough bullets on hand--cool!
do about 50 at a time (two loads in T.O.) then let them cool.
Wife even says they're cute
more on the shooting end next post

Powder does liquify in a few minutes. But that is part of the 10 minute bake cycle I use (pre-headed oven).

Putting an expensive PID controller on a cheap oven?????? By the time you buy all the parts and build the enclosure and wire it, you will have more in it than the cost of the best convection oven WalFart sells!

your choice!

bangerjim

Beagle333
02-03-2014, 08:54 PM
What if a feller already has a PID? [smilie=s: Wouldn't it then be just the cost of a $3 thermocouple? :confused:

popper
02-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Beagle. I use the same PID as for the melter, just rewired the heating element to plug into my pot receptacle and drilled a hole for the probe in the side of the oven. Heats up real fast & holds temp great.

Walter Laich
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
do have an entire PID system sitting around gathering dust but then I always appreciate bangerjim pointing out my short comings. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning.

Walter Laich
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Got to shoot some of my PCs in my 45 Colt rifle and revolver.
Hate to say it but I was expecting lights, cameras and fireworks.
what I got was bullets hitting the targets and the barrel very clean afterwards--still would have liked a cheering crowd.
I have two .45 Ruger Vaqueros and only shot PCs out of one after shooting a SASS match.
ran a patch through both and there was a very visible difference in how dirty the barrels were. PC one much cleaner.
will continue and report

Walter Laich
02-06-2014, 10:07 PM
decided to bite the bullet and get an ES gun. HF finally had one in stock.
I love the DT for PBtP powder. It does a great job
but the HF powders are not up to the same quality so the ES route.
I'll give it a try in coming days and see what happens

bangerjim
02-07-2014, 12:17 AM
do have an entire PID system sitting around gathering dust but then I always appreciate bangerjim pointing out my short comings. Gives me a reason to get up in the morning.

They told me from control central it was my day to watch you! HA..........ha!!!!!! [smilie=p:

If you got one by all means.....use it. I sell PID controllers and control systems as part of the engineering company I own.....and do not have one on ANYTHING I own that gets hot! Too much overkill for what I am doing. But I DO have VFD's on all my large stationary shop tools. Now THAT is fun!

banger

mdi
02-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Good thread, but sometimes I wish you fellers would just spell out the words! I haven't done any powder coating of my cast bullets, yet, and I am reading as much as I can on the subject. "...get an ES gun. HF finally had one in stock", "...the DT for PBtP powder" ???

Walter Laich
02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
ES = 10-30 PSI Powder Coating System from HF
HF = harbor freight
DT = dry tumbling
PBtP = powder by the pound - place to buy the powder
***** = fowled up beyond all recognition

bangerjim
02-08-2014, 03:27 PM
And do not forget the one most of us live by.....SWAG!

Scientific Wild Assee Guess.

Works for me!

banger

sparky45
02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Hey Walter; I'm the guy that started the thread over on SASS Wire Forum. I kinda got slapped around pretty good, probably because I chose to engage one or two of the regulars over there that were adamantly opposed to any changes at all, especially "jelly bean" bullets. Glad you picked it up and are running with it. BTW, any flack or comments from fellow SASS shooters? I know for a fact that I won't ever go back to traditional Lubes.
Sparky45(Capt on SASS)

prickett
02-08-2014, 06:36 PM
If SASS is giving you *&^% for "jelly bean" boolits you could always use a clear powder coat.

sparky45
02-08-2014, 07:53 PM
That's what I told them. Still no concessions.

prickett
02-08-2014, 10:10 PM
If it's clear why tell them anything? What they don't know...

Walter Laich
02-08-2014, 10:42 PM
So far club members see it as a non-issue. A couple of mentions that they looked 'funny' but that's about it.
could be that other than a few I carry on my belt you only would see them if you were at the loading table when I loaded.
I did notice they hit the targets and make a 'ding' just like the traditional lubed ones.
Don't leave colored marks on the targets
So all in all I'm continuing my learning about them
As several folks remind me the SASS Wire is not SASS in action at the ranges. I often wonder how many folks they have run off.
walt (Cheyenne Ranger)

kbstenberg
02-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Hey Bangerjim I always wondered about "Swag" Now I know. Thanks Kevin

Walter Laich
02-08-2014, 11:00 PM
and the ever popular SNAFU
Situation Normal, All Fouled Up

bangerjim
02-08-2014, 11:22 PM
and the ever popular SNAFU
Situation Normal, All Fouled Up

I learned it a loooooong time ago with the "F bomb".......... instead of "fouled"!

HA.......ha.

banger

mdi
02-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Heck, most of the time I leave out the S of SWAG, and just guess...

Lunger
02-09-2014, 01:17 PM
HF's red and flat black seem to work quite well for my PCing. They are far cheaper than PBTP or ColumbiaCoating. However, the CC and PBTP are far better coatings, but best left to auto parts or what not.
Recently I've tried applying Al gas checks on my PB pistol rounds. I haven't been able to master it yet but will try as I might until I get them to stop tearing small section out of GC and destroying a section of the PC during seating.

Walter Laich
02-09-2014, 03:34 PM
I learned it a loooooong time ago with the "F bomb".......... instead of "fouled"!

HA.......ha.

banger

me too, but I figure this is a family forum of sorts so went with fouled