PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on an accurizing/gun smithing manual for ruger 1911

cookvette81
02-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I've had this gun for about a year and only have about 100 through it. I took it out for a run this weekend and it didn't seem to like truncated coned bullets. I know that they run better on round nose bullets but I already have several hundred TC loaded up and I really don't want to redo them all with RN. I thought doing a few things like polishing the feed ramp wouldn't hurt and may even help broaden it's appetite for other types of bullets.

This is my first 1911 and I would like to get a few books on how work on and improve on it some. What do y'all suggest?

Thanks guys, :-)

Caleb

concho
02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
The colt .45 Automatic , A shop manual By Jerry Kuhnhausen .

wv109323
02-04-2014, 12:15 AM
The above book is good and there is another Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook.
I just downloaded for free an older book by Bill Wilson . Poke around his websight or the link to download the Wilson book was on 1911.com.

Artful
02-04-2014, 12:28 AM
What's you loaded round look like? What kind of stoppages are occurring?

cookvette81
02-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Artful, I wish I had taken a picture, but there is a gap that the bullet jumps from the feed ramp to the expanded part of the chamber that was ground out to help with the feeding do the round. The nose of the bullet catches that gap every once and a while.

Artful
02-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Sounds like it's nose diving
A nose dive jam, is when the slide starts to strip the round from the mag, the nose of the cartridge hit’s the bottom of the feed ramp and stops.
Like this:
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/darkhorsephoto/kimber.jpg

- how many magazines do you have of what kind?
Does it do the same with all magazines?
does your loaded ammo look like
http://jeffersonian.therealgunguys.com/pics2009/IMG_0021a.jpg
This?

Is the rim of the cartridge captured under the extractor claw?

cookvette81
02-05-2014, 08:16 AM
I have 2 ruger mags that came with it and 2 colt mags that I bought on clearance at midway.

It does it on all mags.

and yes the ammo looks like the picture. I had to seat the TC bullets just a little deeper so the square part of the nose would clear the rounded leading edge of the mag.

At this point I can't remember the answer to the last question. I was in a little bit of a rush because the instructor was starting to close up the range so I had to hurry up and pack up. Maybe I'll get another chance to trouble shoot some this weekend

Artful
02-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Do you have any factory ammo loaded with bullets with similar profile, and if so have you shot them in your pistol?

375RUGER
02-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Take a pic like this, it will help diagnois.
The feed ramp should be smooth. The 'gap' should be a smooth transition.
The breech face and extractor should be inspected to.
What is your load info? if they are mild loads you may be marginal on cycling.
I have an AMT and a long time ago before I modified it a lot, it only would feed with magazines with extended lips, but it digested everything. You can't buy them now but you can get these for a very good price. http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-7rd-blue-hybrid-cmf-full-size-1911-magazine.html
The hybrid lip is the key.

M-Tecs
02-05-2014, 11:02 AM
http://www.m1911.org/books.htm

cookvette81
02-05-2014, 01:17 PM
I'll try to take a pictured when I get back home to the gun tonight.

As far as the load data, I think it was 4.6 Unique but I'll,have to double check. I remember going with the lowest grn possible to help stretch out what powder I had left. That was one of the possible culprits that I was considering, but I'm pretty sure that I could feel the slide do a complete rack.

I'll post again this evening when I get back to it.

cookvette81
02-05-2014, 11:54 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/ybyhane7.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/yreqe9ep.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/u4asa3ut.jpg

Here ya go

cookvette81
02-06-2014, 12:02 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/06/asajusuz.jpg

The middle one is the reload.

Length:
Left: 1.205
Center: 1.235
Right 1.252

The book says to seat 1.275

Artful
02-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Well I don't see anything obviously out of line.

375RUGER
02-07-2014, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't even touch that, nicely polished already.
You never said what weight bullet.
If they are 200g, I'd be running them hotter than that, but that's just me.

cookvette81
02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Oops, They are 200grn Rainier TC flat nose .451 with 4.6 of unique behind it.

I racked a few rounds in and out using the different mags I had to see if it was the mags, and the squared off part of the nose would catch that little gap lip going from the feed ramp to the chamber.

I really should have put round nose bullets in it, didn't expect for TC to give this much issue.

MtGun44
02-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Switch to H&G 68 or accurate clone to solve feeding issues.

Bill

Artful
02-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm looking at your ammo picture and thinking have you tried seating a little deeper?

cookvette81
02-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Yes, I tried seating a few at 1.205. That matched the shortest of the factory rounds pictured

Artful
02-09-2014, 11:52 PM
And the factory rounds functioned fine? - very strange

cookvette81 they do function fine - right?

