PDA

View Full Version : MCA Sports

OKSaddletramp
02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
In an earlier thread, I discussed the possibility of converting a GI M1 Garand to .308. A number of members convinced me this was not a project to take on myself, but have a professional do it, if at all (everyone seems enamored with the GI .30-06). Talking it over with a neighbor, about finding a professional gunsmith nearby capable of doing the conversion, he brought up the Navy "adapter" chamber insert. After a little searching, I came across an outfit called MCA Sports who makes this adapter, as well as an adapter for shooting 7.62X39 for both .30-06 and .308.

I've heard good and bad reports about this adapter (mostly bad) and wanted to get your opinions. REAL EXPERIENCE ONLY. We've all had "someone" with good tales and bad, but I want personal experience, not anecdotal. Many (most) of the negative reports I've come across could be attributed to improper installation/maintenance, and have never been first hand accounts. Others have complained about the gas system modifications leading me to believe they never heard of adjustable blocks, which i am going to install on my Garand regardless, because of my desire to shoot cast.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have tried a chamber adapter before, a .223 adapter for shooting .22 Mag. It was probably made by MCA Sports, but I'm not sure; it came with my Contender barrel in .223. It was a little cumbersome removing the spent .22 Mag shell, but shot accurately (as accurate as the .223) out to 50 yards, the longest range I tried it with. Of course, that's a different system, the .308 insert modifies the .30-06 chamber.

Frank46
02-04-2014, 01:33 AM
Couple things about inserts. They are probably locktited in or swageged in. That basically for all intents and purposes makes your garand a 308 unless you change out the barrel. There are also reports of them also coming out of the chamber upon firing a 308 cartridge and the next firing you can get a nasty suprise. The CMP sells 30-06 garand barrels made by a branch of kreiger called crieterion (spelling?) and if I'm not wrong can do the installation.And either creedmore sports or champions choice do installations as well. If it were me I'd go the new barrel route and have it done by someone you trust and know's how to do it right. Don't remember how much the cmp barrel goes for but think its about 200 bucks. Cheap enough in my book. You may also have to spend some bucks to get it reparked but will have an accurate rifle. Frank