Jupiter7
02-11-2014, 03:37 AM
It's your first 1911. After you get the loads and feeding figured out. Shoot it, a lot. Work on being accurate and not accurizing the gun. The feed ramp looks good in the picks.

prs
02-11-2014, 11:17 PM
New pistol with fresh springs, light charge, keep shooting a lot before moding. The Ruger (Checkmate) and Colt mags you have are hybrid; the Colt mag springs seem a bit less robust. My two SRs function with those mags very well with many magazine styles, but my hand loads are at or just above middle or recipe for charge. Powder will show up sooner or later.

prs

archmaker
02-20-2014, 11:18 PM
I agree with prs, with it being a new gun, remember it is easy to take off metal hard/impossible to put it back on. I have been reloading for a long time, but only in the last few years for a semi-automatic pistol.

I can tell you that I am still learning what makes my 1911 tick and what doesn't.

If you can find some factory hardball and the problem continues then yeah you may want to start messing with the gun, but start with magazines, springs, stuff that are easily switched/replaced, before you start removing metal, especially from the frame.

David2011
02-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Oops, They are 200grn Rainier TC flat nose .451 with 4.6 of unique behind it.

I racked a few rounds in and out using the different mags I had to see if it was the mags, and the squared off part of the nose would catch that little gap lip going from the feed ramp to the chamber.

I really should have put round nose bullets in it, didn't expect for TC to give this much issue.

I agree that the TC shouldn't be a problem. The whole point of the TC is that its geometry should give the same contact points as a FMJ ball round.

When you took the photos was the slide stop in place? The bottom back edge of the barrel seems to be a hair too close to the feed ramp to me but I didn't see a slide stop in the pictures. The slide stop could position the barrel a little farther forward (good) or a little farther back (very bad).

David

seagiant
02-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Hi,
Are you taper crimping!!!! That bullet should run!

cookvette81
02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I went ahead and ordered some RN bullets to give them a shot. I had the range instructor at my police academy take the gun to an armorer/gunsmith, and he suggested to not make any changes other than polish the ramp and run the bullets that are suppose to be used. He didn't suggest any girding or modifications cuz that would reduce the integrity of the frame too much. He suggested the same as a few others, just shoot it and break it in.

Artful
02-23-2014, 08:46 PM
breaking it in is always good but the key to TC bullets running well is that they rim of the flat hits the ramp/frame just the same as the roundnose
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52653&d=1314925371
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52652&d=1314925371
* edit to add illustration as why TC and RN should be hitting same on ramp...

- and you did say the factory TC rounds would run without problem correct?

cookvette81
02-23-2014, 08:48 PM
breaking it in is always good but the key to TC bullets running well is that they rim of the flat hits the ramp/frame just the same as the roundnose - and you did say the factory TC rounds would run without problem correct?

They were factory RN that ran with no problem. I think they were Winchester white box.

Artful
02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
They were factory RN that ran with no problem. I think they were Winchester white box.
Have you tried factory Truncated cone design in the gun?

The Browning style auto pistols were designed with round nose bullets in mind,
and generally will feed either style with no problems if OAL is correct on TC rounds.

cookvette81
02-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Have you tried factory Truncated cone design in the gun?

Not yet, and I'm trying to avoid buying factory... Hurts my feelings when I get to the cash register. But I suppose I should get at least one box for experimental purposes. I think I'll do that next time I find some :-)

I'm just going to take these extra TC bullets and load them in my 45LC, they are lighter than I normally use but I'm just punching holes so no biggie. I'll just load these as powder puff rounds so maybe the wife will give the Ruger Blackhawk a try, she looks at the size and gets scared (insert crude joke) lol.

Caleb

lksmith
03-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Not yet, and I'm trying to avoid buying factory... Hurts my feelings when I get to the cash register. But I suppose I should get at least one box for experimental purposes. I think I'll do that next time I find some :-)

I'm just going to take these extra TC bullets and load them in my 45LC, they are lighter than I normally use but I'm just punching holes so no biggie. I'll just load these as powder puff rounds so maybe the wife will give the Ruger Blackhawk a try, she looks at the size and gets scared (insert crude joke) lol.

Caleb

Look at the buying ammo as getting more brass.
As others have said, shoot more to loosen it up.
I have a SR1911 and my 200gr cast with 5.3gr of HP38/231 and it is flawless.

2AMMD
03-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Wolfe publishing put out "The Custom Government Model Pistol" by Layne Simpson, Mine is Copyright 1992. 600+ pages. It covers the design of the various different models and then just about everything that can be done to achieve and improve reliable function and accuracy. Did a quick search and it appears to readily available from several sources, including Midway.
2AMMD

deltaenterprizes
03-05-2014, 07:49 PM
My Ruger SR 1911 feeds H&G 68s with 3.7 gr Bullseye with no problems
Are you taper crimping ?